chest freezers-do you like them

Submitted by Matt on 5/4/06 at 7:18 AM. ( ) 207.89.155.80

I have just purchased a frigidaire 25 cubic foot freezer for taxidermy use and i wanted to know do you guys like residential chest freezers, should i have gone with a commercial chest freezer? Some people have told me that chest freezers dont distribute the coolness good enough and it is colder at the bottom. I am just wondering if this is going to be fine. It it a manual defrost as is almost all chest freezers. Anybody ever have a problem with a chest freezer? Thanks

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Ne ver

This response submitted by George on 5/4/06 at 7:35 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.9

And you're talking to someone who's used them for nearly 40 years (I used my parents' before that). I have two of them in my shop just like the one you bought. Two tips: 1) Build a frame with casters to set them on to facilitate moving them and cleaning them, and most of all 2) Try to keep them empty. Full ones don't make you any money.

also...

This response submitted by Matt on 5/4/06 at 7:48 AM. ( buckeyebullet23@yahoo.com ) 165.252.77.3

i check mine usually once a day just as a precaution to make sure nobody unplugged it or it quit.

I'm with George

This response submitted by HAPP on 5/4/06 at 10:17 AM. ( ) 67.167.106.79

Never had a problem. I have 2 chest freezers and one three door refridgerator I use for thawing or just keeping things cool 9including plenty of beer when the work is done. Mine are not full, as I keep a schedule as to getting things done. I don't spend much time on this keyboard. Good luck and keep them moving

Had 5 chest freezers going ...

This response submitted by John on 5/4/06 at 11:15 AM. ( jake2825@aol.com ) 152.163.100.73

at one time then I put in a walk in and that was the best thing I have ever done. Plenty of room and you can find what you need.Electric bill did not go up at all, that was a concern of mine before I had it put in and it seems to be a wash on the electricity used.If you put one in be prepared to pay for it,I have about 4,000 stuck into mine but I still wouldnt go back to the chests. I do have 2 chest freezers on hand in case the walk in ever goes down on me though. Also feel good to go inside when its 90+ degrees outside and high hummidity.

Read Dave Luke's Story in Breakthrough

This response submitted by J.D. on 5/4/06 at 11:55 AM. ( ) 4.154.128.46

I think it was a couple issues back, but one of the best articles I have ever seen in Breakthrough. Dave weathered Katrina and watched as his freezers thawed one by one. He said the chest freezers held up longer than all of the other freezers (as for thawing times). I run 7 chest freezers myself. The problem with the walk-in freezer is that when it breaks down, you better be on the ball and have a back-up plan or hope the repairs are done quickly. If one of your chest freezers goes down, you can always shift those items to another freezer. Downfall: multiple freezers take up a lot of floor space. Advantage: They make good work benches.

J.D.

This response submitted by Breck on 5/4/06 at 12:01 PM. ( ) 71.137.11.109

My son just helped me unload a new chest freezer into my shop on tuesday, and when we had it in place he said "well Dad, it looks like you got a new work bench" LOL

LMAO Breck

This response submitted by George on 5/4/06 at 12:23 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.68

Sad but true. SO true.

At the California show I learned something Valuable.

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 5/4/06 at 12:24 PM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 68.118.69.164

Dennis King was the judge & as he was giving us tips that he uses in his shop he said he puts his animals in PLASTIC TUBS, before they go in the freezer. You can get them at Walmart for just a couple bucks & reuse them every year.
I started doing this & it works great.
You never have to worry about fitting an odd shaped it back in after removing one thing from the bottom.
The are all uniform with the flat top & bottom.
I wish I would have heard this before.
We have 6 freezers & Never have any problems unless a door doesnt get closed properly.
The new one I just bought even has a temperature alarm built in.

Take care

small freezers

This response submitted by dak on 5/4/06 at 8:51 PM. ( ) 12.220.29.233

I like having several small freezers vs large ones...if it goes out you don't have as much to deal with.I also never take a USED freezer someone wants to give me...One freezer can hold 5 to 10 thousand dollars of work...best to have one that is reliable.

Modifying R.J.'s Tip

This response submitted by George on 5/4/06 at 9:32 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.73

I tried the plastic, but they simply got in my way. I called Chiswick (www.chiswick.com) and ordered their 6x10x22 2mil. bags. I tube my capes and roll them up with the face and ears inside the tube. I slip them cross-ways to fit the bag bottom and I take the shop vacuum cleaner to them. I insert the nozzle in the top of the bag and draw all the air out until it sucks down on the hide. I spin the bag and tie a slip knot in the end. Now I put this plastic bag into heavy duty grocery bags I bought from a janitorial supply. I roll the bag up tight and tape it with 2 inch masking tape. Then with a Marks-A-Lot marker, I print the job number on the package. I have a very neat 12 inch log with a very visible job number. At the end of the season, I take all the hides out as they are in reverse numerical order. I stack them neatly in the freezer with the latest job number at the bottom of a row of capes in the freezer. I can pack 75 capes in one big freezer and still have room. For the life-sizes, birds, and "weird" game, I follow the same procedure, but as their sizes differ, they go in the other freezer in the same order. I'd imagine I can get 200 work orders in those two freezers.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu