Secretary: George Roof

Board of Directors:
Al Holmes
Danny Owens
Joe Kaiser
Steve Wolk

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

And,

This response submitted by Bill@Hog Heaven on 7/22/06 at 7:57 AM. ( ) 24.59.215.89

do these results indicate business as usual or positive change?

Bill, you need to get out more often. LOL

This response submitted by George on 7/22/06 at 8:59 AM. ( ) 12.165.108.130

BEFORE this election, the board made some very forward thinking decisions. The by-laws are being rewritten to be more forthright in what they're saying. Our treasurers report is as encompassing as it's ever been so that members can see how every dime we take in is spent. The competition committee has introduced a "commercial division" for the first time in an NTA show. (We have over 30 entries at this first show using the system.) The affiliation program is being talked and actively worked on not to alienate members from non-affiliated states and allow those states to participate under rules that might afford certification points to their members. Our official sponsorship program is taking off and this show brought a surprising amount of interest in that. We were approached by two separate national freight companies wanting to know how they could participate. The TERF fund has come into being a viable force to help ALL taxidermists, not just NTA members. We picked up an additional 20+ new life members this year and last night I heard several people inquire about how to do that same thing. Our new "family life-membership" is growing in numbers and offers both partners protection under our AD&D insurance as well as incentives. SCI has become an integral member of our sponsorships and Doug Lugar told me yesterday that they will continue to offer the SCI Master Measurers Course at our convention (the only other such venue is at THEIR convention in Reno). They will begin this year including NTA advertising in their publications. We have picked up several new awards in our competitions that are sponsored by our suppliers. Aside from the commercial category,we now have a division just for turkeys. We are now an active member in the CWD Alliance and have been joined by Conservation Force's Executive Director John Jackson and Coppersmith's Carol Rutkowski in hopes of keeping ALL taxidermists updated on issues involving both CITES and APHIS related problems. We drew the attention of more media this year. At this convention, we have Dan Bantley's Taxidermy Trails and Joe Kulis' Castaway Kulis production filming. The local Billing newspaper ran a full page story with pictures. National Geographic is here filming us from start to finish for inclusion in one of their programs. The biggest coup may have come from CBS. The creators of the infamous "Guns of Autumn" sent a national crew here to record our convention from registration to awards banquet to include in their CBS Sunday Morning show.

Personally, I think the current board and the oncoming one have made this an exciting time for the NTA. Several states came to this competition ready to resign their affiliations and now aren't quite so sure about it. I know of one state in particular that has always opposed affiliation but have promised to revisit the issue now with the hint that it's very close to accepting affiliation.

We will never be any better than our membership and right now, that looks very promising. At last night's General Membership Meeting we awarded $950 in checks to our members as part of a program where NON-competing attendees share a portion of our "Prize Money". We also gave away over $2000 in gift certificates from contributing sponsors.

The NTA is still the last best hope for the taxidermy industry to provide a concerted voice to a nation wide audience. It remains committed to that issue and loyal to its members. If you aren't one (not speaking to you here Bill but to others) you need to stop complaining about what we DON'T do and join us in seeing what we CAN do. Show your pride. Join the ride. If you aren't a member, try us out for a year. Join after October 1 and allow your membership to carry you through 2007. Join us in Louisville, Kentucky next year and see what you've been missing.

BTW Bill, I could use a hog seminar next year. I didn't have a single one at this show. How about you or Robert donating one. I'll give you a big seminar room and promise you a good audience. How about it?

Congrats George

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 7/22/06 at 11:42 AM. ( ) 70.32.36.76

I hope that the new ideas being put forth for the NTA will take hold. It takes people with the guts enough to buck the system to combat apathy and complacency. NEW IDEAS may fail, they may SUCCEED. Either way you HAVE to adjust the staus quo in order to continue. HOWEVER without trying our organization becomes stagnant.

I hope that this means a new era for the NTA. Good Luck.

Check with me later George,

This response submitted by Bill @ Hog Heaven on 7/22/06 at 12:35 PM. ( ) 24.59.215.89

Rob might drive down to do another one.

Positive?

This response submitted by Kim Owens on 7/22/06 at 12:43 PM. ( ) 12.165.108.130

Jim, I am not sure if it is positive or not. Hopefully it will be but only time will tell. There is a group that has worked very hard for the changes needed in the NTA and they were not re-elected. The membership spoke here in Billings and I would hope the officers and board will continue to listen to what they are saying.

Please say it isn't so

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/22/06 at 2:50 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

all members of a state organization still need to be members in order to affliate as a state?

secretary George..

This response submitted by bill on 7/22/06 at 5:03 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.7

ill take coffee, black with two sugars.

I just can't picture George

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/22/06 at 5:44 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

in a skirt behind a typewriter. On second thought I don't want to!

But Cecil...

This response submitted by Hogger on 7/23/06 at 4:53 AM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

By saying you cant implies that YOU TRIED TO! Ah Ha, its all making sense now.

Now Hogger

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/23/06 at 10:18 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

I was referring to the stereotype of secretaries of days gone by. What are you talking about? Maybe YOU'RE revealing something here you should keep to yourself eh? ROFLMAO

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu