Another Taxi Site ? Poll

Submitted by Alex Sr on 7/1/06 at 12:45 AM. ( ) 66.32.95.118

What would make another site better ?

Able to post pics of your work ?
Able to erase or delete your messages.
Having to register so everyone knows who started a post ?

Just what would make it interesting ?

This is Just a poll

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I thought it was a Mastercard advertisement Alex

This response submitted by George on 7/1/06 at 1:02 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.136

I was waiting for the "Priceless" ending. LOL

But lets be realistic. Like the GEICO gecko says: "Pie and chips. For Free. You got pie and you got chips, and it's all for FREE!" There are already sites like you're discussing in this "poll", but then all the information is right here. It's just like the Buckmasters Trophy Whitetail Scoring System. When you're done, someone going to say, "Oh yeah? Well what does it REALLY score B&C?"

And you didn't make a single mention of the orange SEARCH button.

Keep this site but...

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/1/06 at 6:33 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

upgrade it with all the options you listed. Registration would eliminate the no name cowards. Adding pics to your post would be a great option that is standard on other sites.

Volunteer moderators would add some civility here too without tying up Ken's time. I also think being able to contribute monetarily to this site which would give one more personal options (standard on other sites), and advertisers would be good too.

Cecil, I use my name

This response submitted by George on 7/1/06 at 8:43 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.70

And it doesn't keep me from calling YOU names or from YOU GOING TO SOME OTHER SITE YOU ENJOY BETTER!

I agree, this site needs...

This response submitted by Kerby... on 7/1/06 at 9:22 AM. ( azmilk@cableone.net ) 72.24.145.128

I agree, this site needs to be updated (keep up with the times), with the features that you have mentioned. Other forums/sites on other topics have been doing those features for over 6 years now. Being able to attach pics is a must!

Kerby...

Check this out

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 7/1/06 at 9:23 AM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 68.238.2.235

Go to Google and enter:

site:taxidermy.net

After that drill, try this one:

site:ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

Yeaaah, Baby! Let's teach Ken how to set up a website! It's amazing as to how one of the WORLD'S most successful websites can have so many shortcomings.

LMAO

This response submitted by George on 7/1/06 at 10:38 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.70

God Glen. YOU DA MAN!

The only thing

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 7/1/06 at 11:07 AM. ( ) 70.32.36.76

I would change is I like Message Boards where the most active posts stay on top. There is really no way to tell on here when people post replies.

Yes, I know it says when the last reply was...but who the heck keeps track?

Picture posting would be nice, but most of the time you have to post them on an image hosting site...who has all this time on their hands?

And your point it Glen?

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/1/06 at 11:11 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

I can't offer suggestions to improve the site when it has a link to my site? I see no reason to have an orgasm George. LOL

One more option I'd like to see is emoticons. They can be a blast when you're trying to get your point across. It would be great with some of the semi illiterates on here. LOL

My personal opinion

This response submitted by Jessica on 7/1/06 at 11:22 AM. ( horseelady_jessie@yahoo.com ) 207.231.119.26

I don't think you should charge to use the sight, you would be closing a big door on alot of people. Younger people and older people alike. Registration is a good idea but any one can make a fake name and register. It would be nice to have a way of attching pics. with your post if need be though. That's about the only thing I would change. Just my thoughts

I think the site is just fine the way it is, don't like it?

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 7/1/06 at 11:36 AM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

then LEAVE! and don't let the cyber door hit you in the rear. I don't think we'll miss anyone or even notice any one is gone. Doesn't WASCO and Ken do enough for us. I huess some people are just never happy. Give someone something for free and then they want free improved upon. LMAO! Dan

Keep it free...

This response submitted by Craig on 7/1/06 at 11:42 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

but charge for a pic posting.

Cecil, I think you missed Glen's point.

Who is Alex Sr. any hoo? King Alex,

This response submitted by Glen on 7/1/06 at 12:31 PM. ( ) 68.238.2.235

or a different Alex?

Cecil, I'm trying to be gentle with you...didn't work, let's try a direct approach.

"I can't offer suggestions to improve the site when it has a link to my site?"

Your quote from above. Sorry, bud, but YOU do not have a website.

Another drill, same as above, go to Google, enter:

site:ligtel.com

Go to the second page and you will find YOU have pages on LIGTEL'S site.

I have a question for you? Why on earth are the kb sizes of the photos on your home page such large files? That kind of stuff kills people on dial-up.

Glen if your computer can't handle it

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/1/06 at 2:44 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

spend some money to upgrade your computer or get a DSL line. Doesn't it worry you customers could be trying to reach you while you tie up your line by being on the computer? Good God I would never go back to a dial up. That's like being stuck in black and white! Next!

Jessica I don't see where anyone said it should cost someone to be on the site. ? At least you didn't cuss this time.

Who is

This response submitted by Alex Sr on 7/1/06 at 3:21 PM. ( advancetaxidermyall@hotmail.com ) 66.32.95.118

Is Glen anyhow ?

In other words, Cecil,

This response submitted by Glen on 7/1/06 at 4:19 PM. ( ) 68.238.2.235

you are still clueless?

Alex, I just wanted to be sure it was the same Alex that would take a knife to a boar fight.

BTW, Cecil, DSL, two separate toll free lines, and a separate line for the fax. I suppose you just have the one, huh?

Hey Dan...

This response submitted by Kerby... on 7/1/06 at 4:38 PM. ( azmilk@cableone.net ) 72.24.145.128

**...then LEAVE! and don't let the cyber door hit you in the rear. I don't think we'll miss anyone or even notice any one is gone. Doesn't WASCO and Ken do enough for us. I huess some people are just never happy. Give someone something for free and then they want free improved upon. LMAO! Dan **

Some of us are happy (although you seem bitter?). Nothing wrong with improvement...I hope that you seek improvement in your work as well...as some of us seeking improvement aren't going away (door hitting me in the rear). Taxidermy/this site/sharing information.. and "improvement" go hand-in-hand. You can choose to stay in the dark ages if you prefer. LOL

Cheers

Kerby...

message bumping...

This response submitted by Drew M. on 7/1/06 at 5:49 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.243

I wish the active topics would bump back up to the top once someone posts a new message. Sure beats looking for an topic from a few days ago. This is the only website I have seen that is set up this way.

And I agree, we should all have to register and pick screen names.

So sensitive Kerby, just goes to show you

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 7/1/06 at 8:02 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

I didn't mention any names so sorry you took it to heart. Guess the shoe fit and you busted yourself out. I've been on here since this site started and don't worry your little sole, I'll be here when your gone too! LOL Bitter? Thats funny from the school I come from they call that honesty. Some people can handle and most can't. Dan

I just fell out of my chair!

This response submitted by oldshaver on 7/1/06 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 68.221.24.85

For once, Dan didnt mention the WLG in one of his posts!

Yes Glen decode what you meant for me

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/1/06 at 9:38 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

I had really high scores in Air Force meterology school but couldn't decode ship positions fast enough. I guess my lack of aptitude in that area is rearing it's ugly head again. LOL

I want a site with more hot chicks, but

This response submitted by Ron on 7/1/06 at 9:50 PM. ( ) 12.181.15.101

then my wife would ban me from this too.

You proved my point...are you bored?

This response submitted by Kerby... on 7/1/06 at 10:28 PM. ( azmilk@cableone.net ) 72.24.145.128

**I didn't mention any names so sorry you took it to heart. Guess the shoe fit and you busted yourself out. I've been on here since this site started and don't worry your little sole, I'll be here when your gone too! LOL Bitter? Thats funny from the school I come from they call that honesty. Some people can handle and most can't. Dan**

Keep tootin' your own horn..you will feel better LOL

So...you've been here on this site since it started..and that means WHAT? That your opinion is any better? :)

You are so concerned about "honesty", that's all I was being - honest. LOL

Bottom line: is that IMO change is good..you are content with mediocrity. I wasn't complaining, just replying to the original comment on what would make a better site. I like this site...but it could be better as IT IS antiquated. This is 2006.

Enough said.

Kerby...

I must be bored,

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 7/1/06 at 11:48 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

but if it keeps you on your toes I guess it's worth it. Hopefully this is some of the improvement you are striving for. Like I said in the previous post I didn't mention any names, you just took the post to heart. You brought up my name by trying to quote me. At least that part of your post was worth reading. There is a difference between honesty and complaining. At least I thought there was. You claim the site is great and then you claim it is mediocre at best. I guess if thats what you consider this site then your right I am satisfied with it. Go make your own site and have people join it. Then you can have the perfect Kerby site. Have a nice day Kerby. oh by the way did I tell you how great the Wildlife Gallery is. If you are looking for the quality that most professionals desire try them out. Thats my taxidermy tip of the day. (Just for you oldshaver, I knew you would appreciate that) LOL Dan

Pay attention Dan...you are confused

This response submitted by Kerby... on 7/2/06 at 1:29 AM. ( azmilk@cableone.net ) 72.24.145.128

**but if it keeps you on your toes I guess it's worth it. Hopefully this is some of the improvement you are striving for.**

No, I've already mentioned the improvements I'd like to see. See, even you just admitted that I am after "improvements", I'm not complaining.

**You brought up my name by trying to quote me.**

I didn't "try" to quote you - I DID QUOTE YOU. You need to pay attention.

**There is a difference between honesty and complaining.**

You need to pay attention here...the thread was asking for something (go to the top of the page and READ) and I responded. I wasn't complaining about anything, I was responding to a request. Are you still confused?

**You claim the site is great and then you claim it is mediocre at best.**

I never said that...I did say that I like this site, but that it could be better. The purpose of this thread. Still confused?

**Go make your own site and have people join it. Then you can have the perfect Kerby site.**

I have no desire to do that, nor have I indicated as such. Is that how you handle disagreements?

**oh by the way did I tell you how great the Wildlife Gallery is. If you are looking for the quality that most professionals desire try them out.**

I have, thank-you.

**Thats my taxidermy tip of the day. (Just for you oldshaver, I knew you would appreciate that) LOL Dan**

Thank God, that was FREE!

Later

Kerby...

Cecil, you are going to have to save up

This response submitted by Glen on 7/2/06 at 11:28 AM. ( ) 68.238.2.235

enough Bazooka Joe comics to get one of those Dick Tracy de-coder rings so you will understand what people are writing and or talking about. Oldshaver might loan you his, but you'll have to get it back to him right quick, that's what he uses to read punch codes in salt dried hides.

One of the original questions asked by King Alex, "Able to post pics of your work ?".

OWWWW! What a way to screw things up! Look, here's actual numbers from your homepage, and by comparison, your's really aren't all that bad, but far from good. New phrases for the day:
transfer allocation
transfer speeds or down-load

Compare the sum total number of kb below to the kb number of the fish category for this last month.

bass was 57 kb reduced to 13 kb
Pixel dimensions were 530 x 786, reduced to 200 x 297

brown was 49 kb reduced to 10 kb
Pixel dimensions were 583 x 874, reduced to 198 x 297

perch was 51 kb reduced to 15 kb
Pixel dimensions were 768 x 418, reduced to 297 x 546

brook was 81 kb reduced to 18 kb
Pixel dimensions were 525 x 816, reduced to 270 x 420

Cecil, if your webmaster can't handle it, spend some money to upgrade your webmaster, or learn to do it yourself. While you're at it, spend some money and get some photo programs. Good God I would never use a program that only compressed the physical size of a photo. That's like being stuck in black and white! I didn't think anyone really used those things. That is antiquated to the max, after all this is 2006.

I commonly get mount photos sent to me. To get photos in a size range of 650 to 1500 kb is common. The record was a little over 3500 kb for a single photo. To put things in perspective, a floppy disk holds 1,440 kb. If photos of this size were uploaded to a website, what would happen?

Another question posed by King Alex, "Having to register so everyone knows who started a post ?".

There's really no point in having a website if no one can find it. I would suppose that most of the people here got here originally by search engine, either directly in or from a link from another site that was found by search engine.

Let me tell ya, search robots DO NOT REGISTER FOR NO-O-O BODY!
The first demonstration I gave using the immediate below should have more than got the point across.
Go to Google and enter:
site:taxidermy.net
After that drill, try this one:
site:ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

What would be the point in having an Archives if only a few people knew it was there?

After taking the time to use Cecil's site and photos to illustrate the point, I sent the photos to Cecil. It took three attempts. Normally if someone has a spam blocker in place, I just delete that person from my address book, but I had wasted more time on this than I should have.

Cecil would not even be able to receive technical bulletins with his "registration" in place. Those are all automated mailings. Search robots are automated programs.

I suppose, given enough time, it is "possible" the real and perfect world will catch up with Star Trek, I also suppose none of us will live long enough to see it happen.

You guys Quit Whining

This response submitted by BlackCat on 7/2/06 at 3:29 PM. ( harperstaxi@bellsouth.net ) 67.72.98.119

This site is here for people to learn taxidermy not to get in discussions about who is right or wrong. All Alex asked is what can be done to improve the site not to go off on each other. Act like grown men instead of a bunch of kids. Everyone has a right to their opinion. As for the poll. I think this site is great. Yes it would be nice if you could post pictures and update the posts more often. You cant complain when the site is free. By the way I have been coming to this site for years. So why cant everyone just get along. lol BE NICE

you guys are something...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 7/2/06 at 11:25 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.208

If this post doesnt clearly illustrate some things! First, how many times are we going to go through this one? Look, theres OBVIOUS reasons we have posted way too many times why Ken isnt doing this. He knows more then many of us about this stuff, trust me. Its a format he has, and doesnt want to lose by making the changes. hes got a good handle on things, just believe it. Besides, aside from the pics thing, you goofballs proved once again that registration means zilch! My buddy Dan and these other guys are going back and forth, doing all of what you guys dont want, and using their names, too! So much for the value of registering...

Maybe the best part is good old Cecil, telling us how intelligent he is, to so many of us who have to explain things to him like we do...lol.

I'm coming in late...

This response submitted by Lou on 7/3/06 at 2:35 AM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 71.254.214.252

I've been in the software\computer industry for 8 years and Glen I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

You're gooleing for a specific site and you don't get a hit on Cecil's so what? Do a google on Cecil Baird and see what comes back. You'll find the crawlers have been past his site.
Why would you say Cecil doesn't have a site anyway? To correct you he most certainly does have a site, it's doesn't make a difference what parent domain name he's registered under or what server his sites HTML resides on as long as they have a valid IP and that's it's registered with a DNS server.

9 out of 10 internet forums on the net require a registration. Part of the registration process is receiving an email from the site and following link within to complete the process. If spam filters are picking off the emails you'll know it because you be able to register, in which case you make an expectation in your spam software to allow those emails coming from "site whatever) or purchase a better spam filtering software.

Now, onto the question about this site. It's easy to say add this or that feature but when the rubber hits the roads it's rather difficult. I've never spoke with Ken so I have no idea what his reasons are but I'll assume I know and give only the #1 reason why I wouldn't do it :-)

Transferring the data that's been using this forums format for years now would take loads of scripting and very complex data validation and handling (none which I'd look forward too if I were Ken) to verify text is pulled out and put back into a new system correctly or lots and lots of html and scripting to upgrade what he has to suit your wants, all the while mind you not making a dime off the forums (except for WASCO exposure of course).

In all, enjoy that you have a free site to share information and ideas on :-)

Thanks Bill but you know me,

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 7/3/06 at 12:18 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

lets see how tight we can get this spun. I just get so tired of people that get things for free and still don't appreciate them. When was the last time we seen a post by one of these new gals or guys telling Ken or WASCO thank you or how many have even just told them that in an email or even in person? All of us that know Ken, have seen all the work he does at the World Shows and competitions, thats why we don't need to ask for improvements to anything. We UNDERSTAND his hard work and dedication. All of his hard work and we get to post cheesy threads just like this. Some of the pictures of mounts we have seen over the years, do we really want some of them on a Professional website. No, not really. Let them post them on their own sites. The important pictures are posted by Ken and changed out regularly any how on the front page.

Finally, kerby you seem so witty, I am still confused? LMAO. Maybe the site will meet your and some of the others approval someday and all these great improvements will be made. God knows that there have only been hundreds of threads just like this because someone "wants" improvements, on this site? They still use it every day. HMMM, must be good enough. I hope you don't stress out to much, you are easily spun up. 4th of July is tomorrow if you can make the fuse last that long. Happy 4th everyone! Have a safe one. Dan (Black Cat I'm one of the nicest guys on here, just ask anyone, except for Bill)

Happy 4th to you too Dan

This response submitted by Kerby... on 7/3/06 at 12:43 PM. ( azmilk@cableone.net ) 63.226.23.69

**Maybe the site will meet your and some of the others approval someday and all these great improvements will be made.**

Improvement is not a bad thing Dan :(

I do appreciate this site and the work that goes into it. I've never said otherwise.

**They still use it every day. HMMM, must be good enough.**

Because it is the only one like it. Could be better.

Other sites have made the transition to stay updated. A lot of work? You betcha!

Remember Dan,
***What would make another site better ?

Able to post pics of your work ?
Able to erase or delete your messages.
Having to register so everyone knows who started a post ?

Just what would make it interesting ?

This is Just a poll***

Change is good...and sometimes a necessity

Kerby...

I believe you Dan

This response submitted by Blackcat on 7/3/06 at 3:31 PM. ( harperstaxi@bellsouth.net ) 67.72.98.119

when you say you are one of the nicest guys on here and I have heard a lot of good things about you in the taxidermy industry. You have a good reputation in the business. By the way this is just a nickname
I was given by some other taxidermists that me and my husband know. They say I have a short fuse LOL. My name is really Christy. We have always tried to tell anyone that does anything for Thank you and how much it means to us and our business. Because without this site and others we could not communicate with each other, help out new taxidermists let other taxidermists our point of view on things. I for one want to Thank WASCO and Ken for having this site. I hope everyone has a safe and fun 4th of July.

to Lou and the others

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 7/3/06 at 6:21 PM. ( ) 67.138.14.210

Im sorry I dont know the cool computer geek jargon for what Im trying to say, Im just the geek part...Ken once (or twice) explained to me something to the effect that this is an older version of something, and to update or change would also change other desirable features he really wants. He has a whole maintainance format to save too, for instance, and some of these changes, due to size, host, etc are just not what he wants or is willing to comprimise. Is that understandable? Again, sorry Im not up on the terms, but thats in a nutshell how it is.

Too bad for you non-bird people

This response submitted by Nancy C on 7/3/06 at 7:56 PM. ( ) 207.69.137.26

We feather freaks actually DO have an alternative: http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu