Shipping my moose antlers back home

Submitted by Mike on 7/13/06 at 11:02 PM. ( ) 169.207.125.122

I am going moose hunting in King Salmon AK and if I get a moose is there better way to get them home? The smaller airlines will not take them anymore as bagage. Any advice from anybody that did this recently?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Take a bone saw

This response submitted by George on 7/14/06 at 12:51 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.6

Cut the skull plate in a deep horizontal "V". Tape them together, wrap them in dirty clothes and put them in your checked baggage. The big oversized Cabelas bag works great for this. I brought 3 caribou back from Fairbanks like that.

Wondering...

This response submitted by Terry on 7/14/06 at 4:31 AM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.170

Just curious... why smaller airlines? I would think you would be traveling Alaska Airlines- do they not carry antlers anymore? I believe you; just don't travel much myself. I would think a rather large percent of their customers to King Salmon are there to hunt and/or fish.

Good Luck on your upcoming moose hunt. :-)

Shipping moose antler's

This response submitted by DD on 7/14/06 at 12:49 PM. ( ) 212.64.224.250

I cut the skull plate,wrapped the tips with clothes and put in card board box and checked as carry on. I did have to ship on air cargo from Iliamna to Ancharge though, About $ 200 ?

Must have been

This response submitted by Crusty on 7/14/06 at 1:03 PM. ( ) 209.165.183.15

a really small moose to pass off as a carry on. I believe they are requiring all antlers to be boxed now, but wouldn't swear to it. If time allows, the best way to pad the points is to go to Home Depot or Lowes(or any hardware store) and get some cheap hose. Cut a short chunk and stick on each point. Duct tape into place. This is for a cardboard box. U-haul garment boxes work good. Then pay for excess baggage. Last fall, I happened to have a box made of 1/4" plywood in my shop that fit my buddies caribou antlers perfectly, after the skull caps were cut. JUST made it under the max weight for baggage...

Just

This response submitted by Alex on 7/14/06 at 4:15 PM. ( ) 66.32.123.163

Fedex the darn thing.

if BC

This response submitted by - on 7/14/06 at 7:17 PM. ( ) 216.144.8.70

If it's going to be a record-book animal, do not cut the skull plate.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu