Human subjects.

Submitted by Sharon on 4/9/02. ( so_wiseapple@hotmail.com ) 212.24.66.227

I am a playwright currently researching taxidermy for a future production. I appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or know the answers to the following questions:

What is the law on human subjects? (Is it enforced by Government or industry etc)
Is restoring humans possible?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Funeral Homes

This response submitted by Rick Carter on 4/9/02. ( WASCO ) 205.188.208.7

State and federal law rules the "preservation" as far as methods, burial time and handling of bodies. Taxidermists are not trained or legally permitted to perform embalming procedures. I hope your production portrays our industry in a positive manner. We are very weary of the "Norman Bates" image, which is innacurate and undeserved. We would be thrilled to have you attend the National Taxidermists convention in Columbia,Mo. this summer. There you can see the real artistry of our industry first hand. You will find some intellegent, educated, Salt of the earth people who are active in their community and proud of their profession.

Body casting

This response submitted by cur on 4/9/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.90

While taxidermists are not, as Rick stated above, morticians by any stretch of the imagination, there are some who do make very realistic replicas of humans by the mold and cast process.

It is more than possible to preserve human remains, in fact it has been done by a multitude of individuals and artisans for centuries. The medical community has developed a new process called plastination which will preserve human remains very well. The originator of the process has a large show of preserved humans traveling the European gallery circuit at this time. I believe it is currently in the London Tate gallery. At least it was last month.

I suppose for the proper reasons, such as medical research or new technique development, cadavers could be obtained for the purpose. Just recently I read an abstract about several scientists preserving a cadaver by using ancient Egyptian procedures. To the best of my knowledge, the individuals were paleoanthropoligists and not medical doctors. The privilege exists if certain pre-conditions are met. I hear from a colleague at a large medical college that there is currently a glut of cadavers - more available than are needed. I personally am not interested. I haven't whacked on a human since gross anatomy classes. I see nothing wrong with doing one, though, if you would be interested.

Body Casting

This response submitted by Peter J. Ocello on 4/10/02. ( ocello@cvm.msu.edu ) 35.8.213.113

Both responses by Rick Carter and "Cur" are accurate regarding Human cadavers. Each State has there own Willed Body Program which is generally associated with the Colleges of Human and Osteopathic Medicine. I suggest that you speak with someone in the program, in your State about the aquisition of Human material. The limiting problem you will have is displaying a Human Cadaver as "Art". Those people who have selflessly doanted their body have done so ONLY for Medical Education.

Plastination invented by Dr. Von Hagens in the early 1970"s and then Silyophilization, in the 1990's were developed to minimize exposure to Formalin, the traditional embalming fixative, and in the Veterinary area, to minimize animal use and produce accurate, safe, durable anatomical models. Silyophilization, on the other hand has impacted the Veterinary area and I am currently devoloping its use in the Taxidermy area. I am a Taxidermist and Anatomical Preparator, Anatomist, and Inventor, so If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to contact me.
Pete

Are There and Curruent U.S. Examples of Human Taxidermy?

This response submitted by Alan Blake on 6/29/02. ( ) 216.126.190.136

I am a writer currently doing research on the subject of Human Taxidermy, and I need some help.

My question is not whether it is technically possible (or legal) to perform, human taxidermy (as discussed above), but simply whether this practice has been or is currently being done anywhere here in the U.S. In other words, are there any actual, contemporary, non-criminal examples of individuals who, for whatever strange emotional reasons, did in fact preserve a loved one's corpse through conventional or freeze-dried Taxidermy?

Ity is clear that among numerous groups within our culture, many are moving increasingly toward the anthropomorphizing of common house pets, referring to them as "loved ones", elevating their position as a "family member" almost to human status - and accordingly, pet taxidermy, while still uncommon, has become an increasing phenomenon, not hard to find on the internet. Therefore, bizarre as it may now seem, it would not surprise me if somehow, someplace in the country, some "unique" individual might have, or might soon, have this proceure performed on a loved one, or might order that it be done on him(her)self at death.

So, does anyone have any knowledge of any examples here in the U.S., or if not here, perhaps in Europe?

Alan Blake

Are There and Curruent U.S. Examples of Human Taxidermy?

This response submitted by Alan Blake on 6/29/02. ( ) 216.126.190.136

I am a writer currently doing research on the subject of Human Taxidermy, and I need some help.

My question is not whether it is technically possible (or legal) to perform, human taxidermy (as discussed above), but simply whether this practice has been or is currently being done anywhere here in the U.S. In other words, are there any actual, contemporary, non-criminal examples of individuals who, for whatever strange emotional reasons, did in fact preserve a loved one's corpse through conventional or freeze-dried Taxidermy?

Ity is clear that among numerous groups within our culture, many are moving increasingly toward the anthropomorphizing of common house pets, referring to them as "loved ones", elevating their position as a "family member" almost to human status - and accordingly, pet taxidermy, while still uncommon, has become an increasing phenomenon, not hard to find on the internet. Therefore, bizarre as it may now seem, it would not surprise me if somehow, someplace in the country, some "unique" individual might have, or might soon, have this proceure performed on a loved one, or might order that it be done on him(her)self at death.

So, does anyone have any knowledge of any examples here in the U.S., or if not here, perhaps in Europe?

Alan Blake

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu