Iowa DNR

Submitted by Jason Hatz on 5/30/06 at 12:32 PM. ( Bucksnort25@msn.com ) 129.176.151.6

So I went to apply for my Iowa deer tag today. Is anyone else upset by the "mandatory $100 antlerless tag" that must be purchased on top of the $320 any-deer tag! I called the Iowa DNR and got this response. "An Iowa biologist recommended the tag so that the non-resident sale and lease rate of land will slow down". I have never heard a more ridiculous reason in my life. If someone can afford to lease land, they can afford $100 extra dollars. The only people this is going to hurt is the average Joe hunter. Iowa is effectively pricing out most hunters. If this was an over population issue, I coudl see paying a little extra to help control the population, but $100 dollars? It now costs more to hunt deer in Iowa than it does out West, where access is easier in some places and you can get a mue deer or whitetail. The Iowa DNR should be ashamed.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I think they have...

This response submitted by marty on 5/30/06 at 1:36 PM. ( ) 24.15.109.214

...a legal obligation to make tags available to non-residents. But, this is there little way of saying "we really don't want non-residents hunting our deer".

Another thing that ticks me off about Iowa is they only offer annual non-resident small-game hunting licenses. To the tune of about $80 bucks (which I believe is part of that $300 you speak of?). I only get one or two opportunities to get out there anymore and I simply don't hunt pheasant in Iowa anymore because of the high cost...

you are correct

This response submitted by Jason Hatz on 5/30/06 at 1:41 PM. ( ) 129.176.151.6

That $80 is part of the license that you buy. But think of this, In Montana a non-resident can buy an elk/deer combo tag for $700. That also includes a upland game bird license and your fishing license. Iowa is wrong on this, just plane wrong.

Iowa

This response submitted by * on 5/30/06 at 2:00 PM. ( ) 207.118.250.221

Be thankful they sell non res tags I remember they day when they did not.
They should have just raised the buck tag price and that would be that
Don't forget "MANDATORY CHECK STATIONS THIS YEAR ALSO."

High prices!

This response submitted by Kim on 5/30/06 at 2:24 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

We had an increase in prices for Colorado. I really believe that too many DNRs, DOWs, etc. have far to much flexiability to be able to raise price as if to "force" people to do things their way or have nothing and do nothing for wildlife.

This response submitted by Jason Hatz on 5/30/06 at 3:31 PM. ( ) 129.176.151.6

I am thankful that I can buy a non-resident license, but why $100 dollars. Wisconsin has a deer problem. They allow hunters to buy a antlerless tag for $20 for a non-resident plus their license is only $160 and you don't have to buy the small game license. If it had to be a mandatory license, why not charge a reasonable fee?
I also think mandatory check stations are a good thing. It is the best way to get a harvest count.

go out west and hunt...

This response submitted by Iowa resident on 5/30/06 at 3:50 PM. ( ) 69.66.146.243

Don't come to Iowa, go out west and hunt if it's cheaper. Go to montana. They're known for their monster whitetails and pheasants, it should be worth it. I hope they raise pheasant licenses through the roof to get rid of the *&%$# hunters from out of state that have no respect for private land. Get rid of the people that think we OWE THEM something.

Too high? Ha!

This response submitted by Shannon on 5/30/06 at 4:26 PM. ( ) 12.214.12.67

As an Iowa resident, I feel the non resident prices are too cheap. Let's all be honest here, no matter what state you are from, can you really say you like non residents coming to your state to hunt? I don't. Land gets bought up by high income non residents, shutting out the "average Joe" RESIDENT hunter. Most non residents come here for the chance to harvest a monster. With our short gun seasons, most will not shoot a doe for fear of messing up a chance at that giant buck that t.v. has made many of you think is hiding behind every tree here. As a long time outdoorsman, whitetail nut, and taxidermist, I assure you that is not the case. I reside in the #1 county for trophy animals and legitamate "booners" make up a very small portion of my business each year. Non resident clients make up an even smaller portion of my business. The last few years the Iowa DNR has made very liberal policies on the harvesting of antlerless deer because of high populations, car/deer accidents, crop damage etc. In the last season or two, these policies have started to work in lowering the population in MOST counties. The counties that seem to have problems getting their populations in check, also are the counties with the most leased acres and ownership by non residents. Local Iowa residents from these counties tell me that these farms that non residents own/lease become sanctuaries for the deer when the guns start booming. Locals hunting the surrounding farms have a difficult time trying to trim the populations, when the does hop the fence, and are on "Joe non residents" ground. Most of these non residents are not doing their part by harvesting enough does and don't grant access to locals who want to doe, or "meat hunt". Also many of these farms that are now under non resident ownership, were once the prime hunting areas of many "average Joe" Iowa residents. The loss of hunting areas affect all, because these displaced hunters must find new areas to hunt, thus creating competition to gain access in prime areas. I say stick it to the non residents as they have created this problem that we Iowan outdoorsman have to deal with today. Their contibution to my business is minimal, so if high prices drive some away, so be it! I know I will be bashed here for stating my and many Iowans feelings towards non residents hunting here but oh well. Iowan hunters and the Iowa DNR have created this deer "mecca" that so many of you want through our strict policies and management ideas. Why not manage your own herd like Iowa has and create quality deer closer to home? I have done some hunting and fishing out of state, Wisconsin, Michigan, Texas, and Colorado, and while it was O.K. I have always enjoyed hunting and fishing in my own state in areas I've enjoyed since I was a kid. Part of the reason out of state recreation was not as enjoyable for me was because I felt as if I was stepping on some locals toes. Too bad more people did not feel this way. If I ever hunt again out of state, I'm all for paying reciprocal hunting fees. The only difference is that I won't bitch about the high prices. If I can't afford it, I won't go. It does suck that everything is about money these days, but that's the world we live in today.

just be glad you do not hunt in Alabama

This response submitted by Ken on 5/30/06 at 4:49 PM. ( ) 12.37.199.22

Out of state hunters have taken over, leasing all land, and causing the cost per acre to skyrocket. (some charging $15-25 per acre) One out of state license is $250, and covers deer and turkey. (2 deer per day all season, one of which can be a buck) this past season was Nov 19th through Jan 31st. Not including bow season, which came in one month earlier. That is 73 days of hunting season, and 146 LEGALLY harvested deer. 1/2 of which can be a buck.
It does not seem like it will be getting any better any time soon.

Easier access for IA for those that CAN afford it.

This response submitted by Chris on 5/30/06 at 5:02 PM. ( ) 129.176.151.7

I'm sorry, but some seem to be missing the point. There will ALWAYS be non-resident hunters coming to IA (6000 of them). They are going to be there no matter what the cost. I believe the original post is in regards to the rationale behind making the antlerless tag mandatory and then charging $100 for it. If the DNR truly feels the population is to the point that everyone that hunts there "should" shoot a doe, they should be handing them out. The DNR could have simply raised the non-resident license and thrown in a doe tag to ease the pain of writing the check. But whatever, they can do what they want. Now, before we all go blaming non-resident hunters for everything that is wrong with hunting today, let's take a look at how much of that land is actually being bought up by in-state city residents and outfitters. I see tons more land going there than I do being sold to non-residents. The original point this post made is a good one; by keeping the "average joe) out of IA the have made it easier for the non-residents that can afford land, afford leases, and afford the license to get drawn every year. Basically, the guys that make Shannon so mad will now be able to come back and hunt more often.

Thank You

This response submitted by Jason Hatz on 5/30/06 at 7:29 PM. ( ) 216.161.101.15

That is exactly the point I was making. I understand what Shannon is talking about. While I do agree that most hunters head to Iowa to get the "big one", I do not agree with sticking it to the non-residents. As Chris stated every year 6000 non-residents will come to Iowa. That is the quota that the DNR has set. Unfortunately by raising the price most guys that just want to hunt deer somewhere else can't go to one of the best places I have ever hunted deer. I agree with sound deer management but $100 is crazy. My question is this? Do residents have to buy a mandatory antlerless tag? I can tell you this, where I hunt in southeastern Iowa, I know of at least two groups of 20 hunters that shoot nothing but bucks. It doean't matter the size but does are off limits. WHere is the sound management in that? in order for this sport of ours to survive, we need to quit fighting amongst ourselves. We are all Americans, quit treating non-residents like aliens!

iowa dnr

This response submitted by dan on 5/30/06 at 8:54 PM. ( ) 207.177.16.31

Residents do not have to buy a doe tag but they can. Your any-sex license costs around $25 and then your first anterless tag costs $25 then it drops to $11 thereafter. They should make it earn-a-buck by giving away a doe tag if they really want the population down and for these trophy hunters (I won't shoot a doe), have mandatory registration and if they don't help with the problem by shooting a doe they cannot apply for 4 years.

W0W

This response submitted by Jeff @ Jeff's Taxidermy on 5/30/06 at 10:58 PM. ( ) 209.152.72.12

This is a hot topic!
I agree with Shannon and a few of the others.
I myself have had bad experiences with a few out of state hunters.
A few yrs ago Myself and a few friends and cousins were pheasant hunting MY property when we were all of a sudden being peppered with shot.
We came up over the hill to find 3 guys (out of staters) all in an uproar at us for hunting "their" property. They said we had scared their birds and they were mad as hell. They informed us that they had leased this ground and were calling the DNR and sheriff's office to have us arrested for trespassing.
We all laughed at them and told them to go right ahead.I didnt bother to inform them that it was my property they were trespassing on.
When the sheriff and the DNR arrived the hunters were asked for their licenses and all was ok til a bird check was made.
Each of them were in possession of 5 birds(3 per day limit) on opening day (big boo boo) I then informed them that it was indeed my property they were hunting on.
Funny thing was 2 were lawyers and 1 was a Dr all from Michigan.
I dont think I will or anyone else will have any problems with those 3 idiots hunting in Iowa again.
And just last fall when I was bow hunting I heard a vehicle in the field that spooked my deer before I could get a shot in and it was 2 OUT OF STATE hunters again trespassing and pond hopping for geese.
They got away because they had the right names of property owners and I couldnt get ahold of the owners to conferm.Needless to say I will get license plate # if it happens again.
I wouldnt mind out of state hunters if they were decent enough to ask for permission instead of just going out on private land and hunting like it was their own.
I also know that not all of them are like that but all it takes is a few bad apples to sour the whole pie for me.
Jeff

Would'nt it be nice

This response submitted by Shannon on 5/31/06 at 12:18 AM. ( ) 12.214.12.67

To just manage your own states deer herd? If you have to invest your hard earned cash on expensive license fees, lease fees , outfitter's services etc. why not get your own state to change it's current deer management plan, and invest in your own state? Or is it just easier to come hunt Iowa where the work has already been done for you? Put the rifles away, shorten your gun season, no guns during the rut, let the dinks go, and just see what happens. You will have nice deer. They all won't be monsters, and they all aren't in Iowa. As you stated we have resident hunter's here that non selectively shoot bucks and harvest few if any does. You will never get everyone on board, but the quality will go up. I know way more resident hunter's that willingly bought multiple doe tags, sure to enjoy hunting more seasons, but more importantly to help keep numbers in check. I also agree on the earn a buck program, for residents included. But, it will never happen. I am very passionate about this topic, these animals are very important to me. Yeah, we are all Americans, but act like a true American and show alittle backbone and change things in YOUR state! Come on, it's not brain surgury. Create a little haven in your own state, buy some land with friends or family if you can't afford ground by yourself. Create solid relationships with landowners, help them out around the farm/property. Make a place where you can take your kids many times, instead of just once a year on a out of state hunt.You don't need 100 acres. Many Iowans hunt on 10 or twenty! I could type until my fingers bleed, but what good would it do. I still have fond memories of how things were before non residents were allowed in. I am bummed that my children will never experience hunting Iowa the way I did in my childhood. There are more deer and turkeys now, but things don't feel the same here anymore . T.V. shows have distorted how things really are and fueled all this madness. I quess I'm just getting old.

So, I'll probably be drawn for my choice of zones.

This response submitted by Looking forward to Iowa Whitetail hunting. on 5/31/06 at 12:21 AM. ( ) 4.246.139.219

Last year, I did not get drawn, but did get a preference point. (Same with Colorado) No tag and no points for Wyoming. California, another point. (now 5)
Anyway, that means that I can shoot a doe, for groceries and keep hunting for that 10 point buck. Don't have to settle for a 6 or 8, because I'll have the "groceries" "in the bag" Not a bad plan.
So, it costs $100. That's change for us and a help to you guys.
Plus I'll: Rent a motel, buy stuff, groceries, slugs, etc, rent a car, gas, Fly there, etc. (overall cost $1500 to 2K so glad to get 2 deer. Two years ago, I couldn't get a doe tag and wouldn't "burn" my any sex tag on a doe. This works for me. Ya, it's more that the $11. my cousin pays or the $1. he pays for his land owner tag, but still, I'll take it. And, yes, I'll apply for the 4 of us tomorrow. However, I do apreciate the update.! Bob.

The Big Picture...

This response submitted by marty on 5/31/06 at 9:49 AM. ( ) 24.15.109.214

Don't you folks realize that when the DNR raises prices to the point that opportunities are no longer there (for the working stiffs) that THEY are contributing to ALL of these problems! It's not just non-residents folks, it's the suits. The big businesses buying up the land and (basically) eliminating opportunities for the folks that can't afford it.

It's one thing with big-game, but NOT having a one-day or 5-day small game license available tells me it's ALL about the money. And I'll tell you what, w/o non-residents hunting YOUR Iowa pheasants (and pumping massive amounts of money into Iowa's economy) you folks would be in a heap of trouble w/o non-residents' cash-flow. Basic economics.

Iowa went up on their deer tags CONSIDERABLY a year or two ago. This recent price increase was just too soon and too much. And as stated above, there's better ways the DNR could have set things up if they TRULY wished to have non-residents shoot does. (But then again, I don't always agree with the way the DNR does things. What do I know eh?)

This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the harvesting of does. As I said above, this is ALL about NOT wanting non-residents hunting those deer. And you know what, I don't care because I'm fortunate to live in a state with equally good quality deer hunting - so screw 'em! But, I DO feel badly for the folks in other states with not-so-good deer hunting as their opportunities have just become even more limited. It's not the non-residents that are the problem. It's the rich folks that have no problem paying these fees. As I said before, pretty soon only the rich will be able to hunt and here's further proof in the pudding...

Marty

This response submitted by Jeff @ Jeff's Taxidermy on 5/31/06 at 10:36 AM. ( ) 209.152.72.45

Like I said in my earlier post Marty ,I wouldnt mind out of state hunters if they were decent enough to ask for permission instead of just going out on private land and hunting like it was their own.
I dont appriciate someone from out of state tellin me I'M trespassing on my own damn land.
That is my point.
I know they are good for our economy here in Iowa.
But when they think that we owe them and they can hunt wherever they want, thats where I draw the line.
Jeff

Marty

This response submitted by Shannon on 5/31/06 at 11:28 AM. ( ) 12.214.12.67

So Marty, you live in a state where you have quality deer hunting, good for you. If you like non residents so much, than you won't mind letting the masses come to your own little honey hole would you? If your not a windbag, why don't you post directions here on this site so non residents can enjoy hunting your personal hunting area? Hell, you hate the high Iowa prices, so I'm sure you will let outsiders rape your area free of charge, correct? Somehow I don't see that happening. I agree that money has changed hunting, that was stated in my first post. Money is the reason why things have changed here. We can't stop the 6000 outsider's, so we might as well charge them. Top states with the best hunting have charged high prices for years. As a non resident you can't go hunt elk in New Mexico for $50 can you? I just really get pissed when non residents whine about high prices? It is 2006, not 1878. Things have changed in the hunting world, it's all about money and what can you or I do about it? Should we lower our prices, undo the non resident quotas, and just let Iowa become a free for all? Hell, bring your rifles in november! There are no easy answers here, and the only thing I can come up with is change the way you do things in your state. I am through argueing about this. I feel the way I do about non residents, and that is not about to change. In some ways things haven't changed all that much. Different indian tribes fought over hunting lands for thousands of years.

All good points

This response submitted by Jason Hatz on 5/31/06 at 11:33 AM. ( ) 216.161.101.15

Everyone has good points. Marty I agree with, all it takes is one bad apple to ruin the bunch. Shannon, You said to get to go get land in my own staet and manage that. Guess what, I have. in fact I shot a 17 point non-typical last year with my bow. In a 2 mile radius we had 13 bucks taken that were 3 years or older. That comes form two things: passing up little bucks and shooting does. I am from Wisconsin. The DNR had am earn-a-buck program 2 years ago. I complained like you wouldn't believe, but in the end they were right. As Jeff stated this isn't about reducing the population, because if it was afforable I would be more than willing to do my share. The dnr In Iowa has done a fantastic job of managing their herd, but that does not mean I owe them anything. my problem is with the "mandatory" tag. Wisconsin for the last 9 years has made antlerless tags avaialable to teh public for $12(residents) and $20(non-residents). As I said i am form Wisconsin but now live on Minnesota, I but 2 doe tags every year as do all my hunting buddies. If Iowa made it an affordable option I think you would surprised how many tags get bought. But really in the end does it matter? if Iowa wants the non-residents out just say it.

Jeff...

This response submitted by marty on 5/31/06 at 2:24 PM. ( ) 24.15.109.214

Trespassers/Poachers don't know or care about state boundaries. I've had just as many experiences with low-lifes doing the above that were RESIDENTS vs. the ones coming from out of state. The only reason they come to your state is probably two-fold. One, they don't have anyplace to hunt. And/or two, the hunting SUCKS where they're at!

I had the EXACT same excuse thrown at me on a couple of occasions where I ran into people that I KNEW didn't belong ont he property I was hunting. And you're right, it does make you angry. BUT, I'll bet they get away with 90% of their trespassing because of this excuse. A buddy of mine I hunt(ed) with in Iowa repeatedly had these folks trouncing on his property hunting pheasants w/o permission. And my buddy simply booted them off (while they were cussing at US!). I thought he was a fool. He should've busted them. That is the ONLY way these people will stop.

Shannon - I know things aren't simply black and white. But you know what? I DON'T have a problem with non-residents hunting in my state as long as I had the first opportunity at the tags. It's as simple as that. If they're legal and they have a place to hunt (or if you want a place to hunt I WILL give you out the public land locations that I have harvested some near B&C bucks from. No suit here, only public land opps for this po-boy in Illinois). BUT, believe it or not I ALSO have a problem with the HIGH rates Illinois charges out of state hunters for deer tags. Outfitters have popped up everywhere now. And guess who are the only (non-residents) that can now afford to hunt in Illinois? Yep, the suits. I don't like it.

I've been around long enough and I'm close enough to a metropolitan area to have witnessed the loss of habitat through the years (NOT truly the "loss of habitat" by the definition you're used to, but "loss of habitat" due to all the corporate big-wigs buying up or leasing lands, forming hunting clubs and outfitters now popping up for the "buy a buck" program.) It's started in the rural aeas but not to the extent it has here.

And "yes" it is a complicated issue. I KNOW farmers have to make a living. I know potential outfitters see opportunities and they have every right to make a buck. I simply don't like it, that's all...

Iowas DNR

This response submitted by confused on 6/1/06 at 8:50 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.138

You shoot a deer in Iowa without the tag you get fined a minimum of 10,000.00 for up to 150 class and 20,000.00 and up for anything over. Get behind the wheel of your car after having too many beers and crash into someone or something causing personal injury you may get fined 250.00. Better yet, abuse your childern and get a 500.00 fine and destroy a child for life. I know poaching deer is wrong and you should be punished but when an 4 legged animal has more value than a human or your property does, it is just confusing.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu