Disposing of old mounts of all types including ducks

Submitted by Joey Arender on 7/7/06 at 3:03 PM. ( J32a2aol.com ) 152.163.96.139

Just curious. I had a call today with someone asking how should they throw away their old mounts with some dating back to the early sixties. I referred them to the USFWS. I am wordering how would you do this. I am sure some of the products used to preserve the mount could cause health risk if they where to be taken apart. I am also sure there could be some enviromental issues.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Forgot there are some ducks

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 7/7/06 at 3:06 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.73

too. He had the paper work for them, but would if you where the recipient of gifted migratory birds have to report them on some type of disposal paper work.

I've Been Doing...

This response submitted by Old Fart on 7/7/06 at 3:55 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.65

...This since 1959. I never once used anything like arsenic, which would be the main hazzard. In fact, I don't even think is was available through the catalogs even then. You could buy asbestoes through the Jonas catalog, they had it listed as an ingrediant in their hide paste formula.

As far as paper work for ducks, it goes with the bird. The person in posession is the one that would bare any burden of proof, should it come to that. Even then there is nothing illegal in the giving away of ducks, especially if they are already mounted. Sale of wild shot birds would be the problem and if they have paperwork, they are most likely pen raised and not illegal to sell.

Here's what I do when disposing of old(really bad) mounts. I walk out the the garbage can, lift the lid and INSERT the specimen. If the garbage man thinks it's worth retreiving, I guess you could consider it a gift.

Joey

This response submitted by Mo on 7/7/06 at 3:56 PM. ( ) 4.156.243.127

Try and operate on the KISS principle and don't go looking for trouble !

what type of mounts

This response submitted by Michael on 7/8/06 at 1:25 AM. ( nyonalaketaxidermy@lycos.com ) 216.223.173.45

just wanting to know those would be perfect for preservation of our industyhave him contact me.

Well Mo

This response submitted by Joey on 7/8/06 at 2:32 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.68

They aren't my mounts and I was keeping it simple, I passed him off to someone else.

Thanks OF, I was told by a guy that has been doing this for quite some time that several taxidermist used it even though he never did; in mounts in the pre 70's, so that was the main question I had about getting rid of them and wondering.

Michael, He said that they could not give them to anyone. Did not explain why but just that they couldn't and most had been beat up really bad over the years anyhow. My guess would be because of some type of ins. stipulation.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu