spoiled Meat!

Submitted by Jerry Hart on 7/15/06 at 7:08 PM. ( kingoharts@frontiernet.net ) 70.97.110.232

One of my freezer's got unplugged. Naturally it was the one that DIDN'T have an alarm on it.
It held hides that belonged to me and some of them were frozen only and had not been fleshed. It REALLY REALLY smells and it makes my shop smell every time the door to the freezer is opened. Does anyone know how to eliminate this smell, or can it be eliminated? I'd rather not mask the smell, but I'd sure like to get rid of it. Can anyone help?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Maybe this will help

This response submitted by Tony on 7/15/06 at 8:07 PM. ( ) 69.221.10.113

My brother lost power once and lost everything (lots of fish) in his freezer. He tried everything to get rid of the smell and was ready to get rid of it, but somebody told him to try putting a bag of charcoal split and spread open in the freezer with the door closed and it worked. I don't know how long it took though but its worth a try. hope it works for ya.
Tony

The ammonia has likely saturated the seal

This response submitted by George on 7/15/06 at 9:19 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.7

Tell him to invest in a new seal AFTER he washes the inside with pine oil or some other strong cleaner. I buy products from Neutron Industries in Phoenix AZ that do an exceptional job of ELIMINATING odors. They just came out with a new one called SE-500 that does a spectacular job of cleaning and odor elimination. It may even clean that seal. They also carry a pump spray odor eliminator called NI-712. This stuff beats any commercial air freshener you'll ever find anywhere. It actually eliminates odor without covering it up. They are a little pricey, but they work like nothing you'll ever find at the supermarket. 1-800-421-8481

Check this out

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 7/16/06 at 12:17 AM. ( ) 155.84.101.2

George is right, here's the web address

https://shop.neutronindustries.com/b2c_SIP/b2c/init.do

Great stuff!

I put some dead fish sealed in bags

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/16/06 at 2:51 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

that had floated up on one of the ponds into one of my freezers. Didn't want to throw them in the weeds or something as I want to keep good relations with the neighbors.

Even though they were double bagged and never leaked it did create an odor in that freezer (not my taxidermy customer freezer). It seems to be slowly disappating.

Odd how that smell can get out of the plastic. I'm going to try some open boxes of sodium bicarbonate but the charcoal idea sounds good too.

Skunks are notorious for that Cecil

This response submitted by George on 7/16/06 at 5:38 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.7

I skin them, wash them twice and double bag them and there's still that musk smell that leeches out. I'm telling you, if you haven't tried Neutron, you should. Also, WASCO sells a hand sanitizer that's without equal in eliminating fish and even skunk odor on your hands.

Thanks George

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/17/06 at 8:28 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

I'll give both products a shot.

Thanks for all the information

This response submitted by Jerry Hart on 7/19/06 at 4:36 PM. ( kingoharts@frontiernet.net ) 70.97.110.232

Thanks for all the information on my freezer smell. I'll be giving maybe all of these a try. It may take all of them to finally get rid of that smell..Thanks again

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu