Need help

Submitted by Mike on 7/25/06 at 1:27 AM. ( ) 66.156.126.168

A couple of weeks ago I was about to start skinnng a clients squirrel when I noticed hair slippage on back of the neck in two places.A spot about the size of A dime and another the size of half A thumb. The mount was to be A standing mount with the tail going up the back almost covering the spots.Instead of calling the client and asking what he wanted me to do,like I should have done,I went on and mounted it.I told him about the damage and he left the shop.About 20 minutes later he calls back and said he was not satisified with the mount.He implied that I was responible for the damage.I explained I found it that way.He paid 100.oo down back in december and 80.00 when he picked it up.He told me he wanted the 80.00 back.Now my question,what would you guys do or how would you handle it.Should I refund the money (all) or give the 80.00 back and ask for the mount back. Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Oh boy

This response submitted by Hogger on 7/25/06 at 5:32 AM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

The first question that comes to mind is "Did he sign a contract?" and if so, does the contract cover this issue? If not, then you need to get a contract to avoid this kind of pain. Your second error was to not call and tell him and let him decide if he wanted to go forward. What you do from here is your judgement call. You can tell him to take a hike and risk him filing a small claim against you in civil court and/or losing him as a customer forever and perhaps a few of his friends even though it was not your fault that the hide slipped. Or you could give him $80 back and consider the $100 as covering your expenses and consider the whole thing a wash. But even with this scenerio he may not use you again and will likely still give your business bad lip service. I doubt he'd give you the mount back in exchange for the $80! Then he'd be out $100 and no mount then. Tell him that if he brings you another squirrel you'll give him a discount (and a contract). The very first thing my contract states is that I will not be responsible for failed or slipped hides and capes.

cut and sew

This response submitted by Mr.T on 7/25/06 at 2:02 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.186

Holes that small could have been patched or cut and sewen up?
But never left bald in hopes that it will pass. What were your thoughts as why to leave them the way they were?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu