Pics of me live trapping in Iraq:Asiatic Wildcat

Submitted by chad dolbear on 7/11/06 at 5:55 AM. ( ) 71.199.41.186

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m120/gypjet/cat1.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m120/gypjet/cat2.jpg

I returned home from Iraq recently, and I had a couple of really horrible jobs I had to do over there as a DoD contractor, but one of the fun jobs was to trap as many animals as possible on whichever FOB(forward operating base)I was attached to. I ended up being on 4 FOBs. Besides these pics of the Asiatic Wildcat, I also got to live trap a pair of Heyenas in central Iraq, tons of mongoose, and about 23 Asiatic Wildcats. The cats were really fascinating though. All of them to a "T" had the same denning beahvior. They dug holes straight into flat ground, always next to a mound of some sort, and they would literally spread their tailings up to 100' feet away from their den.

Anyway, I will let decide what the cats look like, but to me, they had a miniature Cougar head. This particualar cat was a medium specimen.

In the populated areas, my targets were feral cats, but I would always catch mongoose accidently. One Mongoose really stood out while I was there. He ended up living under a metal shipping container and would end up catching him every day for a about a month. I would bait with hotdogs and the first day I found him in my trap, he just stood there while I lifted the trap up to my tailgate. I thought he was very brave because he acted like it did not phase him. I would open the door to the trap and then set it on the ground. He casually walked out and as soon as he cleared the door, he would run under his container.

About the third time I caught him, after he stood up at the sound of my truck, he just layed back down the whole time I was messing with the cage and when I sat it on the ground for his escape, he would casually stroll out of it and run for the container. After a while, he would not even stand up when I drove up to the truck and he just laid there the whole time I messed with the cage and sat it on the ground. Same thing with the stroll and dash for the container.

After a couple of weeks, I thought he was dumb for being caught everyday, but he was getting a belly full of hotdog and a secure place to sleep every night. Well I finally pulled my trap because I was not catching any cats and I was just feeding my mongoose. The next morning after pulling my trap, I had to drive right by the spot to get to a main road and there laying on the ground was my mongoose. Right where the trap was located the whole time I was catching him. He was depressed that he got no meal, so I stopped and through him a half a hotdog and he happily grabbed it and strolled under his containter. I fed him every morning for months and then they were relocating me and had to train a new guy. The new guy fed that mongoose for 6 months until he had to train someone new and that new guy is feeding him now.

Sorry for the long winded story, but I wanted to share the photos with people and I got carried away.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Chad

This response submitted by Mark on 7/11/06 at 6:21 AM. ( Mitrooper27@yahoo.com ) 69.216.104.191

Great story, thanks for sharing...

Trapping

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 7/11/06 at 7:21 AM. ( ) 76.0.164.128

Chad,
Great story. You should see about putting itin your local home paper. WHat was the purpose of trapping & releasing? I am guessing to keep them outof camp base or to keep them from setting something off?
No photos of the mongoose?
I had to trap a stray wild tomcat at my house once and all I ever cuaght was MY cat. Every morning when I got up there he was and every evening when I came home there he was. I htink he liked the extra attention. The wild cats look like large domestic cats..

That mongoose...

This response submitted by Craig on 7/11/06 at 8:29 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

kind of reminds me of a few democrats I know, lol.

Great story and pics too. When I first clicked on the pic I thought you might be one of them guys holding one of them giant spiders. I bet they would eat some dogs too if given the chance.

Great story Chad

This response submitted by George on 7/11/06 at 8:45 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

That cat looks like one pissed off customer. Got that look like you owed him money.

Chad

This response submitted by Dawn on 7/11/06 at 9:33 AM. ( ) 216.46.212.41

Welcome Home Soldier! The pics are great. I, too, would love to see pics of the mongoose. Cute story.

Thanks

This response submitted by J on 7/11/06 at 9:33 AM. ( ) 65.144.4.157

Nice story and pics thanks for sharing. Sometimes we don't realize that they have "other" animals running around over there than the "animals" in dirty night shirts slitting peoples throats. Very cool and interesting story. I imagine it would be a cool place if it weren't for the human vermin. I have heard they get their fair share of ducks there too ?

Actually

This response submitted by chad on 7/11/06 at 1:19 PM. ( ) 71.199.41.186

I did not see that many waterfowl, but I saw millions of eagles, hawks and falcons. Since most of the rural areas in the central part of the country have barley fields and not much modern equipment, there are billions of rats. One other surprise was that I found out that watermelon is like Iraq's third largest crop.

I cannot show most of my pics because of the background, but I am going through them.

Thanks for

This response submitted by Alex Sr on 7/11/06 at 2:12 PM. ( ) 66.32.123.163

Being there, Welcome Home !

Again Chad like Sue asked --

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/11/06 at 11:44 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

unless I missed it... What was the purpose of trapping and releasing the same animal over and over?

This response submitted by 1 on 7/12/06 at 12:23 AM. ( kim@yahoo.com ) 203.127.182.2

i like to see

Cecil, she did not ask that, but thanks for asking

This response submitted by chad on 7/12/06 at 10:31 AM. ( ) 71.199.41.186

I cannot tell what the purpose was. Sorry.

Yes she did Chad

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/12/06 at 11:29 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

It's in the third sentence below:

Trapping
This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 7/11/06 at 7:21 AM. ( ) 76.0.164.128
Chad,
Great story. You should see about putting itin your local home paper. WHat was the purpose of trapping & releasing? I am guessing to keep them outof camp base or to keep them from setting something off?
No photos of the mongoose?
I had to trap a stray wild tomcat at my house once and all I ever cuaght was MY cat. Every morning when I got up there he was and every evening when I came home there he was. I htink he liked the extra attention. The wild cats look like large domestic cats.

Sounds like a waste of our tax money to me. Of course the whole thing there is money down the toilet anyway IMHO.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu