picky clients

Submitted by Jim Marsico on 3/30/06 at 10:21 AM. ( ) 71.209.65.198

Yesterday I went over to the home of a good client but fairly new client of mine and for the first time saw all his many mounts he has taken world wide over a number of years. Have any of you had clients that were very picky about quality taxidermy, even acting like taxidermy judges when they come into your studio and then when you see all the other work they have in thier homes done by other shops, even big name shops you are suprized most of it SO bad, and they seem very happy with it all!? I mean really below average "stuff"; anyway it sure always makes me take a deep breath, oh well.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

i think

This response submitted by lee on 3/30/06 at 10:30 AM. ( ) 70.110.50.153

some people act that way just to make them seem important in your eyes. as long as the bring you their work then i guess they are satisfied. its amazing the so-called friends you acuire just because you are a taxidermist.

Some people

This response submitted by Mark on 3/30/06 at 10:42 AM. ( ) 65.69.162.56

may have been burned with poor work from other taxidermist, they develope an attitude just to make sure you don't get to relaxed. It kind of makes you wonder. And like Lee said if he;s returning with work to you all is good, he must be satified.

I agree with Jim

This response submitted by Jeff on 3/30/06 at 10:57 AM. ( ) 70.57.161.98

I would say that only about 10% of my customers are really knowledgeable about taxidermy and then another 40-60% are self proclamed experts on the subject. I personally appreciate the customer that admits that they dont know much about this art form and wants me to educate them on the basics of what goes into a mount.

always striving for improvement and

This response submitted by paul e on 3/30/06 at 11:01 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 72.150.44.150

relating to live reference is the way to go
but some customers still dont know what the heck they are looking at
paint the ears like a real deer and some would freak out
nose to
i think this is where customer relations come in
and a choice between a satisfied customer and a devotion to realism
is forced to a duel
you can educate some customers
but as we all know some people know everything
and thats when taxidermy can test the patience
you can begin to ask yourself
am i in business to make money,or am i doing the art of taxidermy
i think there is definately a art to customer relations

we will always have picky customers i guess

but in our lives there will only be a certain number of mounts we will do

i always gravitate to reproduce a mount that will mimic as best i can a live animal
unless a customer insist on a mount that looks like a picture he has in his head of what a mount should look like ,go figure
paul e

self-proclaimed experts

This response submitted by Becky P on 3/30/06 at 12:42 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.201

Yep, I just love the ones that are experts. It's one thing to be educated, but the ones that come in and act like judges really irritate me. I want to tell them if they know more than me and how to do it, then do it yourself. People never cease to amaze me. BP

Jim Marsico

This response submitted by Jonas on 3/30/06 at 3:09 PM. ( ) 24.147.192.28

I read your post with interest, and would like to respond, seeing as I have raised many hackles by being that picky customer that you described. I can only speak for myself here, though what I tell you probably applies to many sportsmen. When we first take an animal worth sending to the taxidermist, most of us take our animal to either the first taxidermist we find, or the taxidermist with the nicest showroom. If we're lucky, this person is honest and competent, and does a good job, and thereafter gets all of our business. I suppose that a fair amount of the time a client either isn't happy with the job that is done, or perhaps he or she simply sees a mount that reflects better workmanship. I would imagine that if this is the case, the client then takes his work to the "better" taxidermist. The problem with this, of course, is that now the old work doesn't look so good by comparison. It can be a painful decision to take an old trophy off of the wall, even if the work is of inferior quality. I guess that it would be a fair assessment to say that there are as many types of clients as there are taxidermists. Some of us see more of the animal than others, just as some taxidermists will see and reproduce more detail than others. I hope that my reply didn't ruffle too many feathers ( no pun intended ). To those of you who are at the top of the profession, my hat is off to you.

good points

This response submitted by Jim - www.jamesmarsico.com on 3/30/06 at 8:31 PM. ( ) 71.209.65.198

I agree with you and thanks for posting and thanks for being a taxidermy customer. I sure do NOT mind my clients being very picky as I know my work is very good and can stand it. I just sometimes do not understand how the same person can be so picky with me and then "seem" so satified with thier other work that is poor. The client I described only left his last taxidermist, whos work makes my grit my teeth because he moved into this area from another state and not appartently because he was unhappy with the work!? But maybe they are not really and as you said want better now that they know better. Thanks again for that view point of it.

So what you

This response submitted by Alex on 3/30/06 at 10:59 PM. ( ) 66.32.7.82

Need is a phoney customer friend of yours ,who appears to be a big hunter, have him walk in your shop as the guy is picking up his mount and say WOW ! that is gorgeous mount , I never seen such quality in my life, blah Blah Blah.
He will go home happy,LOL

Kiss this alex

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 3/31/06 at 11:15 AM. ( ) 71.209.65.198

what most taxidermist's need is business savy, which Alex you do not have.

I like the

This response submitted by Bill Richards on 4/1/06 at 7:56 PM. ( huntingfool46@aol.com ) 205.188.116.201

customers who are "friends" of yours. They want their mounts to be your first priority, and call every other week to see if it's done. "I mount them in the order I receive them", is what I tell everyone, including hunting buddies, though I will offer them a "family and friend deal". I just got done mounting MY turkey from last year, as it was the first in the freezer for a lifesize mount. I sent pictures to my buddy, who I'm mounting a full strut for. His response, "Looks great, but mine will be bigger, right?". I reminded him that tho' mine is posed in a half strut gobble, and his will be full strut, my bird was heavier, but at the same time, assured him he'll be happy with his mount. Oh well.., grin and bear it I guess.,
Bill

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu