african capes

Submitted by Neil on 7/28/06 at 2:27 PM. ( ) 72.160.15.230

I'm going on an african plains game hunt in a few weeks with my bow and arrow. I can't afford to mount much so I will just keep skull and horns. If I brought the capes home, could I sell them? If so, what kind of prices do they bring?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

WHERE IN AFRICA

This response submitted by CHARLES on 7/28/06 at 2:40 PM. ( crobin80@ford.com ) 136.8.1.100

where in africa are you goung to hunt,i am from south africa

By the time you pay

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 7/28/06 at 2:48 PM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 66.190.240.176

All of the dip & Pack, Shipping & Clearance fees , you will never recuop the cost of that let alone make any extra money.

Just the shipping alone will be $1000. +.
& clearance fees for wildlife broker will start at $250.
Dip & pack in Africa is usualy $75.+ for each animal, although this fee will be charged wether you keep the skins or not

Salted skins are only worth around $200. some less & some a little more.

Most of the skins that I sell on here are extra skins that clients bring home & only have European mounts done, so they trade those skins in on the cost of there other mounts.

Hope this helps.

RJ Simington
541 883 2492

African capes just to help out

This response submitted by Neil on 7/28/06 at 5:57 PM. ( nadeering@centurytel.net ) 72.160.15.230

RJ & Charles, I'm going to Namibia in a few weeks. I know that the expenses of shipping keeps me from actually making money. What I was trying to decide is if selling a cape might help defray expenses a bit. If I understand correctly, since I'm going to be paying for the dip pack anyway, I might as well take the cape. It will be of some value to someone here when I get home. I shouldn't be shooting and animal and think that I'm going to make money... that wasn't my intention.

acording to RJ

This response submitted by * on 7/28/06 at 7:18 PM. ( ) 66.112.58.53

They don't dip and pack, they just crate and ship
Expect to pay about 500 to 600 for a hundred pound crate.
Plus your broker costs, you'll come in just under a thousand

Neil

This response submitted by Ron on 7/28/06 at 9:45 PM. ( ) 12.181.15.102

I agree with whats been said. Salted capes are not worth much, but I think you will be lucky to get buy with a 1000 bucks, will probably be closer to two by the time you get them back. Also. mark your horns and such and let them see you do it so you know if it is yours when you get them back. We have had trouble with this latley. I know for a fact they switched my wart hogs lower teeth. Not even close to the originals. The top tusk are the right ones I know because they were huge. No real big deal with the lowers but still pisses me off. AFrica shipping and dipping crap is a rip off and a scam. You will be told a much lower price than you will actually have to pay, but dang is it fun. Just wish they would be honest up front with what it will cost. Good luck.

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 7/28/06 at 9:52 PM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 66.190.240.176

*, I dont know who peed in your cheerios but , the information you are trying to pawn off on these people is WRONG.
I have a 625 lb crate that will be here monday that was $1800. just for the shipping.

I guese that is what you would expect from someone that doesnt leave a name on the post when he is insinuating someone else is wrong.

I am a full time taxidermist & I do alot of african safaries per year & also I have been to Africa & hunted about 6 different places in 2002 & 2004 & on top of that I taught taxidermy in Africa while I was there.

I work with US Fish & Wildlife & USDA on a daily bases, I do not pass on bad information to people, Call anyone that has dealt with me before.
I have arranged SEVERAL hunts for other taxidermists that went to Africa & hunted & have never had one complaint of giving them false info or outright lying to them about what to expect .

If you have ANY disbeliefs of what I am saying Call Hunter International & ask them what a crate averages to be sent to our country. Heck call Coppersmith or Heckny brokerage or what the heck call Fauna & Flora.
You can find phone # for all of these reputable brokerages on the net.

Now * you can take a flying leap or crawl back under the rock your looking out from under.

Neal,
You will have a great time over there & you should get ahold of one of the above brokers before you go so you can furnish your PH with the propper shipping documents.

If you cant find their # just call me & I will give them to you.

RJ Simington
Klamath Falls Oregon
541 883 2492

I see what you mean *

This response submitted by Bill @ Hog Heaven on 7/29/06 at 12:16 PM. ( ) 24.59.215.89

about the psuedonym. The info you emailed will NEVER go any further !

Yep

This response submitted by * on 7/31/06 at 4:12 AM. ( ) 207.118.255.139

RJ knows everything, I Guess me don't no nuffin' ...My 35+ years compared to RJ'S ?
Yep RJ rules the rest just drool.
LOL
In my post I simply replied that he had stated in a previous post that they don't dip skins in africa at all they just pack and ship salted hides,he has been there and seen it!... and he gets so defensive, you know what they say about that don't you.
BTW been on 7 safari's in the last 15 years, hunted and killed 59 African SCI book animals. I mount plenty of safari's the one we are finishing this week came out of "Sandhurst". Three lions attacking a lifelife gemsbok, lifesize zebra, lifesize nyala, caracal, jackal. 21 shoulder mounts, 2 kudu, 2 eland, lechwe, 2 springboks,2 impala, blk beeste, blue beeste,waterbuck,2 zebra, giraffe, ect,and that's just ONE client, total bill $45,000.00 and that took us just three weeks. I have mounted more than 2,000 african mounts myself alone not including my other taxidermists working with me.
RJ you don't know everything. I do more african mounts in a year than most taxidermists here do North American in a year, with a few exceptions.
There are "GOOD" cheaper shipping companies and brokers that will clear a shiment for 200 to 250. Dip and Pack companies vary greatly in price and crating and paperwork charges. I have dealt with dozens and some are way overpriced and ones that charge 1/2 what other charge for the same service, If a hunter does not set up a dip pack before he leaves then he's at his PH's and local companies mercy and can be taken advantage of because he has to use what he is told to use by his PH.
RJ if you want to get into a p*ssing contest bring an umbrella
The guy is going on a namibia bowhunt, not a buff or high number gun hunt, he'll maybe have 5 to 6 trophies maybe one large animal like a kudu or zebra maybe a gemsbok light skins, the rest will be a warthog springbok and diuker or steinbok small trophies(most likely) ,not heavy salted buff or eland hides,the crate will go more than 100lbs but I would bet not more than 200lbs.
Definetly not the 650 lb crate like you describe that is going to cost him 1800 in shipping from the company you use. Read his post again, but you won't you'll just get all fired up and spout off agian, your good at that.
I stated 500 to 600 for a 100 to 200 lbs crate. I'm not wrong I just know of better shipping companies, I just saved one of my clients $500 by having my shipper pick up a crate at the airport that has already to go with another company took it right out of there terminal did an hour paperwork to get out of country, did the entire transfer over the phone in Africa and in ten minutes. Crate left next day. Done deal instead of $989 he paid $498.
Now let's see RJ rant some more.

multiple clients per crate

This response submitted by Rich Reinert on 8/5/06 at 1:21 PM. ( ) 155.91.45.231

Having just returned from RSA in early July, four of us bowhunted plains game. Between all of us there is about 19 trophies (3 Kudu, 4 Warthog, 2 Gemsbok, 3 Blue Wildebeest, 1 duiker, 1 Nyala(full skin), 1 waterbuck, 1 hartebeest, 1 impala, 1 jackal, an odd kudu horn and possibly a monkey skull. Most were caped with backskin included. The Nyala was skinned for lifesize. Our PH exclusively uses Highveld Taxidermy in Erasmia, RSA. I visited there facility prior to the hunt and they were very well organized, had about 40 people working and the quality looked pretty good. We are choosing to have them dip and pack our trophies. Their services include crating and shipping to Fauna and Flora in NY, via sealed ocean-going freight containers below the deck.

It is my impression that they will put all of our dipped salted skins,skulls & horns into a single crate and that each piece will be tagged to who owns it and accompanied by the appropriate paperwork. Is this going to present any problem when they are being cleared through USDA and Customs?

I also think their dipping charges are excessive. Highveld charges a fixed amount per skull, per cape and per backskin which varies depending on the species. As an example, my Kudu skull: $81, Cape: $41, Backskin: $41 = $163 TOTAL. That does not include permits, crating and shipping!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu