It's probably just me

Submitted by George on 3/30/06 at 12:17 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.117.73

But I'm amazed at the gall of some people posting on this site. In the last few weeks I've seen:

A commercial tannery asked: "What type of oil do you use?" (Yeah, like someone's going to give away their proprietary secrets)

Several master fish guys: "Send me your paint schedule." (DUH! These guys actually teach others who PAY for those services and you want it FREE?)

Wanted: " Professionally wet tanned 7x21 winter deer cape." (Would you like me to mount it while I'm at it?)

Question: " I hear all the good things about Stop Rot. Would somebody tell me some bad?" (Let me think a minute here. I had a shi1tty hide that was spoiled anyway and I used Stop Rot and the hair fell out. Hmmm, wonder if it was Stop Rot's fault to begin with.)

Wanted: "I have a customer who wants a lifesized Rhino." (Yep, and I want to hunt Argali sheep from a helicopter.)

But again, it's probably just me.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

how about

This response submitted by mimes on 3/30/06 at 12:31 PM. ( ) 64.233.135.28

How about the ones that come out and say they dont have the time to click the orange button but still want you to give them an answer. Oh well, I usually just ignore those types of posts.

What about

This response submitted by Don on 3/30/06 at 2:10 PM. ( ) 68.23.23.206

What about the people who write a stupid message to complain about stupid messages.

You mean like...

This response submitted by Greg Waite on 3/30/06 at 2:18 PM. ( ) 70.60.232.65

the stupid people that write posts about the people writing stupid messages to complain about stupid messages. It is ridiculous, people wanting hides turned, fleshed, tanned to fit certain sizes. People who say "I searched the archives" and you know darn well they didn't. And then get mad when they are called out. We all try to help out everyone, who asks nicely, but a little work on their part isn't too much to ask.

Other side

This response submitted by Justin Best on 3/30/06 at 2:51 PM. ( mrjwbest@yahoo.com ) 69.179.33.86

I can't see getting upset over such trivial things. As far as the person wanting the 7x21 inch tanned cape for example. I'm sure in some cases someone has a customer that didn't take care of the deer, or who knows what, and anyway, they need a new cape.

Is it THAT wrong to ask for a professionally wet tanned cape in here? Yes, if someone is doing nothing but buying pro wet tanned capes, it would be a little odd, but then again, they wouldn't be around in the business long either.

And as far as the other things go, yes there are some less than intelligent people posting in here..I'm sure I've posted my share of them as well, but this is life. Dealing with the things that people do that don't suit our exact way of life, is just part of it all.

Just my opinion on the issue..not trying to start a war here.

Justin, then let me asked you

This response submitted by George on 3/30/06 at 5:16 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.68

You just screwed the pooch on the only extra 7x21 hide you had OR the customer cut its throat with a dull machete and paid you up front to mount the deer. Now just how badly do you need a replacement? If it were ME, I'd take a 7x21 covered with cow dung as long as it wasn't rotting and the hair falling out. So why not just ask if anyone has a 7x21 instead of "if all the nasty work isn't done for me already, I'm not interested so don't even bother"?

Ye have not because ye ask not

This response submitted by sjh on 3/30/06 at 5:26 PM. ( ) 4.231.86.207

One never knows until they ask!

Yet when ye beg, ye should have some class about it

This response submitted by George on 3/30/06 at 6:44 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.68

Like maybe a PRIVATE email or even a phone call?

George

This response submitted by Justin on 3/30/06 at 6:50 PM. ( ) 64.70.24.58

I guess it's all in how you perceive the question. Until someone has a business established, there can be snags along the way, as us beginners are still learning to streamline the processes, or just plain get a regular process established as far as that is concerned.

You may find it strange to buy a tanned cape since you have a nice setup for shaving and tanning, but some of us don't have that yet.

If I was on a tight schedule, and needed a cape, I would also try to get a tanned one most likely, as I send ALL deer hides to a commercial tannery, and have no way to shave and tan here yet.

If it was early in the season when I was doing all of my deerhead processing, I would request a green frozen or salted cape, and send it with some others to the tannery. If it was now, I would try to obtain a tanned one. ( I myself would probably check the tanneries for a cape that I needed, and would also be willing to pay the price). What I'm trying to say, is that there are many factors to figure in.

If the person was asking for a wet tanned cape and trying to jip you out of it that's one thing, but if they are willing to pay extra for the work being done, then I see it as nothing other than doing business. It all depends on your personal setup.

If I were to post a message in here looking for a tanned cape, it would be because of a time issue, not because of not wanting to split, turn etc.

You and I could read the same post on this issue, and perceive it totally different.

Take care - JB

Wake Up George!

This response submitted by Bob on 3/30/06 at 8:45 PM. ( ) 4.225.232.54

You are correct, it is just you! Listen to yourself! Is it the medicine that you are on that is causing you to make posts like this? We are all entitled to ask ANY question regarding taxidermy on this site. Just because you think you are all-knowing doesn't mean others shouldn't search for answers. Who cares if a commercial tannery asks a question like that? Most of the good tanneries are so busy that some of them will share information like that. If that particular tannery is not happy with their oil, who else are they supposed to ask? I would say they should ask a successful tannery and not you for sure. Talk about "Duh"! As for your paint schedules bash, I received paint schedules years ago from McKenzie on all species from guys like Matt Thompson, Tom Sexton, etc... I bet they didn't raise a big stink about their sacred paint schedules getting out. The problem with you raising your question about this is that why should taxidermists and other artists share their information at the National, World or State Taxidermy competitions? They are giving away secrets (not all of them) to everyone. Do you think they should do this? I can't wait to hear you justify whatever answer you will give to this. The more you talk, the less you make sense.

Its just you, George

This response submitted by Steve on 3/30/06 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.8

Its just you

George, did you ever think

This response submitted by Ron on 3/30/06 at 9:11 PM. ( ) 12.181.15.209

Maybe it is just me! Maybe I really am a whining idiot.

OH the Bopsy twins are reunited

This response submitted by George on 3/30/06 at 10:03 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.68

Good ole Sphincter Bob and Orifice Steve have finally teamed up on a post. You know, if you two really worked at it, together you could form one perfect ...(bet you already guessed it. You two are really smart guys. LMAO)

George

This response submitted by Steve on 3/30/06 at 10:15 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.68

Youre such an a?hole.

No wonder

This response submitted by Alex on 3/30/06 at 10:47 PM. ( ) 66.32.7.82

The People that make Prozac are getting reach, is there a shortage of prozac or what ? LOL

Just like you George...

This response submitted by Bob on 3/31/06 at 12:25 AM. ( ) 4.154.130.113

to start your pathetic name-calling instead of answering my question. You are putting down people in the industry for wanting information but you are also then putting down the people that are giving information via seminars, videos, etc... The only thing more pathetic than you sharing on this forum is the people that look up to you for doing so. They are the reason that your ego has inflated and made you feel like you are an authority. Speaking of Sphincter's, has the doctor looked in yours lately to see that your full of crap!

BETWEEN THIS SIGHT

This response submitted by michael p on 3/31/06 at 8:47 AM. ( michaelschlabach@hotmail.com ) 12.179.226.95

and a good nascar race the action just does'nt get any better!

Bob, Steve, why don't you two stop while you're ahead

This response submitted by George on 4/1/06 at 12:10 AM. ( ) 205.188.117.8

You can't match wits with me. That's not ego, that's factual. You're already stealing my lines. When you have to resort to plagiarism, it's pretty obvious what "mental midget" means. And Bob, as for your poor excuse for a question, I'd assumed it was rhetorical. I don't HAVE any secrets. I give them all away. I don't have a school. I teach people for free. Those that offer seminars do it out of respect and most often in return for some sort of gratuity. It's not my problem to decide if they should or shouldn't. In the last five years, I've garnered over 300 seminars for the NTA and each of them was offered some gratuity or cash in return. Bill Yox offers all of his advice here for free as well. And I could ask you you and Steve what you've offered here, but we already know that answer, don't we?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu