WHERE IS BEST U.S. DESTINATION TO HUNT REDHEADS?

Submitted by MATT on 3/28/06 at 4:14 AM. ( ) 24.217.81.241

WHO BETTER TO ASK THAN MY TAXIDERMY FRIENDS CONCERNING THE BEST PLACE IN THE U.S. TO HUNT REDHEADS. I'VE READ MUCH ABOUT THE LAGUANA MADRE OFF THE GULF COAST OF TEXAS, BUT I'VE HAD TOUBLE PINPOINTING A QUALITY OPERATION THAT WOULD GIVE ME A REALLY GOOD CHANCE OF BAGGING SOME OF THESE HIGHLY PRIZED BIRDS. I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO STAY IN THE U.S. AND I'D PREFER NOT VENTURING INTO MEXICO. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Hollywood!

This response submitted by BB on 3/28/06 at 4:44 AM. ( ) 4.154.132.94

There is some pretty hot redheads there but make sure they are TRUE redheads. The eyebrows usually give it away.

Red heads

This response submitted by Jeff on 3/28/06 at 7:36 AM. ( ) 12.183.102.212

I got and had one of those true redheads, red right down to the snapper. just the way you like. And boy, they can be evil! Best of luck hunting for these prize specimens.

Matt, first things first

This response submitted by George on 3/28/06 at 9:16 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 162.39.213.20

GET OFF THE CAPITAL LETTERS. CLICK YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY. Now, you can talk sensibly where it can be read and you won't be SHOUTING.

Redheads are found in both the Northeastern and Northwestern estuaries of the U.S. The farther the better. The "best" place to find them would probably be the Northwest with British Columbia probably being the better place to choose.

Mexico aint that Bad.

This response submitted by Steve on 3/28/06 at 11:35 AM. ( ) 199.20.121.94

I would not rule out Mexico. I've done some west coast Mexico duck hunting and I'd have to say that it turned out to be safe and one of the better hunts I've ever had. Since they have a very, very late season, you can get some really nice birds. The only draw back is the cost. It can be a little pricey.

Miami

This response submitted by Alex on 3/28/06 at 1:41 PM. ( ) 66.32.7.82

I really don't know where all these redheads are coming from, but latley that is all I see in South Beach. Must be Irish Lol

Great Salt Lake Marshes for redheads

This response submitted by Dale on 3/28/06 at 6:14 PM. ( ) 67.2.109.112

The fresh water marshes on the northeast side of the Great Salt Lake hold thousands for redheads during the season. There are several state waterfowl management areas there that are excellent if you are targeting redheads. I would recommend Howard Slough, Farmington Bay, and Ogden bay. The Bear River Bird Refuge can be good at times but isn't as reliable for redheads. These areas start to ice up around Thanksgiving time. The birds have great color and no pin feathers after mid November so you have a good 3 week time slot to take some nice birds. Dale

try nyc

This response submitted by crittercoroner on 3/28/06 at 6:48 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.66

during the St Patricks Day Parade.

Redhead T shirts

This response submitted by Tim on 3/29/06 at 3:23 AM. ( ) 4.246.138.25

There's a website, fowlwear.com Has some great hats and t shirts and a great redhead duck comming in with an "attatude" and it says something like "the only redheads my wife will let me play with" or something like that. Check it out. Tim.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu