First drive-thru taxidermy shop in the world

Submitted by Mickey on 5/8/06 at 9:06 AM. ( artistryinnature@earthlink.net ) 66.32.209.191

Last Wednesday at midnight a guy in a 1500 pickup, drunk, being pursued by the police (though not chasing hm at the time) lost control at over 100 mph, flew about 60 feet through the air and hit my shop. It blew a hole 25 feet wide, floor to ceiling in a block wall shop. Cinder blocks from the side of impact flew across the shop (30 feet) and cracked block on the opposite wall. Glass from his windshield flew over the shop and dented and scratched vehicles 70 to 80 feet away. He was killed. At least my shop can be repaired and everything inside repaired or replaced. Thank God for insurance. Best 470 dollars a year I've ever spent.

Mickey
Artistry In Nature Taxidermy Studio

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

ALWAYS buy insurance!

This response submitted by Kim on 5/8/06 at 10:38 AM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

Thank goodness no other person was killed. We had a similar thing happen to us in one of our shops many years ago. This guy took out a lot of lifessize mounts which were unsalvageable. We lost bear, moose, deer and two caribou. Looks like these lifesize mounts got into a fight with king kong and were really tore up.

Anyway, the insurance covered most but not all of our loss.

what if?

This response submitted by RAS on 5/8/06 at 1:24 PM. ( ) 66.192.117.66

what if you are turned down by your home owners and the insurance company suggested by NTA? neither will even give me a quote. one reason was "due to wind and hail restrictions". I live near coast( about 50 miles inland) but still thought I could get coverage. any and all suggestions appreceiated.

About your location

This response submitted by Kim on 5/8/06 at 3:13 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

MANY insurance companies are shying away from locations such as yours. However, almost anything has a price on it.

Try having a HIGH deductable as the insurance companies might consider it. Also, ASK the insurance companies what they would like to see added to your property so it would be more secure against weather.

I was an underwriter for a few years and you would be amazed what "deals" are or can be cut with insurance companies.

thanks Kim

This response submitted by RAS on 5/8/06 at 3:51 PM. ( ) 66.192.117.66

thanks for the info. Kim. now here on the coast they have the " state wind pool", which I am researching. it seems to create other problems as to who will or will not insure. thanks again, good luck to all

Did

This response submitted by Alex on 5/8/06 at 5:09 PM. ( ) 66.32.122.19

At least embalm the son of a gun ?

No

This response submitted by Mickey on 5/8/06 at 5:57 PM. ( artistryinnature@earthlink.net ) 66.32.209.191

I didn't get to embalm him though I offered to let the coroner throw him in one of my chest freezers. For insurance I have Zurich Direct. Zurich is the second or third largest insurer in the world and Zurich Direct is their small business line. They have been awesome and have already sent a $7500 check to "get me started". They are covering property damage and repair for my stuff and customers, storage POD, moving costs, temporary or permanent. The difference in my rent if where I go temporarily is more than my current rent. Refunds to customers if they don't like the repaired goods. Loss of income, employees salaries, clean up etc etc. I HIGHLY recommend them.

Mickey

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu