PA's Governor Signs HB 1528 on July 7th

Submitted by Dan Snyder on 7/9/06 at 10:55 PM. ( ottercreektaxidermy@outdrs.net ) 63.235.67.20

House Bill 1528, sponsored by Rep. Rod E. Wilt (R-Crawford/Lawrence/Mercer), amends Title 3 (Agriculture) and Title 34 (Game) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes to provide for licensing of taxidermists.

Currently, taxidermists operate under the state Game Code (Title 34, which imposes a $100 annual fee for a taxidermy permit, and provides for unlawful acts by taxidermists.) This bill transfers all responsibility for taxidermists to the Department of Agriculture, where they must register and are still subject to the $100 a year registration fee.

The bill passed the House 195-2 and the Senate, with amendments, 49-0. The House concurred 194-2. The bill is effective in 90 days.

The above was copy/pasted directly from the PA PowerPort website. On July 7th the Governor signed 73 bills - HB 1528 was one of them! We will be working with the PA Dept. of Agriculture on the rules and regulations pertaining to this bill.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Awesome

This response submitted by Nina lukaszewicz on 7/10/06 at 1:08 PM. ( nal2009@zoominternet.net ) 72.23.19.197

I guess this means I can open up my shop to customers probably before buck season. I can't wait! Thanks to everyone who made this happen! :)

Nina

HB 1528 ? Good or Bad ?

This response submitted by Lee on 7/11/06 at 5:18 PM. ( ) 207.255.159.183

I've been following this since it all began, I'm not totally for or against... How will this benefit someone who has been practicing taxidermy for many years ?
Also, who is the "WE" who will be working with the Dept. of Agriculture? Who decides on the rules and regulations ?

Lee

This response submitted by Dan Snyder on 7/12/06 at 2:50 PM. ( ottercreektaxidermy@outdrs.net ) 63.235.66.203

The "We" refers to the PTA which has appointed myself as chairman of the "Legislative Change Committee". I have been in contact with the PA Dept. Of Agriculture throughout this entire process. Paul Czarnecki and I will be meeting with the PDA in the very near future concerning the rules/regs that will be written for this law. Once they have been written they must be published and the PA Bulletin where they will be open for public comment for a period of time before they are enacted.

As far as the "benefit" - the PGC will no longer control the taxidermy industry in PA. This all came about because of the PGC regulating commerce, illegal search & seizures, inconsistent interperation of Title 34 game codes, cancellation of the April '05 exam, and other situations. This law will allow taxidermists to be LICENSED and not "permitted" - it gives creditability and professionalism to our chosen career.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu