First Competition

Submitted by Frank on 1/6/01. ( ) 154.20.93.124

I am planning on entering my first competition this year. I have been
in to taxidermy for almost 10 years now.
My question is, how acurate must I be in the genital area of
my full size mount?
Will I lose points for just 'sewing it up' or should I strive
to put all the detail in?
I am guessing that area is skipped over and not judged but I want
to be sure so I don't lose points.
Thank you to anyone that can help.

Return to Category Menu

You guess wrong.

This response submitted by John C on 1/6/01. ( ) 208.44.115.61

A real good friend had a coon hit realy hard in a show, because the vaginal opening was not done correctly in the judges view. Even with photos that proved the judge was wrong the judge still would not budge.

Everything gets looked at, really close be some Judges, right Yoxy? JOhn C

ROFLMAO! Hee Hee :-)

This response submitted by Lorrie on 1/6/01. ( Lorro1969@aol.com ) 205.188.209.73

Frank that is a totally awesome question! Strange for me, but I hadn't considered that "aspect" yet. I am sure that it would have come up eventually though! Shushhhh! It is strange that the judge would not be swayed by the reference photos.

This is a serious question now soooo...

Is it up to the individual person and their own photos, or are there chapter's in books and segments in videos that cover this, sensitive, issue?

P.S. Yoxer you HOUND you! Imagine!

Genitals

This response submitted by George on 1/6/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.97.12

I did a skunk mount for my state show a few years back and took a fatal flaw because the animal didn't have testicles. You should have seen the judge when I explained that the skunk was a female and I just could see transplanting some on it for the show.

Stop now! Im crying as I am ROFLMAO!

This response submitted by Lorrie on 1/6/01. ( Then what happened? ) 205.188.209.73

George, seriously, what happened after you pointed out the truth? Was the decision changed and points awarded? That must have been HYSTERICAL! I sure wish I could have been there to see that! Too funny!

I am being serious, is this topic addressed in instructional material, or is everyone left to figure it out for themselves?

Serious

This response submitted by Frank on 1/7/01. ( ) 154.20.93.41

Could someone with knowledge in this area please respond?
I don't think this topic has been covered yet.

IF......

This response submitted by Paul B on 1/7/01. ( taxidermst@att.net ) 12.87.108.233

the competition piece is done in a way where the judge can see the parts in question with a light or mirror (little dental type)or feel it with his/her fingers, then you better have it as correct as possible otherwise you will lose valuable points.This goes with any competion piece,fish,mammal or bird. I am not realy sure about bird privates, but I'm sure Pat R. is. lol

Paul B aka Pescado

OK

This response submitted by Frank on 1/7/01. ( ) 154.20.93.41

Can anyone help with the genital area of a full size W.T. mount?
Does anyone know of any articles covering that aspect or where one might get more information on it?

Frank it was covered several times, duh.

This response submitted by John C on 1/7/01. ( ) 208.44.115.51

SInce you dont have a reference on hand go to a slaughter house or goat farm and look, take pics.

You are asking people to hand walk you through it which would be fine in most cases, but your going to run with what or however it comes out, to a show. If you screw it up, you are gonna say "Well I was told by so-so on the net to do it this way!"

So I am sure most of the old timer here will agree, go get you some reference pics, then wad up a couple (pun intended)balls of clay and make something for the deer like a cigar for a penis, you have the skin play (punned him again)with it and see what you need to do.

Dont depend on a article that cover 4 or 5 pages to give you all you need to know.

If all else fails call John Belluci I will just bet he can SELL YOU some PHOTOS! Sweet dreams John C

Buck or Doe

This response submitted by Paul B on 1/7/01. ( taxidermst@att.net ) 12.87.109.75

What are you mounting? John could have added one more pun " since you don't have reference IN HAND" lol. OK enough of that. I could send you a photo of a small doe's hind end , but I would bet your doing a buck. I have a friend who has a pretty friendly buck and he has some good photo's of him with his buckhood hanging. Now as far as testicles go, I save them for an Asian friend and from what I see they are similar in size to a golf ball if you took it and rolled it to elongate it slighty, X's two of coarse.

Hope I was able to help,
Paul

Just to set the record straight...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/8/01. ( ) 205.188.208.171

I was not the judge that JC was referring to. Ill bet he wishes it WAS me, though, you bugger! If you wanna play with the big boys, mount them accurate...all of them. Cats have genetillia thats close to the vent, other animals have thier own characteristics, you just have to learn. You wont be able to mount those particular areas based on forum posts. Get a carcass and make notes. Balls are side by side, etc. Its all there for the looking. Theres a place on the scoresheet for it, too. Good luck. You guys ARE bad, ya know!

Thanks for the FOREsight!

This response submitted by Ken Doll on 1/8/01. ( Moundated in the rule books?;) ) 64.12.96.105

It is true, that it is all there for the "CASUAL OBSERVER!" However, if by chance it is not... remember... Beauty IS all in the eye of the beholder!

Please be generous with your measurements. Score is being kept.

Another thought... Is this a bad time of year to be "Reference Scoping" BUCKS? I heard they sometimes get rather ornery?

Maybe I'll keep ya posted! ;-)

But Paul, just in case... How much are you asking per photo? LOL!

playdeer reference photos

This response submitted by Leanna on 1/8/01. ( ) 209.98.65.65

If you cant come up with ref photos of the particular area of the animal in question...check to see if you have one of those Wild Animal Parks near you. The whitetail and other animals are usually overly tame..be careful.. may even let you, well, get close to them for a pic, although moms with small children may grab their kids move swiftly away from you while giving you a "similar" reference symbol with their hand. Reference IS out there just, hard to come by sometimes.

hmmmm...

This response submitted by Leanna on 1/8/01. ( ) 209.98.65.65

And pun NOT intended in that last one!

GOOD ONE LEANNA!

This response submitted by PB on 1/8/01. ( mr.trout@att.net ) 12.87.108.43

even if it was unintentional

Paul

No it was not Yox.

This response submitted by John C on 1/8/01. ( ) 208.44.115.34

No Yox realizies some of us are just plain dumb. But it was not Yox. Cyaaas JC

Drat!

This response submitted by Barbie on 1/8/01. ( WhoDat?.complicated ) 152.163.188.71

Better luck next time Yoxer! I guess.................

Just funnin' ya!

Lorrie, aka Ken Doll

P.S. Say "Hi" to that Abner prospect for me, will ya?

thanks for your posts

This response submitted by appreciator on 1/10/01. ( ) 216.69.209.132

It didn't seem like Frank was going to say it so I thought I would since I learned something also. Thanks again

Return to Category Menu