THYLACINE REPRODUCTION ! Anyone

Submitted by CEM on 09/21/2002. ( ) 24.225.8.184

Has anyone doing museum work recreated the Tasmanian Thylacine, with taxidermy procedures and are there any intresting websites out there featuring recreations of species from the past using taxidermy procedures ? Thanks people

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Tassie tiger (Thylacine)

This response submitted by Craig on 09/21/2002. ( moderntaxidermy@bigpond.com.au ) 144.138.69.157

I personally havent done a tassie tiger but the thougth had crossed my mind.I have heard of taxidermist useing a dingo to make one and air brushing the stripes.

Dingo?

This response submitted by cur on 09/21/2002. ( wildart ) 64.196.208.34

That would have to be one deformed dingo or one seriously wrong Thylacine. The general morphology of the two are not the same and the fur texture and arrangement vary considerably. I would think that the conversion would be very difficult, at best. Color too may be a problem. The Thylacine's coat varied from a tawny color to gray, and I am not sure if it was male/female variant. The skulls were not the same, either, one being a canid, the other a marsupial. I guess that one must begin at some point, however. I did one once, but it was a sculpture, and not a faux taxidermy piece.

I couldn't tell you where to begin, but I wouldn't start with a dingo.

Tassie tiger

This response submitted by Craig on 09/22/2002. ( ) 144.138.70.189

Cur you may be right refrence the difference.but if you can think of another animal here in Australia that even resembles a tiger your a better man than me.also i dont know how many dingos you have seen but they vary so much in colour and shape(also domestic dog crosses).I personally come from tasmania and am pretty familiar with the animal even to seeing skins and mounts of the animal and also having a grandfather taking a few in the early 20s.As you said in regards to skulls yes they are totally different but with a modified form to suit and a lot of work i think it could be done size wise they are similar the fur is close on some dogs, as for the colour and as i said air brushing or dying the stripes is possable.but the moral of the story is i suppose you can try as matter in fact it gives me more incentive to try one.

I have thought of doing it!

This response submitted by Steve on 10/02/2002. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.1

I would like to see any attempt, as I have thought of doing a Thylacine as well as other exctinct critters. Good luck with the dingo, and maybe it will work as a facsimile.

Tassie Tiger "replicas" at the Cascade Museum, Hobart

This response submitted by Art Vaughan on 11/16/2002. ( asv@attbi.com ) 24.147.227.7

There are presently two replica Thylacines on display in the Cascade Brewery Museum in Hobart. They were created for Cascade by folks at the Queen Victoria Museum & Art Gallery, Launceston, Tas. A friend sent me two photos he took of this pair. I heard somewhere that the cost was somewhere near AU$6,000, but would cost three times that to produce them now (inflation?). They look a bit "rough" in the two pics, but not too bad considering they were scratch built. Mention is made in the book "Cascade: A Taste of History", by Mike Bingham, (Cascade Brewery Co. 1992) that artificial fur was used in the construction. Looking at the close up photo, I couldn't tell if the stripes were airbrushed, or made using darker "fur". If you're curious, I can e-mail the pics.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu