Do you use or allow tobacco in your shop?

Submitted by mrdux on 7/21/06 at 8:49 AM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.155.210.6

A thread about alcohol got me to wondering about situations others have. I have never used tobacco in any form. My family (being from KY)had raised tobacco as a major cash crop for generations. At a young age I learned I hated working in it and being around it being smoked/chewed/dipped.

When I built my new studio, I had decided it would be smoke-free but really wasn't going to make a federal case if someone dipped or chewed in it. That changed when a couple of guys came in to see my work and ended up spitting AT a trash can and I ended up cleaning it off the floor. A sign on my door now says "No tobacco please". I still get an occasional dipper who will bring in a bottle to spit in and I don't make an issue of that.

I know that I don't get work from a couple of former co-workers because of my tobacco stance. I also know that I have had compliments several times on my shop "not smelling like a taxidermy shop". I'm assuming that means others shops they have been in either reeked of smoke or smell bad from not being kept clean.

Do you allow or use tobacco in your shop? If you do, is it smokeless or anything goes? Some of my best friends and my son all smoke but they respect my desires to keep my shop from not smelling "like a taxidermy studio" and go outside to smoke. My parking area also has the deposits made by those who had a dip/chew in when they drove up but also respected my sign and got rid of it before coming inside.

I do a lot of fish reclaimation jobs where damage has been done over the years from mounts being exposed to smoke. I know the general public is starting to take a hard-line approach to public smoking. Where do you stand in respect to your studio/business?

Thanks

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Come to NY if you want to see a hard line stance on smoking

This response submitted by Craig on 7/21/06 at 9:32 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

I am all for it those laws myself, although I disagree that the government should be allowed to tell a business owner how to run his/her business. I feel it should be up to the customer to make the choice but the owner should be forced to post whether or not the premises allows smoking or not. Especially in bars where it seems many people smoke.

As for your shop. Do what YOU feel is right. Smoke does turn your walls, mounts, and lungs yellow. Spitting is just plain sick. If it is that good they ought to swallow it, lol. Hang a poster of what happens to people after continued use of chew or smoking and when someone asks why you aren't fond of it simply point to the mouth or lung cancer photo. I think you are making the right choice. In mainstream life, changes in our society come hard for some people. It has taken the smoking change many years to progress here in NY.

you are not out of line

This response submitted by Mr.T on 7/21/06 at 9:42 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.90

My brother spits in a bottle, and then leaves the bottle under the seat of my truck. I don't have a shop, I work out of my house, I make the shoes come off, how mean is that. It is your shop and you can run it anyway you want to. I would have made the spitters clean up the chew off the floor. Now if your shop was in a barn, then chew and smoke would not hurt a thing, however if you want a clean presentable shop, you have to have rules. Dirt and odors can be over looked by most people, but not all. Cleanliness is accepted by all. The same goes for selling a house or car, a clean one will bring better clientele and appeal to everyone. A dirty house will only sell to dirty people. A smelly shop will not appeal to everyone.

No Smoking in my shop

This response submitted by Dawn on 7/21/06 at 10:28 AM. ( ) 216.46.211.216

I have never had any problem with my No Smoking Policy from anyone. They are free to smoke outdoors! Even then they are not allowed to throw the butts on my neatly manicured lawn.

I have never had an issue with chew - I have seen guys spitting in cans but not in my trash.

If they would have spitted on my floor I too would have asked them to clean it up themselves.

I don't want to touch that foul stuff that comes out of their mouth.

It is your shop - you set the rules. If they don't like it tough.

Most of the country is becoming non-smoking in most public places. I pay the taxes on my property and I choose to have a tobacco free area and if someone has a problem with that they can take their business elsewhere.

Most of my customers wouldn't be appreciative of picking up their trophies and having them smell like they have been sitting in a bar for a month.

Stand your ground - your customers play by your rules or they don't play at all.

Good Luck.

On the other hand..

This response submitted by jerry on 7/21/06 at 10:30 AM. ( ) 69.169.195.250

You could be like the little "Hitler" on 60 minutes last week who fires employees who have nicotine in their bloodstream. You should have seen this guy. His rationale was that it would cut down on health care costs for the company. Well, if everyone stayed fit until 70+ he will have to pay out more in retirement benefits. I personally think he is just happy at playing "god."

I guess Im the Redneck then

This response submitted by James on 7/21/06 at 11:32 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.14

I spit cope on my own floor when Im working (basement shop) Sometimes I will aim it at the garbage can, but I always keep it in the same area. Hey man it dries.

From a Previous Smoker...

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 7/21/06 at 12:59 PM. ( dakota AT mtaonline.net ) 12.32.62.137

I quit smoking on 11/9/05. My beliefs as a now NON smoker haven't changed from when I WAS a smoker. I think that in your OWN home/business/car you should be able to smoke/dip/chew...whatever. If a business/home/car that isn't yours prefers you not to smoke on their premises, then that's the way it should be.

I also believe that if you work in a bar and you don't like the smoke, you should find another job! No one is forcing you to stay there and work in the smoke.

I think what gets me the most is the no smoking in open air stadiums... can't smoke outside now? I just never got that one.

Hubby and I are the property managers for a small store. We still allow smoking in here. HOWEVER, if you smoke near my gas pumps or propane tank, I'm liable to get nasty!

Anywho, that's just my take.

Wolfie

No smoking

This response submitted by Becky P on 7/21/06 at 1:32 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

in my shop either. I don't smoke even though I grew up around it. Won't tolerate it in my shop. One, I don't want customer mounts to smell like smoke. Two, I don't want to blow up if someone comes in and I'm using bondo or fiberglass resin, etc. Three, insurance, I'd sure hate to have to use it for something like that (hope I never need it anyway, but you know).
As far as the dipping/chewing goes, I've never had a problem. They either spit outside or in a bottle they bring. But if I had one pull that little "spit at/in the trashcan stunt", there would be hell to pay. If they can't respect me more than that, they can leave and not come back. BP

Nope

This response submitted by Terry on 7/21/06 at 3:40 PM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.121

In both places that I have worked at taxidermy involving clients, my "studio" has been in my home. I do not drink/smoke and don't allow either in my home, so the same holds true for where I work. Because it is my home and my business, frankly I'm not concerned what others think of it, though it has never yet been an issue. Perhaps that's because it is in my home and not in a separate building...

Nope

This response submitted by Cowboy on 7/21/06 at 5:55 PM. ( ) 66.245.120.209

No smoking, no alcohol and no masturbating in my shop !

Colorado

This response submitted by Drew M. on 7/22/06 at 12:04 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.224

Here in Colorado they just passed a statewide ban on smoking. I am all for it. Smokers think the world is their trashcan. Throwing cigarette butts on the ground is no different than throwing garbage on the ground.

not in my studio you dont!

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 7/22/06 at 12:56 AM. ( ) 67.138.9.37

I dont mind if people smoke, chew, or fart tobacco. I do not want to outlaw it, either. But, I will not have any in my studio, why? Because its my studio, number one, and number two, having never smoked, I can smell it and I dont care to. I can smell the spit when they spit chew, too. I dont want that in my barrell even if they are a good aim. I like to greet customers at the front door, and I often see them pitch a butt to the ground. Its not pretty...I promptly TELL them (note, I didnt say ask) to pick that up and put it into THEIR vehicle. Yes its very embarrassing. Thats the breaks. To me its already embarrassing that they use the crap, no less that theyd throw it in my driveway. When I see a butt go out a window while driving, or see the bazillion of them on the ground outside a Walmart, I just giggle to myself at the fact they pay more for taxes than the actual product, just to use and ruin their bodies and lives with it. Thats a shame.

Smoking

This response submitted by Nat on 7/22/06 at 4:23 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

Yes I smoke ,I don't like it and am going to try and quit again before hunting season starts but I have tried to quit before .Addictions are tough ;yeah I know I,m not man enough.
---------I know smoking stinks to you and =============
I would respect your wishes when on your premises and would not smoke even in your yard and if I did I would put the butt in my pocket and take it away,if there was no trash can available .
I would however be careful of how politically correct we become ;it may be a big mac or beer or whiskey or pizzas or anything that might drive up the cost of the health care system .Anything that might be deemed to be driving up the cost to society.Are you over weight? Will they be forcing you to lose weight or pay higher taxes because you will be a burden on society when you reach medicare age.
We all should know that there has been a crusade to demonize the Suv. for the last 10 or 12 years do you remember all the nightly news articles or skits ,whatever they call them ? One nite telling you how much carbondioxide they put out ,one nite telling you how dangerous they are to other drivers because they are heavier or how they turn over easier .Some insurance companies even charge you more for driving an suv. ,not because it is more unsafe but because it causes more damage to smaller cars when in an accident .Does that make sence to you ? You are driving the safer vechicle .Why wouldn't they pay more?
These things I have mentioned may seem ridiculous to you ,but in our society today can you be sure that others won't find something you do as offensive, and will whatever it is, be condemed and your freedom to do it ,taken away? Today in this very country if you commit a crime and the judge and jury decides that when you commited this crime you had hate in your mind or heart ,you will get a much longer sentence ,if this crime happens to be aganst certain groups of people .(all except white males ,or business men ;you can hate them all you want).I ask you ;how the hell can they tell what you had in your heart or mind when you commited a crime?!
Be careful people don't be manuvered ;its your freedom!
Please role over ,George Orwell...and please tell us again... before it too late . For Gods sake.-----------PLEASE--I beg.

Nat

This response submitted by Drew M on 7/22/06 at 10:58 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.160

I can see your point, but it is a wonder tobacco is even legal. I see your arguement about not wanting the government to control you, but look at all the other products they pulled that aren't as harmful as tobacco. You cannot take ephedra for weightloss, you cannot take steroids as an athlete (testosterone), you cannot smoke pot (not addictive), you cannot even take Vioxx because some guy out of a million had a heart attack. So all those people with arthritis just have to suffer. What happened to their freedom? Meanwhile, smoking kills millions with cancer, it gets people addicted to a product that some company makes billions in profits from, and smokers can buy them anywhere. I wish people were addicted to deer mounts, I would be rich too.

Drew

This response submitted by Nat on 7/22/06 at 6:27 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.199

I agree it, should be outlawed but i'm sure it won't .Too many tax dollars. The ssme arguments can be made for many other products.
I truly believe people should be more concerned about what is being done to our childern in this society than any other issue .What is bieng done to them by the school system and the popular intertainment
culture ;from the way they feel about life to the jobs that they will be able to attain as adults.That is the crime of the century.
Don't get upset, many wil rise above it but many more will not.
I will not change the subject and rant about this issue,but let us be careful of what they try to shove down our throats .

Nat,

This response submitted by Craig on 7/23/06 at 9:55 AM. ( ctracker@rochester.rr.com ) 66.66.236.195

Good luck with that quitting. I smoked for 12 years and quit three times before I actually quit for good. It's been almost 20 years and as I look back at it, quitting smoking cigarettes was one of the most rewarding things I did in my life for both myself, my family, and my friends. I even had acute pneumonia once and quit for three months but as soon as I got around someone who smoked and had that first one, I was doomed again.

I pay enough in taxes without having to pay for that addiction. The government keeps raising taxes on these products because their justification of health care increases justifies these means. I can assure you, these taxes get placed into a general fund and are used for whatever they feel is appropriate at the time. And as with anything taxable, they raise taxes on them because they can.

If you want to know how I finally quit for good, drop me an email. Of course, you have to "want" to quit first. If you really wanted to you wouldn't be waiting until hunting season.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu