Basic fleshing and skin prep for $10. per hour...Ok?

Submitted by Kim on 5/30/06 at 2:42 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

What are your thoughts on this?

We have tried to find people that want to work in the fleshing and skin prep area of taxidermy. And we can't seem to find anyone that is willing to put in a days worth of work for $10.00 per hour. Or even be willing to work on a piece by piece basis.

We offer to train people for free. The ones that "claim" to have experience lack the basic skill to do any sort of an acceptable job without producing many holes or they themselves, have too many personal problems and are unreliable workers.

Hell, we are seriously thinking about hiring and training "you know who" just to have dependable, quality people.

My question is, if people REALLY want to work in this field, why can't they be responsible, decent people and learn the basics first and then move on to mounting animals AFTER a certain skill level has been achieved?

$10.00 per hour is good enough pay for the simple requirements and work involved. Do you think so?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

My Take

This response submitted by James Parrish on 5/30/06 at 3:31 PM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

I send my hide prep and tanning out. It cuts out the headache of trying to keep an employee. I just found a tannery that will take a frozen deer cape and send it back wet tanned for $45...and they're less than 20 miles away from me.

If you really want an employee in your shop, I'd look at hiring someone who has experience. They should be able to produce a portfolio of their work and, if necessary, demonstrate their abilities in person. Training someone takes alot of time and effort and there is no guarantee that they won't leave and start their own business, even with a "no competition" contract.

$10 per hour is pretty good for someone to do semi-skilled labor like fleshing, etc. Again, the trouble is once you get them trained, they find another job making more money doing something else and they are out the door and you're back at zero. I really don't know what the solution is.

I Just Pay

This response submitted by paul k on 5/30/06 at 5:06 PM. ( ) 68.57.28.101

I send all my capes to a local taxidermist, who does a terrific job
turning splitting salting, and tagging to my specifics for 25 dollars a cape. He claims to spend about 45 mins on average per cape. He does an excellent job and is reliable, so I don't care if he spends 10 mins per cape and makes 150 dollars per hr. What I care about is where my money is best spent in my little world. I combine his skills with an excellent tannery and get capes and skins back with very little prep work to be done before mounting. To be honest its a job I find tedious and unfulfilling. I certainly like to make money in my taxidermy business, and my time is better spent doing the other chores involved in my business. Surely I would like to find a person to do that same work for ten dollars an hr. who could do say 10 capes a day, buts that's highly unlikely. The solution is this. If you have a good dependable person who's putting money in your pocket, treat them well. If their coming to work in a 73 pinto and breaking their back, and your leaving for lunch in your new Cadillac there's bound to be controversy. That's human nature.

Like James

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 5/30/06 at 5:15 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

I found someone close to me to do the things I hate. I cape and freeze he turns, splits, salts and tans for 45.00. Heck he even skins and flesh ducks for 25.

Another job for MEXICANS

This response submitted by The Undertaker on 5/30/06 at 6:47 PM. ( ) 12.199.45.82

I have used some Mexicans from another town several times.

Hey Whites, blacks dont want to work so why not hire Mexicans and yes they have green cards.

$

This response submitted by dak on 5/30/06 at 7:02 PM. ( ) 74.130.227.143

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

True, that's good for low skill labor but...

This response submitted by Realist on 5/30/06 at 7:54 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.24

But the problem is you can't make a living in the USA in 2006 on $10.00 per hour. How about health insurance too?

OK

This response submitted by Andrew on 5/30/06 at 10:57 PM. ( andyswildlifecreations@yahoo.com ) 207.89.210.222

Kim, how many capes in a day do you think someone should flesh, split and turn for you in a day at $10 per hour? I have offered to do this type of work b4 for taxidermists but none took me up on it LOL. I mean really the way I look at it is this is one of the most if not most important job in the taxidermy process because if its done wrong? Well yer looking for a new cape but yet nobody wants to pay much for it. At this time I would say I would take the job but I am guessin the gas driving from Michigan to you would kill me LOL.

I hear you Andrew and agree.

This response submitted by Kim on 5/30/06 at 11:30 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

...But how many jobs starting out at just about any company pays you a starting wage of $10/hr ? Sure, you can work at wally world and walk around in nice clothes and pick up your pay check making much less than ten dollars per hour.

I guess EVERYONE has high expectations on what something SHOULD pay, but how many people are really qualified AND DEPENDABLE enough just to show up for work? Lets face it. Most people want a J.R. Ewing job and pay but can't earn it!

the only person you will find

This response submitted by Mr.T on 5/31/06 at 2:50 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.107

Is a collage age kid that lives with mom and dad. I could not run my house and bills on ten bucks an hour, let alone sock some away in my 401K.
And as long as you hire kids, you are going to have to put up with important things like a rock concert the night before, or leaving work early to get to one. And a kid running a fleshing machine, what are the risk and consequences? I hope you got insurance.

From my perspective

This response submitted by Glen on 5/31/06 at 10:11 AM. ( ) 216.129.188.142

I am Married with 2 boys make 11.00 an hour have full benifits, pto etc. and I would give it all up for a job like in my area that just to do something in the process of taxidermy for a living. I know its cliche but I would rather scrape buy doing something rewarding, Like just being a part of the finished product of wildlife art than be rich doing something else.

Kim

This response submitted by Andrew on 5/31/06 at 10:11 PM. ( andyswildlifecreations@yahoo.com ) 207.89.210.212

Kim, trust me I would apply if I was near ya LOL, up here companys are shutting down in my area and the job hunters out number the quality jobs so most offer 8 bucks an hour lucky if ya get 10. Its getting to the point I am thinking of offering to travel tp others shops and help out for a few weeks at a time for some type of pay and maybe a place to stay or pitch a tent just for some type of cash LOL. Take care and good luck in yer search.

Thanks Andrew

This response submitted by Kim on 6/1/06 at 12:48 AM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

The only real problem that is evident from several people is that they just don't like to work. Most prefer a desk job or something else making $$$$$$. At times it is very laughable.

I wish you the best in finding suitable employment as the economy is not as great as the news media reports it to be!

Take care.

where are you located

This response submitted by bob on 6/1/06 at 8:04 AM. ( ) 206.15.138.213

where are you? i would do it part time. i have asked around my area and no one is ever interested.

That is the big problem

This response submitted by Alex on 6/1/06 at 1:30 PM. ( ) 66.245.126.180

Americans are lazy, so hire 2 mexicans at 5.00 an hour and you got yourself 2 skinners for the price of 1.

so stop talking about the Illegal Immigration , that is why they are here, the natives do not like to work or don't need to becuse they rather take welfare and food stamps, that is the fact Jack !

Americanns are to blame for slavery ,because land owners wanted someone else to do their Jobs and for the illegal immigration as they want cheap labor, we are too lazy.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu