Fly eggs...eewwwwwww

Submitted by Big daddy on 09/19/2002. ( ) 206.157.148.85

Thought i was safe from flys but guess what...NOT
I found several eggs in the edge of the lips on a squirrel..my first.
I raked them all out, I think, is there any way to make sure they are all gone or at least killed... slight freezing maybe?
The squirrel was mounted yesterday.
Thanks

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Spray bug killer in a garbage bag........

This response submitted by Shovelhead on 09/19/2002. ( ) 24.24.44.122

...place squirrel in bag......it kills bugs dead!

well

This response submitted by cur on 09/19/2002. ( wildart ) 64.196.208.140

Freezing may kill the eggs, as well as spraying, or simply by brushing with acetone, but you need to ask yourself why the flies decided that your mount was possible food for their larvae.

Flies land on any surface available and test for egg laying matter with special olfactory devices located in their feet. When conditions are satisfactory, they deposit eggs on the surface of choice. I should imagine that your mount "smelled" good to the flies for some reason or another, or there is residual material on the hide that is attractive to them.

You can use a hair dryer on the bare skin surfaces to accellerate the drying process but I suspect some tissue matter or oils remain on the hide that acted as an invitation to the pests.

Borax, anyone

This response submitted by George on 09/19/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.106

If you fleshed it sufficiently and powdered it down with DP or straight borax, you'll be very unlikely to have fly problems.

Thanks Guys

This response submitted by Big Daddy on 09/19/2002. ( ) 206.157.148.169

Thanks guys,
This was my first squirrel and I think the problem might have been that the lips were still a little thick and maybe held more moisture than I thought. I boraxed it really good, but I am noticing that lips might have to be shaved down pretty thin. Am I correct on this thinking? I will definintely heed everyones advice on the next one for sure. Shovelhead, are you saying any type of bug killer, like Raid for whatever, waspers, hornets, roaches...just any kind?
Thanks alot guys

You got it.

This response submitted by George on 09/20/2002. ( ) 152.163.189.136

I usually finish fleshing squirrel lips on my bird wire wheel. You should be able to see through them almost. Bet that's where your problem was. Make sure you do the same to the nose and eyebrows.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu