I HAVE A QUESTION

Submitted by EARL on 3/31/06 at 10:09 AM. ( ANT/TAX ) 68.82.184.251

I bought a frozen cape from a guy..I was replacing it as a favor for a friend,his neck was all shot up,I'm paying for it..I specifically asked it to be sent "PRIORITY MAIL" because it's two days in transit and it was very cold out..After a couple weeks he sent it,I get it and it's fine..He sent it "NEXT-DAY-AIR" after I specifically asked for "PRIORITY MAIL" shipping..He wants the 100.00 + 67.00 "NEXT-DAY-AIR" shipping, quit a bit more than 15.00 "PRIORITY MAIL" shipping..I asked for "PRIORITY MAIL" not "NEXT-DAY-AIR" Just asking your opinion, what would you do ? Thanks..Earl

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

if you SPECIFICALLY

This response submitted by michael p on 3/31/06 at 10:18 AM. ( michaelschlabach@hotmail.com ) 12.179.226.95

asked for priority then keep your end of the deal. i see your point & if that is the deal you two made then keep the deal up your end, send the guy 115.00 and your conscience should be clear.

I would split the shipping

This response submitted by Mike on 3/31/06 at 10:46 AM. ( ) 64.83.200.10

From time to time communication errors do happen, Split the shipping 50/50

advice

This response submitted by other Mike on 3/31/06 at 2:20 PM. ( ) 208.252.179.22

If you have it in writing then he should pay the difference in the shipping cost. If it is not in writing, then I'd split the difference 50/50. If he refuses to make it right, then post all the details including his name, address and business name on this forum for everyone to see so we can avoid doing business with him.

Earl, you would be the first to criticize a bad cape

This response submitted by PA on 3/31/06 at 2:30 PM. ( ) 147.72.68.109

Two days in transit is certainly enough to ruin a cape - especially when it might spend overnight in a heated room. If the cape came decomposed would you have not paid because it went bad?

WELL MR. PA

This response submitted by EARL on 3/31/06 at 3:42 PM. ( ANT/TAX ) 68.82.184.251

I knew there would be at least ONE NEGATIVE NO-NAME..Your a real brite one if you think two days in transit will spoil a cape,maybe the way you would pack one..If a cape spoils in two days it wasn't worth anything to begin with (Duhh)..Like I said it was cold out,it takes two days to thaw in room temp.to be able to work with..If sent out on a Mon./Tues.(common sence)it would be fine for a few days..If it did DECOMPOSE I would not bitch because it was my decision not his..Thanks for your imput JERK-OFF...Earl

Your true colors always come through!

This response submitted by PA on 3/31/06 at 7:15 PM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

If you didn't want opinions why exactly did you ask? Also I am about as anonomous a EARL is. Who the hell is Earl?

You have very little common decency from you long history on this site. Where exactly did I insult you in the above post? Even here I only stated that your true colors always come through - if you interpret it the way everyone else does, then it is an insult.

Earl We all know what an As.s hole you are

This response submitted by george on 3/31/06 at 7:36 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.11

and I doubt you ever said any thing about USPS vr. UPS. You are just tring to get out of paying your bill once again so go cry to some one else you 450 pound piece of SH ! T!

WOW, GEORGE I SEE YOUR AN EARL FAN

This response submitted by EARL on 3/31/06 at 8:50 PM. ( antlersandwings@comcast.net ) 68.82.184.251

PA it's the way you said it and you know it..George,I guess reading your post say's it all,your all talk..Your mouth is way bigger than your balls,that's obvious..It's just funny how many nameless cowards hide behind the key board when they see "Earl"

I hate to say it !

This response submitted by paul k on 3/31/06 at 9:01 PM. ( smtaxidermy@comcast.net ) 68.57.28.101

The free part of this site, is becoming its demise! There was never a better media outlet for a healthy exchange of ideas related to the taxidermy industry than this site! I once used it for learning (still do ) gave back to others what I have learned through trial and error. Made some good friends. (Very cool to put faces to the names at various conventions etc.) The fact is, with out some sort of registration or fee you will continually see post's like the above that does nothing for the purpose of this site. Its a shame we who appreciate what WASCO and Ken are doing, see how some take for granted what is good for everyone interested in the industry.

But Earl, whoever you are...

This response submitted by PA on 3/31/06 at 9:29 PM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

Hides can go bad in two days if they are not packed right, as you well know it. And you have complained to me personally when I sent you a FREE starter colony of dermestids a couple years back. After two attempts to retrieve my shipping containers, you finally figured out that I wasn't one of the people you regularly referred to as a-holes.

I made no inference in my first post - just stated that you, (and I also if you might not have guessed) would certainly bitch if we paid good money for a hide that went bad. That it cost extra money can certainly be an irritant, but the fact is, IT DID GET THERE PROMPTLY. I sent an articulated penguin skeleton once to New Jersey by PRIORTY MAIL. It took 30 days to get there. Consider the hide a gift horse, and pay the man the money.

And Paul, I am always mindful of the hosts of this site. I simply offered a second opinion. If Aunt Tax didn't want a variety of opinions, then why make the post in the first place. The person shipping the hide spent money shipping it, and may have been burned by the Post Office more than once, and not recieved money for the hide or the priority shipping. Once bitten, twice shy.

PA YOUR RIGHT ABOUT ONE THING AND THAT ONLY

This response submitted by EARL on 3/31/06 at 10:37 PM. ( ANT/TAX ) 68.82.184.251

PA or who ever ,we are not talking about hides we are talking about a freshly skinned frozen deer cape,there is a difference.If I remember correctly,You were thanked for the dermestids and offered to be paid,you said just return the containers,I did..The containers were shipped back to you as soon as I got them back..I also told you they were going to be used at another location,WARE THE BUGS WOULD BE SET UP..It took me that long to get the containers back.The day I got them back I boxed them up and shipped them back that fallowing week,YOU DID GET THEM,I DID NOT STIFF YOU RIGHT ? I could of left them ware they were and said who cares if you get them..
Now as far as (I know,and I do know ) a freshly skinned,well taken care of ,frozen solid cape(witch it was) WILL NOT DECOMPOSE in a couple days ,maybe in 100 degree weather and it still won't DECOMPOSE..NOW please listen closely PA..He was asked to ship "PRIORITY MAIL" on a monday,NOT NEXT DAY AIR plain and simple,very cold out,just fallow the buyers instructions don't do what YOU what ,unless you ask first,DUHH..We had that coversation by phone and by email so the proof is there.I ship about 50 to 100 capes a year all over by "PRIORITY MAIL" it works well for me and at much better price that most customers including myself want..
I shipped 50 bear claws by UPS next day air to Texas,took 25 days round trip,rotten stinking mess,it was shipped back to me by ground UPS wrapped in plastic with a note "UNDELIVABLE" the address was correct..They sat for 15 days on a ups shelf some where (thanks for vaccum packing)..They were cleaned and re-shipped "PRIORITY MAIL" got there in two days..crap happens..JUST DO AS I ASK..I also apoligize to you if that really bothered you that much that you didn't get your tupper ware containers back sooner.By the way the firt three that answered my post answered it well,thanks..Earl

I had that

This response submitted by Alex on 3/31/06 at 10:44 PM. ( ) 66.32.7.82

Happened quite a bit, so I just pay, $67 is not going to make me poor.

MIND MADE UP

This response submitted by EARL on 4/1/06 at 7:11 AM. ( ANT/TAX ) 68.82.184.251

I'll pay the $167.00

Didn't mean to get your dander up

This response submitted by PA on 4/1/06 at 7:31 AM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

Earl, whoever you are. I did receive back the containers. Others had to wait to receive Their bugs because of the month wait in the containers - perhaps they were sent Priority mail. I have since used those same containers to give bugs away to California and Texas.

I would imagine you were plenty steamed about the Bear Claws - out the money and shipping. Unfortunately we are always at the mercy of UPS, Fed Ex, DHL or the US Postal service. I have had at least two packages completely lost in transit in my time at the Museum. One with some uncommon Bothrops from South America sent on Loan the Texas, and another some snakes sent to California. Even World wide express, which is supposed to be prompt, delayed shipping some lizards from Spain a couple weeks ago. Though I may play a mild mannered person on here (until I am insulted) I do get PLENTY STEAMED when the damn mailing systems fail. I'm glad you got your frozen cape and the person didn't get stiffed. If the mailing systems would allow you to insure animal materials properly, then $2.00 in insurance would have solved the whole thing, but it is real difficult to get your money back when an item is damaged.

I offer my apology.

Paul K

This response submitted by Ken Edwards on 4/1/06 at 9:36 AM. ( ken@taxidermy.net ) 4.154.67.77

Just to respond to your statement: "The fact is, with out some sort of registration or fee you will continually see post's like the above that does nothing for the purpose of this site."

Both EARL and PA have been posting here since the 90's with literally thousands of posts between them. Their true identities are widely known, and they would be among the first to register if it was required. Even if we had registration, the exchange above would not have been prevented.

Ken

This response submitted by paul k on 4/1/06 at 10:23 AM. ( smtaxidermy@comcast.net ) 68.57.28.101

I do understand your point. Seems as of late, just a lot of nonsense.
Guess we're just at that point in the cycle again. My comment was directed towards the derogatory comment made towards Earl and not by PA ,Earl happened to slip in a post as I was typing. Anyway just to let you know, I think the majority of us really do appreciate what you do for us by offering this site, free for our use with no strings attached. Thanks

PA...The Taxidermologist

This response submitted by EARL on 4/1/06 at 2:14 PM. ( antlersandwings@comcast.net ) 68.82.184.251

PA email me your shipping address,I have something I need to send you by "PRIORITY MAIL" seriously..Earl

WHY?

This response submitted by Brian Masters on 4/2/06 at 7:38 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.11

when you go to Walmart and a car battery is marked 39.99 then you get to the counter and the cashier rings it up as 59.99 do you accept that? The simple point is you specifically requested priority mail. If the seller decided to send it any other way. it is on them. Go to the car dealer, order a plain Jane, bare bones pick up, when it comes in it is loaded. Would you take it? sure you would. As long as it was at the price quoted you. But I would be damned if I would pay extra for someone else's stupidity. It don't matter if it's $2.00 or $200,000.00 what's right is right. and where do people get off thinking it is Okay to make decisions for others. And they must accept it.

I'll play

This response submitted by PA on 4/2/06 at 12:13 PM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

So you take the 39.99 battery home and it doesn't hold a charge, turns out it was held on a ship in the Pacific on the way back from China where it was manufactured. Of course you return the battery.

The trouble arises here, is that Person A quoted a price of 100 dollars for the hide. He may, (or may not) have understood that he was to ship ONLY by priority mail, only Person B knows that. Person A charged $100 for the item, and did not make a dime on shipping. It should have only been $15 shipping, but either because this person lost previous capes (and lost it all before) or he decided that he would only ship by air, shipping sended up being $67 dollars. The difference is 42.00 and if person A had to pay the difference, he would have only made $58 on his $100.00 deer cape.

I never saw the original correspondence, and simply offered that since the hide arrive safely, I would pay the fee, because Person A should have received the $100.00 he was quoted.

Shipping and handling always is the problem. I have bought items on Ebay without indication of the shipping and handling charge on the item. I have bought items marked $4.99, and ended up paying over $11.00 on a simple paper item. The package has a postmark that says shipping was only $1.50 or so, and the person used old cardboard for an envelope, and insisted on insurance. It irritates me, but in this instance on Ebay, the seller pocketed extra money. With the cape, the agreed upon price was $100.00.

Person B will probably never buy another thing from Person A, and hopefully Person A will see this post and make SURE if he ever sells items again, there is specificity in how to pay for shipping.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu