Digital camcorders, anyone use these?

Submitted by Nina Lukaszewicz on 7/25/06 at 1:20 PM. ( nal2009@zoominternet.net ) 72.23.22.196

Soon I am buying myself a digital camcorder...this fall I'm getting into filming my own hunts, and just fooling around with my friends making stupid movies that we'll laugh at later. Should be exciting.
I've been looking at this one, but don't know if it's the right choice because in the reviews, people are saying they were having problems transferring their video footage to the computer. I need to be able to put my videos on the pc and then edit them with Windows Movie Maker...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007M3PJO/103-0954295-8197404?v=glance&n=502394

Does anyone here own a digital camcorder, and do you have any advice as to which one I should buy...I'm looking for something in the $250 price range, and it needs to be digital so I can transfer video to my computer.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Nina,

This response submitted by Frank E Sekula on 7/25/06 at 1:52 PM. ( taxidermy223@yahoo.com ) 68.76.97.234

I have a JVC digital video camera and I have no problem with the downloading of the film into the pc. I did have to buy the cord aftermarket and I also had to download a program for I think about $25.00 off of the internet to convert it over to dvd format for burning to disk so it could play on all dvd players. I will tell you the zoom on those camers are great at 700X but the higher the zoom the more you will need a tripod. At 100 yards a deer will fill the screan with no room to spare. I think I paid around $210.00 off of the internet for it. Also with a new camera you will have no time for your great taxidermy.LOL.

LoL frank

This response submitted by Nina Lukaszewicz on 7/25/06 at 2:39 PM. ( nal2009@zoominternet.net ) 72.23.22.196

Thanks for the advice. I know I'm gonna get a tripod, they aren't too expensive ($18 at Walmart) and I'll need one if I'm going to be filming my hunts, to keep the video steady. But anyways I just found a better camera on the internet. I'm looking at the Canon ZR500 MiniDV, it is around $250-$300. I also found out that I will need a Firewire cable to transfer video, and the Canon I'm looking at will work with that.

Very Good

This response submitted by Frank E Sekula on 7/25/06 at 3:02 PM. ( taxidermy223@yahoo.com ) 68.76.97.234

Nina, If my firewire goes out I now know where I can borrow one. The Canon is a great camera. I know you will enjoy it but now you will have to find that big buck to make into a movie star.

I have a canon

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 7/25/06 at 3:17 PM. ( ) 12.40.253.154

and I am happy with it. I also have a Mac for my movie work. Its a great tool. Fire wire works great. It treats the camera almost as another drive.

Keep in mind you get what you pay for. 250 isn't much to spend, so the features and options may be limited for you.

If you are filming hunts, you may want to invest in a tree mounted camera mount. Gorila has a good one that I have and I like it. It's easy to use in the tree.

Another thing. My camera works on a remote. It has one thing that bugs me and that is it shuts down after a certain time on pause. I have to physically turn it off and back on to restart. Whissburrclick! and if it shuts off when a deer is in sight, it's gone. Something to look at.

I have a friend that has a sony that works off a remote in the tripod and will stay powered until he turns it off.

You will also want to get 2 of the biggest batteries you can find. The stock little ones only last 20 to 30 mins when it counts. Cold will kill them fast. Batteries of that size are 60 to 80 bucks.

You might want to think about saving a little more and getting a little better unit to start with.

Doug

Nina

This response submitted by Crusty on 7/25/06 at 4:10 PM. ( ) 209.165.183.15

I think Pinnacle makes a much better program for editing. My wife is into it heavily, and I hear a lot less swearing with that program...LOL

Update

This response submitted by Nina Lukaszewicz on 7/25/06 at 5:34 PM. ( ) 72.23.22.196

Thanks to everyone for the advice...I was looking at the Canon ZR500 today in WalMart, and it is $350...A little more than what it was advertised on the net, but I think i can come up with the money. I also bought a nice tripod today at wally world for $15 (It was on clearance).

Nina

This response submitted by Crusty on 7/25/06 at 8:55 PM. ( ) 209.165.183.15

I believe that's the one we use. We've thrashed it pretty hard. Got it from Best Buy, and got the maintenance/warrantee contract too. It was well worth the extra money. Good fun posting video clips on Huntingfootage.com We have a couple on there.

Crusty

This response submitted by Nina on 7/25/06 at 10:53 PM. ( ) 72.23.22.196

I go on Huntingfootage.com all the time, in fact thats what inspired me to get a digital camcorder...can't wait to post my hunts on there sometime.

Just like good taxidermy...

This response submitted by Craig on 7/26/06 at 9:52 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

you get what you pay for. I have a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD92 and I like what it does. It's got great low light ability and even night vision. I'm not real fond of the little DVD discs as they are pretty pricey but I like the quality of the recording. It has a 20X OPTICAL ZOOM and brings things up real close if that's what you want. When I was all said and done I'm sure I was well over that $250 range as the price of an extra battery was killer. The movies download very easily with the Sony program and can be easily edited.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu