Strange eye question...

Submitted by Lou on 3/26/06 at 2:52 PM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 71.114.155.117

So I was thinking about this over the weekend... Why do humans have the whites of their eyes showing when 99.9% of other mammals only show their's when looking at an angle or when showing agression?
Things that make me go "Hmmmmmmm..." :-)

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Cause we're a predator species

This response submitted by George on 3/26/06 at 5:42 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.131

And you've been watching prey species.

But why...

This response submitted by Lou on 3/26/06 at 6:05 PM. ( ) 71.114.155.117

What purpose does having the white showing serve? Does it allow more peripheral vision?

it aids in judging distance

This response submitted by Mr.T on 3/26/06 at 8:40 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.132

The Civil War troops were told not to shoot until they could see the whites off their enemies eyes, because smooth bore guns were only accurate enough when the enemy was that close. That is why we have the white around the Pupil, it tells us when to shoot.

Lou, you have the chicken before the egg theory working

This response submitted by George on 3/26/06 at 10:39 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

It's not the white SHOWING that matters, it's the ability to rotate the eyes so that you can judge depth. We are BIFOCAL and by rotating the eyes instead of the head, you can judge distance. I guess you've never seen a deer close up and watched how much white is exposed on one when they are alarmed or they're looking at very close objects. If you were unable to rotate your eyes, there'd be no need for the whites. Look at an insect or any bird or small game species.

Heck

This response submitted by Alex on 3/26/06 at 11:40 PM. ( ) 66.32.7.82

I saw this year, how white the deer eyes can show.
I was up on the tree stand and had seen nothing all morning, the seat on my friend's tree stand is just not butt friendly, so after 3 hours up there, i decided to get down and lay flat on the floor in a ditch as I waited for my son to pick me up.
I lifted my head up and met a yearling deer face to face, he was less than two feet away from me, he split his legs and place his chin on the ground and put his ears back (Bambi reaction), and snortted a few times, he just kept looking at me with his eyes real big, I could have sworn his eyes were out of their suckets,LOL

so they do show a lot of white when they are scared and surprised

Yes...

This response submitted by Lou on 3/27/06 at 7:33 AM. ( ) 71.114.155.117

Nice story Alex!

George, yes I've seen deer up close when they try looking at an exterme angle or when they're scared. Yes, I saw the whites of their eyes. If we're BIFOCAL, which allows us to judge distance better, then I would assume cats, canine's, and raptors are as well. As they hunt by judging distance (ie chasing prey down). When any of these animals are relaxed the white of their eyes hardly show. LOL, Am I missing the boat you pulled up in George :-)

BTW, I don't know why I thought of this, but I sure did want to hear what reason I'd get back.

Yep, you missed the boat all right

This response submitted by George on 3/27/06 at 8:08 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

And yep, it's a stupid question to ask in the first place. You know, why is water wet, why is grass green, why is the sky blue in daylight and black at night? We don't need the area of most predator animals in order to see. Remember, they hunt at night for the most part as well. So since you're on stupid questions, why are humans iris' colored and animals not? How do they see in moonlight and we don't? Why don't most prey animals see in technicolor? Why do your eyelids close when you sleep? Why is every human voice distinguishable from every other humans? Why do humans have so many textures of hair? Why are humans ears on the sides of our heads and stationary while predators of other species are on top ans swivel? Why can't cardinals mate with blue jays? How can birds sleep on a wire without falling off? How do deer know exactly where to stop when I'm bow hunting so that a tree is right in front of them?

I'll answer some for you...

This response submitted by Lou on 3/27/06 at 10:47 AM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 209.234.147.4

Maybe next time you can bring a crusise ship so I don't miss the boat :-)

Here's some answers to your questions.

why is water wet:
Water is wet because it's liquid and our sensations\senses say it is so

why is grass green:
Grass is green because all of the colors in the rainbow are absorbed into the leaves of the grass except green.

why is the sky blue in daylight and black at night:
The blue color of the sky is due to something called Rayleigh scattering. http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html

why are humans iris' colored and animals not:
The iris's of animals are colored. Cats are goldish (hell some are blue), canines can range from blue to gold, goats, sheep and deer all have colors ranging from dark tan to light gold.

How do they see in moonlight and we don't:
They see better than us in moonlight because of something called the "tapetum lucidum". These work like mirrors that allow the retina a second chance at absorbing more light.
http://ebiomedia.com/gall/eyes/nocturnal.html

Why don't most prey animals see in technicolor:
Most animals can harldy see color (I'm assuming that's what you mean by techincolor) because their eyes are made up mostly of rods and not cones, like ours. These cones are what allows us to see in color.

Why do your eyelids close when you sleep:
Our eyes would dry out if we didn't. Blinking and closing your eyes allow the moisture generated from the tear ducts to coat and moisten the eye.

Why is every human voice distinguishable from every other humans:
This comes from a combination of the tension of the vocal and the size of the tongue and lips.

Why do humans have so many textures of hair:
I don't know this one...

Why are humans ears on the sides of our heads and stationary while predators of other species are on top ans swivel:
We come to the point where we don't need them anymore and natural selection is taking over. It's being breed out of us  I know some who can still wiggle their ears 

Why can't cardinals mate with blue jays:
Jays and cardinals are in the same order "Passeriformes) so theoretically they can breed and create an interspecific hybrid.

How can birds sleep on a wire without falling off:
I've never seen this first hand, but I'd probably have to say excellent balance allows them this luxury. I'm sure if I came up and shook the crap out of the wire they'd loose their balance and fly away .

How do deer know exactly where to stop when I'm bow hunting so that a tree is right in front of them:
LMAO, you're picking crappy stand sites! That's why!

BTW, only those who hold a closed perseption of the world deem others questions "stupid".

the biggest mystery

This response submitted by Mr.T on 3/27/06 at 10:50 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.80

Why does she get a different word picture than I do, when we hear the same words, as in directions, instructions, and advice? She hears the same words that I do, but it registers different and she gets a different view than I do. Why is that a mystery? Or is it just me?
Please no comments from the ladies.

George, Once Again...

This response submitted by Bob on 3/27/06 at 12:02 PM. ( ) 4.154.131.99

You are gracing us with your condescending remarks. Just stop responding to questions on here. You prey upon guys that ask legit questions so that you can try to one-up them. I along with many are sick of this. You will not see me jump your crap when you truly try to help people but I don't think that would be enough for you. You are no expert in any area of taxidermy except the politics of it. Save us your opinions unless they have use. Lou, you had a good question. Maybe re-post this issue here and in the gamehead category and you might get a real answer. I too am curious.

Oh Bob, why don't you go pack sand

This response submitted by George on 3/27/06 at 6:20 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

There was nothing "condescending" (except your ability to have cognizant thought patterns) in Lou and I jabbing back and forth. Only someone who NEVER contributes to this site like you would misread that.

There really IS no REASON behind his question any more than his incorrect answers about several issues. Water is wet only because we've defined what wet should feel like. Grass is green only because of chlorophyll and again, we don't know where that came from either. The human iris can and is a multicolored prism compared to the rest of the animal kingdom. Deer eyes tend to be always brown while humans can have a kaliedescope of colors present. Birds don't deal with theory quite well and cardinals and bluejays can't interbreed (and don't). Some people can wiggle their ears but none can swivel them as a fox or a deer might. Now birds sit and sleep on wires due to mechanics. The tendon in a birds leg closes the talons just as soon as the knee flexes. So a bird can sit on a wire without having to do anything special. Once it squats down, the talons lock the leg secure.

And Lou, you're right about my treestands. I have this uncanny ability to do just that.

:-)

This response submitted by Lou on 3/27/06 at 6:30 PM. ( ) 71.114.155.117

I knew I'd get a reply sooner or later!

BTW George

This response submitted by Lou on 3/27/06 at 7:26 PM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 71.114.155.117

"Go pack sand!" is something my Dad says ;-)

See George, I knew ya could!

This response submitted by Bob on 3/28/06 at 4:58 AM. ( ) 4.154.132.94

See...all you had to do is answer his question without being your usual grumpy old self. I am also tired of you talking about my lack of contributions to this site. If you only knew! You may have shared more responses with your mumbo jumbo comments, but I have bought and sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise to many of my comrads here and I don't need to advertise myself to do so. A long time ago I told you that I will not post my e-mail address because I am SMART and don't want to go through what Jeanette went through a couple of years back. By the way, have you ever went back and read some of your comments like this last one? Self-explanatory!

Bob, you just keep telling me "If you only knew".

This response submitted by George on 3/28/06 at 8:51 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.204

Well, it's rather obvious I don't and I can only go by where you name pops up (aside from outhouse walls). You could have sold a zillion items, but that's no help to anyone seeing it. Look at Forrest Gump. "SMART" people don't hide. I post my email on every thread I respond too. I'm trolling for those sicko's and I guess they know it. I have had only two "incidents" ever and they, like you proved to be those mental midgets. If someone "wants to get you", not posting your email address here is the least of your worries. With a high speed connection or DSL, you're already fish bait when it comes to being tracked down. Now how smart does that make you? YOU seem to have a personal chip on your shoulder about me. Well BOB, sucks to be you I guess. You'll just have to live with it. You seem to enjoy being just a sob sister with a self indulgent streak. My mother had a saying: "Fools names, like monkey faces, are always stuck in public places." Here's one I read recently that might apply to you. "By the way, have you gone back and read your past commentslike this last one? Self-explanatory" And as Lou's wise dad so succinctly advises, "why don't you go pack sand".

YYAAAAAWWWWNNN!

This response submitted by Bob on 3/29/06 at 1:36 AM. ( ) 4.154.132.41

It gets old seeing your same responses and comebacks. Did you really get well or did they just send you home from the hospital because you were iritating them? As the great Clint Eastwood said... "You are boring the h@ll out of me"! I am done with this thread, but I am sure you will hear from me again soon. It shouldn't take you too long to find someone else asking a decent question, and slam em'. Toodles!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu