fish hide paste?

Submitted by guy on 7/8/06 at 12:21 PM. ( guyandkali@yahoo.com ) 208.38.117.180

Hi everyone, I am having trouble with my trout. ive tried lifetone hide paste and latex caulk, but my trout skins wrinkle, i have used the blue foam, white foam and pink foam when i carve my bodies. any ideas on a hide paste that works on thin skin fish.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Everyone has a paste...

This response submitted by Kerby... on 7/8/06 at 2:13 PM. ( azmilk@cableone.net ) 72.24.145.128

Ten people will probably respond with ten different formulas for hide paste. I like using Sure Stik 111 (wallpaper glue) on just about all of my mounts (mammals, fish, reptiles...). It takes a few days to set up and allows you to make adjustments before it finally sets.

Kerby...

i use dextrine

This response submitted by ryan olson on 7/8/06 at 2:26 PM. ( ryanolson72@yahoo.com ) 69.214.7.11

I use powder dextrine and mix with warm water until you get a nice smooth mixture. This locks the skin down nice and seems not to cause wrinkling. You can get it through several supply companies. Just my opnion...

ryan
sportsmansdreamtaxidermy.com

Guy

This response submitted by JL on 7/8/06 at 4:05 PM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.239

I do several brook trout a year and you don't get skin any thinner than those. I also carve my own trout bodies out of foam and I have carved them out of balsa wood. I use Polytranspar Hide Paste, or Buckeye Supreme Paste on all trout. I apply about 1/16th of an inch of paste on the carved body and apply the skin.This forms a layer that will smooth any small imperfection on the skin.Also as the skin dries it pulls itself into the paste(that dries slower)and eliminates any wrinkles or small bumps. JUST BE SURE NOT TO USE BORAX WHERE IT WILL TOUCH THESE PASTES, AS IT WILL CAUSE THE PASTE TO CURDLE.Good luck...JL

try

This response submitted by bob on 7/8/06 at 4:23 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.69

elmers wood glue...works for me!

Something good

This response submitted by tom on 7/8/06 at 5:07 PM. ( ) 88.101.116.180

and inexpensive is a water clean up carpet glue. I guess this makes # 5 of the 10.

Here's my 2c's

This response submitted by Gorb on 7/9/06 at 3:30 AM. ( a.bukskyner@yahoo.com ) 63.235.225.216

I usually just read these but...I like using the water based wallpaper paste too, it doesn't curdle up like the other's when it contacts borax.But I do add flat latex (white) paint to it. I have always carved my own fish forms,which are green,pink or blue. The white leaves a nice background to highlight the markings, especially on trout.

Put this in the fish category and I'll answer it.

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/9/06 at 10:10 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

I'm not allowed to post here. LOL

hide paste may not be the problem

This response submitted by Terry Bennett on 7/9/06 at 12:29 PM. ( ) 4.227.200.114

You might try making your bodies a little larger so that you don't have to much excess skin. Be sure that the anatomy is still correct just make them a tiny bit bigger, then work out all the air bubbles when mounting.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu