NTA Competition Committee

Submitted by Jan Van Hoesen on 5/10/06 at 7:51 PM. ( vanhoese@freeway.net ) 216.93.97.14

I just recieved my Outlook magazine and noticed mention made of a competition committee. I'm asking this on the forums because I thought maybe somebody else might be interested in the answer. Two years ago I asked this question and nobody at the NTA convention could give me a clear answer. I'm sure you have this cleared up and now can tell me just who officially makes up the competition committee. Could you please tell me who is on this year's competition committee? Would you please tell me and anyone else interested what decisions these people (I'm assuming it's made up of more than one person) might be called upon to officially make? Would somebody on the NTA Board please answer this?
Sincerely, Jan

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

An irrelavent committee

This response submitted by Bill @ Hog Heaven on 5/11/06 at 4:21 PM. ( wthoghvn@yahoo ) 24.59.215.89

of an irrelavent organization! This I assume would be the committee that was responsible for the Joe Kish debacle. It turned this member and supporter into a lifetime non member. I doubt there is a board member with the guts to answer your question or defend past actions.

Bill, I WAS one then and any time you have the balls...

This response submitted by George on 5/11/06 at 5:29 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.70

...you can contact me personally and I'll tell you exactly what you don't have the conscience to hear. My email address is listed above. Why is it that I would suspect that this is a rhetorical question anyway?

HOWEVER, the committe is chaired by Tony Finazzo and Tony is currently in Africa enjoying life and hunting a little before he comes back to this cauldron. Under him is Brenda Duvall who is tasked with the cross-check duties (i.e., insure that awards are only given to eligible entrants and that special awards only go to those who meet the awards criteria. That is; like the Matt Thompson award can only go to a warm water fish with an open mouth, and things like that.) Danny Owens may be on that committe as well though I'm not sure. Tony is allowed to appoint anyone he'd like to the committee.

The committee is tasked with accepting pieces, displaying the pieces, insuring that the entry is cataloged by the data entry person, Carol Clemmons, and for the normal operations in the competition area. Tony will capably insure that the competition room is run professionally both from judges who feel themselves above the task and of those entrants whose egos are bound to be bruised.

As Jan is fully aware, ALL committees serve at the leisure of the president and the president is in charge of all committees as well as being a member of them. Regardless of the issue, whenever a critical decision is required that cannot be solved by the committee chairman, the committee can only suggest what actions are to be taken and the president makes the final decision. That's not something the NTA thought up on its own either. That's directly from the format established in Robert's Rules of Order.

Jan, I waited two days for some one of several current board members who'd come on this forum previously touting just how this board was so much more effective than past ones and who would actively pursue any problems from membership. I can't answer as to where they are now, but I would hope they're too involved insuring that the convention in Billings will be a roaring success in spite of people like Bill.

Thank you, George!

This response submitted by Jan Van Hoesen on 5/11/06 at 6:52 PM. ( vanhoese@freeway.net ) 216.93.120.177

Thank you, George, for answering my questions. I'm pleased to hear that a committee is established and it looks like to me it's made up of people very competent to do their job.
I am a supporter of the NTA and I am a member. I do speak out when I think something has been done contrary to how things should be done.
Thanks again, George. Jan

I know you do Jan

This response submitted by George on 5/11/06 at 8:05 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.70

And I respect that in any member. I do the same thing though sometimes I realize I grate on people in my manner of doing it. I'd have rather it not been me having to give the explanation.

It would have been nice...

This response submitted by KBauman on 5/11/06 at 11:23 PM. ( ) 71.146.234.187

if Brenda would have been the cross-checker in Huntsville, AL. Maybe a closed gill trout wouldn't have won the Matt Thompson award. Who was in charge of cross-checking in Huntsville? No offense GB, your trout was spectacular.

George- You Have Mail

This response submitted by Bill @ Hog Heaven on 5/12/06 at 6:01 AM. ( wthoghvn@yahoo.com ) 24.59.215.89

Check your inbox George

Jan

This response submitted by Danny Owens on 5/12/06 at 9:44 AM. ( ) 68.110.134.242

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but have not been on the forum in a day or two. Im not sure what time zone George is in but according to your original post, it was only about 22 hours before George posted his, not the '2 days' he mentioned. George is right about Tony and Brenda but I am sorry to say that I have nothing to do with checks and balances as far as the competition goes this year. If Tony requests my help in Billings, I will be more than happy to help out. Because I am judging upland birds this year (free of charge, by the way) I will already be available in the competition room. And yes, George, I believe all board members are working hard to fulfil their duties so the convention in Billings is a huge success.

Damn, how silly of me

This response submitted by George on 5/12/06 at 3:10 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.70

Twenty two hours. I just assumed that the day it was posted and the day it was answered made two days. Since it was posted on one day and I answered it on the second day, I foolishly considered it two days. I still wouldn't have touched this had not Bill gotten ignorant with his slanderous remarks. (I notice you didn't defend the NTA's honor on that slight.) With 13 "current board" members, I was unaware that we had to wait on ONE person to reply since this is such an aggressive board.

BTW Danny, I would HOPE that any current board member would serve the organization "free of charge".

LOL

This response submitted by Dave on 5/12/06 at 9:30 PM. ( ) 68.216.187.22

Thanks Danny,

Not all of us are sitting on each posting trying to hatch an egg like some people... Did we just hear an apology of some kind? 22 hrs confused with 2, days hmmmmm.

George

This response submitted by Kim Owens on 5/13/06 at 3:26 PM. ( ) 68.105.229.244

Danny won't respond to you but I will. You have no idea what is involved with judging a show. I will give you credit for the time you put into the seminars but it still does not compare to what a judge goes through both physically and mentally when judging ones competition work. The time and energy that the competitor has put into their piece deserves the best consideration from the judge and should never be taken lightly. I know of no other board member who ever agreed to judge a show the size of the NTA free of charge. He agreed to do this because he knows of the financial woes of the NTA. YOu have no idea the conversation he and I had after he agreed to judge for free but believe me, I told him he had lost his mind. He has been harassed, called a malcontent and has been badmouthed by a small group of the executive committee and board only because he wants what is best for the NTA's future- which is nothing more than what it should have been from the beginning- which is simple accountablility. And yet he continues to give to this organization. Ballots will be out soon and I hope all members take the time to vote. He also has donated back the shotgun he won last year because he doesn't believe board members should be allowed to win anything at the NTA shows- those prizes, raffles or not, should be reserved for the membership. He also donated $300 so the chair of the NTA financial commitee could go to Louisanna to set up a proper set of books for the NTA- and this was also because the NTA did not have the funds to send him. Brenda Duvall also donated $300 to make this trip possible. I don't recall hearing anything about your stepping up to help in this manner. Get off his back George.

Get back on the wagon Kim

This response submitted by George on 5/13/06 at 5:44 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.195

I've heard all this bovine feces before and the tale has worn thin. You have no idea what a lot of other jobs within the NTA carries with it either, so don't try that crap of "my horse is bigger than yours". Why would I care that two paranoids were so intent on finding boogers in a closet that they would spend $300 apiece to send another board member all the way across the country to do what could have been done by a local CPA for about $120 max? And since nothing was found to substantiate the paranoia, I can only imagine where the next boogers will be found. I wasn't told of any monumental "changes" that Wesley had to make to his current system of bookkeeping. From what I heard from the source, it would seem that most of that could have been done in Billings at the convention anyway. I'm glad you're proud of your husband. My wife's proud of me. But I damned sure don't use her for MY mouthpiece continually. I didn't donate a shotgun BACK at last years awards ceremony, but if you and Danny had actually been at that event, you'd have dropped that subject real fast. I happened to have BOUGHT AN EXTRA SHOTGUN to donate to that same raffle. There were TWO GUNS raffled off that night. I don't recall a year in the last 5 or 6 when I haven't spent $200 to $500 of my on to insure things went well. Big deal. The NTA could've survived without it, it just happened to be something I wanted to see done.

Ballots certainly are due out soon and I, too, hope members will vote. I just hope they vote on good hard data or individuals who've done work quietly and freely for the NTA rather than those who keep telling us how much they've paid. We've had more than enough "icons" who've been elected to sit on their collective asses while a minority few have had to do all the work.

Danny Owens has worked very hard at doing what's been asked of him and more. I'm not taking a thing away from him or anyone else who's broken a sweat for the organization. But when any of us run for an office, isn't that what the membership EXPECTS of us?

FYI- George

This response submitted by Kim Owens on 5/14/06 at 9:00 AM. ( ) 68.105.229.244

The boogers were never going to be found in Wesley's closet. I can't tell you how excited I am that next year you will be on the board and as a board member you will be asked to stay off this taxidermy net with the filth that flows so easily off your fingers.

Who gave you that stupid idea, Kim?

This response submitted by George on 5/14/06 at 12:12 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.200

You'd better stay off the baby aspirin and Diet Coke.

Vote

This response submitted by TJ on 5/14/06 at 11:45 PM. ( tjfishtaxi@yahoo.com ) 63.230.199.207

George,

With this type of attitude, you have lost my vote(s). I noticed you have been nominated for just about every position available. I don't think that your attitude is what the NTA needs right now.

If everyone that ever doanted a penny or one minute of time felt it necessary to blow their own horn like you have in this thread, nothing would ever get done.

TJ

TJ, I guess you're a one eyed taxidermist

This response submitted by George on 5/15/06 at 4:55 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.70

You didn't notice that I didn't start this "who donated what" story. I'm always truly impressed at guys like you who've never been here before telling me how I should or shouldn't act to make life better for you. With almost less than 10% of our electorate actually voting each year, it's almost a miracle anyone gets elected. Half of our members can't stand me whether I sit on that board or not, but guess where that leaves you? The other 50% know that I only deal in truths and facts and because I don't hide them underneath bouquets of roses, they're able to understand what I'm saying. What the NTA truly needs at this point in time is a functional board that keeps their eyes on the objectives necessary to keep us solvent and viable as the only PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION for taxidermists in America. I can see you telling Democrats they should get rid of Howard Dean or the Republicans get rid of Karl Rove and see just how intelligent that remark would be handled.

Furthermore, the insinuation that ANY board member should be muzzled is a stench that is assinine in this country. Can you imagine censuring people who represent a group of people simply because maybe half of them would be offended. I want you to name one single person who's ever set on that board whose kept the rank and file members as well as the industry with non-members any more informed than I have. Would you rather NOT know about elected members who've embarrassed themselves and the organization? Who've done nothing but talk with little results? How a select group tried to influence issues? How certain competition judges sought to influence the outcomes? How some awards had been inappropriately given out?

I'm sure you'd like most of that to stay in a dark closet along with your identity, but I figure that for $50, the members should expect some modicum of truth that won't be influenced by threat of censure or in spreading prevarications.

Coward

This response submitted by TJ on 5/16/06 at 12:59 AM. ( tjfishtaxi@yahoo.com ) 71.35.2.182

One eyed? You now resort to name-calling? I had so much respect for you until this point in time. You really have yourself on a pedestal.

First time on this forum? Hardly. And I do have 'them' to stand up to you anytime, anyplace as you had propositioned someone else earlier.

It is great that there are those like yourself that donate all of the time, personal funds and effort like you do. However it is not great that you feel the need to bash a guy who just wants it known that he is judging for no cost to the NTA. I do not compete with birds, by the way. Instead of saying thanks, you feel the need to go off on him implying that ALL of the judges should work for free just to support the organization.

Do you make sense to you?

You didn't notice that I didn't start this "who donated what" story. I'm always truly impressed at guys like you who've never been here before telling me how I should or shouldn't act to make life better for you. With almost less than 10% of our electorate actually voting each year, it's almost a miracle anyone gets elected. Half of our members can't stand me whether I sit on that board or not, but guess where that leaves you? The other 50% know that I only deal in truths and facts and because I don't hide them underneath bouquets of roses, they're able to understand what I'm saying. What the NTA truly needs at this point in time is a functional board that keeps their eyes on the objectives necessary to keep us solvent and viable as the only PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION for taxidermists in America. I can see you telling Democrats they should get rid of Howard Dean or the Republicans get rid of Karl Rove and see just how intelligent that remark would be handled.

Furthermore, the insinuation that ANY board member should be muzzled is a stench that is assinine in this country. Can you imagine censuring people who represent a group of people simply because maybe half of them would be offended. I want you to name one single person who's ever set on that board whose kept the rank and file members as well as the industry with non-members any more informed than I have. Would you rather NOT know about elected members who've embarrassed themselves and the organization? Who've done nothing but talk with little results? How a select group tried to influence issues? How certain competition judges sought to influence the outcomes? How some awards had been inappropriately given out?

I'm sure you'd like most of that to stay in a dark closet along with your identity, but I figure that for $50, the members should expect some modicum of truth that won't be influenced by threat of censure or in spreading prevarications.

I guess I was right TJ

This response submitted by George on 5/16/06 at 7:22 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.195

I wasn't calling you "names", just making an analogy that you seemed incapable of seeing out of BOTH eyes. What Kim said was fine with you, but when I said it about myself, you got your jock up your crotch. Not my fault.

And you really DIDN'T need to copy and paste my whole posting. All you needed to do was refer to it. Those who read it the second time understood what I was saying the FIRST time.

You are correct in that you've been here before and I apologize for that. YOu've been here 184 other times according to the SEARCH, but when I ran your TCP/IP number, it showed no other matches. But unless you know something I don't, I never said you didn't have any balls to "stand up to me". So what? If that's your biggest claim to fame you lead a very sheltered life.

My error

This response submitted by TJ on 5/17/06 at 12:53 AM. ( ) 63.230.239.219

I copied your drivel so while I typed my response, I could easily read it. I htought in earlier post, my error, that you challenged somebody as to their intestinal fortitude.

184 posts is all. How many should I have? Should I weigh in to the crap about Republicans vs. Democrats 17 a day? How bad/good George W. is doing in office? What percentage of your posts go to categories as trivial as those?

As far as what you said that 'got my jock..." and two eyes is frivolous. "Baby aspirin and Diet Coke" is what fired me up, but I am sure with both of your eyes, you deem that an appropriate comment to be placed in a forum, especially in reference to another former/future board member.

My main point is this. If you need to blow your horn for all that you do for the NTA, perhaps we all should. I think next year, when I pay my membership, should I choose to, I will post and everybody will know what I did for the NTA.

Don't get me wrong, I think it has potential to be a strong organization again, and support it all the way. I am just curious as to some of what goes on with it. I don't think, however, there is any room for soap box barkers plugging themselves.

The silent help is normally the best.

TJ, I couldn't agree more

This response submitted by George on 5/17/06 at 6:39 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.200

But if there's one scintilla of truth in your remarks, then send me an email and I'll be GLAD to enlighten you with the truth if you're able to handle it.

Many don't want the NTA or the people !

This response submitted by Not Interested! on 5/26/06 at 3:53 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

Seriously Folks, who in the hell wants to join the NTA when we see how the organization and many of the officers have ***PROBLEMS***

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu