legality question for my own curiosity

Submitted by Joey Arender on 3/31/06 at 1:43 AM. ( j32a@aol.com ) 152.163.101.13

I ran across a post in the archives that says it is illegal in WI to sell or buy wild turkey parts. I assume it is the same in some other states. What I am wondering is, does that pertain to mounted birds as well? If so would a freeze dried head if bought be illegal, unless it came from a game farm bird? maybe it's just to late but that just stuck in my head tonight and really has nothing to do with me. I just want to know what ya'll think. If it was me I would interpret it to be illegal if mounted birds can't be sold or purchased. Then I would say it is legal if mounted birds can be sold. There is your stupid one for the day George, LOL

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

joey

This response submitted by collin rankin on 3/31/06 at 2:32 AM. ( ) 209.115.235.79

if my memory is correct a lot of our laws in WI say raw products from legal wildgame can not be sold, such as meat. one example is it is illegal to sell bear claws but if they are attached to the hide it is legal to sell,as far as turkeys i believe it can be sold as a finished product, now i'm going to have to go look it up!

joey

This response submitted by michaelp on 3/31/06 at 7:32 AM. ( ) 71.113.246.15

that is a very good question & i myself am curious also. makes me wanna check out my own state laws in texas on that. thanks for getting my old noggin going so early.

In NC

This response submitted by Greg Waite on 3/31/06 at 9:42 AM. ( ) 70.60.232.65

I can't buy a freeze dried head, I can send one off and pay to have it freeze dried. But buying and selling turkey parts are illegal. At least that is what the Wildlife commisioner told us at the convention last year.

Check witth the DNR first and the local inspectors

This response submitted by Kim on 3/31/06 at 3:01 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

Joey,

Always, for specific up to date information, check with the people that come around and inspect your business. (and even they are not sure on many things).

I just finished a technical article on wildlife laws. As soon as it was ready, I had to go back and change a few items because the LAWs were subject to the local COs idea of what is ok and what is not ok. Of course, everything was in the grey areas.

If it is not SPELLED out exactly, look out and check first!

Like I said it don't

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 3/31/06 at 4:47 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.12

pertain to me. I was just curious. believe me I know to check and sometimes three or four times. All it takes is a off look or some type of hesitation and I am off to the next guy. I just ran across that post and was thinking thats all. I just wonder, because of all the needs for freeze dried heads. They got to be sold somewhere and I guess some states it would be illegal. Now if you can sell mounted turkeys in your state then I figure a freeze dried head could be considered mounted right. The only thing that I have been told no on here in TN:that I have asked about is bears, dead beat customer or not. No part of to be sold before or after death is the way my CO puts it.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu