tumbler motor and gear reducer

Submitted by Ron on 7/29/06 at 8:48 PM. ( ) 12.181.15.101

I have a friend that wants to build me a tumbler but is not sure what motor will work or how to reduce the RPM's. Is there a motor or gear reduction system available for this I could buy, if so anybody know where I can get what I need. The drum he is using will be a 50 gallon plasic drum. He is not charging me for this because he just likes to tinker, but I want to make it as easy as possible so he wont give up on it. Hey, it beats spending 700 bucks!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I made a pig roaster once...

This response submitted by Craig on 7/29/06 at 9:13 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

using a 1700 RPM motor and just used two different sized bike sprockets. A small one about 2 inches in diameter on the motor end and a pedal sprocket on the spit shaft end. It slowed it down to about 8 revolutions a minute which worked great for bar-b-queing a pig.

You can also purchase a gear reducing motor or a gear box that is run by a higher RPM motor. Try Graingers. I'll warn you, they are pricey.

use different sized pulleys

This response submitted by blake wilson on 7/30/06 at 12:01 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.66

use a pulley at the tumbler that is say 6 inches in diameter and a pulley at the motor that is 3 inches.use a automotive belt between the two.try and keep the pulley at the motor 1/2 the diameter of the pulley at the barrell(this will reduce your rpms if needed and helo the motor out.i have a Van Dykes tumbler and it had a 30 gallon barrell but the frame would allow for the upsize to a 50.a few months ago i upsized and the motor wouldnt turn it.the motor was inline or direct drive originally.a engineer buddy of mine gave me the info about the pulleys and said to move the motor down underneath.same motor and it works fine.i had to monkey around with the motor placement and belt to get a snug fit to keep it from slipping but its going strong.good luck

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu