N.T.A. problems/ G.T.A. problems

Submitted by Scott Hodges (G.T.A. president) on 5/31/06 at 7:15 PM. ( HodgesDuckdock@aol.com ) 64.12.117.13

I read about lots of things on this forum, questions about this and questions about that, comments about this and comments about that, but the one thing that seems to get the most responces is comments about the associations that bring a lot of benifits to taxidermist. The questions seem to go unanswered a lot of times but the bad mouthing comments keep on coming. I will be the first to take some blame for statements that I have made on here, but most of the time I try to be respectfull of others and if I can, answer any questions that I feel I am qualified to answer. With all of that said I will move on to what I really want to say, for the last two and a half years I have served as president of what I feel is one of the greatest associations in the country, the Georgia Taxidermist Association. I have dealt with a few problems but over all things have run pretty smooth. I have tried new things, some of whitch didn't work and some that did, I have tried to bring back some of our older members and members that have left because of problems in the past, and I have tried to recruit new members. Some of you may remember last summer when I posted on this sight and vented a little about lack of participation at an event that we had, well after that event, I pretty much lost my enthusiasm for the association, and I would like to appoligize right now for not putting forth 100 percent for the last year and a half. I got so caught up with the negative that I overlooked all of the positive, and not untill the last couple of weeks have I realized how many people need the G.T.A. Our annual convention is coming up June 14-17 and I have been overwelmed at the responce from suppliers and members.
Now I get on this sight and I see all of the anamosity with the N.T.A and it makes me sick. Everybody is so full of "helpfull advice" but no one wants to stand up and do anything, it's the same way with the G.T.A. 10 percent of the members do 90 percent of the work and everybody else critisizes and complaines. We had nominations for the presidents position, vice president and three board member positions for our annual election this year, of all of those positions 1 person is running for president, no one for vice president and only three people for the board positions, what does that say? Well it could say one of two things, either nobody wants to stand up and take thier turn giving back, or nobody wants to do all the work and get nothing but negative critisism in return, I tend to lean toward the later. But we must remember that without these people volunteering these organizations can not exist, so where does that leave us? It leaves us with no direction and no focus for the future. Without all of the people we have nothing, but with the people we have everything, even with the critical negative veiws that some people have, it takes everybody working together to make things work.
I am very sad to say that the world lost a fine taxidermist, and great man this past weekend, Roger Warren, one of the founders and past president of the G.T.A. passed away. I never had the chance to become close to Roger but I did call on him before I accepted my nomination for president and aked his advice. He told me to never put friendships or my feelings before the G.T.A., if the G.T.A. is to continue to grow and prosper it has to come first. For the most part I have followed his advice and because of that I have lost some friends along the way and made a few enemies, but I have tried to do what I thought was right for the G.T.A. and I will continue to do that as long as I am a member.
Sorry to have rambled on and on, I would like to see just once everybody have a positive attitude and try to overlook the petty things and make the N.T.A. and the G.T.A. work for the common good of taxidermist everywhere. If we all had the attitude of Roger Warren our associations would be a force to be reconed with.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Couldnt agree more...

This response submitted by Ken on 5/31/06 at 11:55 PM. ( fishwork2005@yahoo.com ) 72.152.201.54

Sorry to hear about Mr Warren. I know he was well respected, particularly in the GTA. Good luck with the convention.

I Agree

This response submitted by cat on 6/1/06 at 10:41 PM. ( ) 67.72.98.109

Scott,

I want you to know that some of the members have stood behind you during the good and bad times. We will contiue to be there for the GTA as we always have. As for the ones complaining they need to take action instead of running their mouths. We as members have a duty to support our board members and president and respect their decisions if they wanted to change something then they need to run for the board or president and step up to the plate and take action instead of running there mouths. We are looking forward to the covention. We are hoping this will be a good convention without all the fuss. I also want to let you know that you have been a good president for the GTA and you have tried to put things back together and we as members appreciate that. We hope to see you at the convention.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu