Skinning the raccoon...done. Now what?

Submitted by Genoa on 10/20/2002. ( mountaingirl83@earthlink.net ) 165.247.209.45

Last night I found a raccoon by the side of the road that had just been hit. I decided to take it home and skin it just to see if I could. With the help of a friend over the phone I was able to take off the skin in one piece. yay. Now it is streched and pinned on a sheet of plywood. How do I treat it? Also, there is still some bone in the tail, what do I do about that? Is leaving it ok?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Wow!

This response submitted by Raven on 10/20/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

Im not into treating skins yet - Im more a reproduction guy.. but yer fighting the clock now so Ill try and help out until someone else can give ya more details.

First of all - click on the 'search' button to the left and plug in search information to answer your questions. That should always be step one. Step 2.. no it is certainly not ok to keep bone in the tail, ya gotta get that out. Along with the bone there will be meat and fat etc. which is one of your worst enenmies for a quality mount. If you can get the bones out - DO IT! Make sure you have scraped off as much meat and fat from the hide as you can. Rub a lot of salt over the skinned surface - this will extract water and help preserve the hide until it can be properly treated. You can also throw the whole thing in the freezer - this is probably your best bet until sum1 lese can help ya out, as even if you salt it - there will still probably be a lot of work for you on the tail. Get it off the board and into your freezer, the longer it sits out raw the more its going to decompose thus weaking your skin. Get it frozen and check back often for help from others. Just tryin to buy you sum time =)

Raccoon

This response submitted by Coyote on 10/20/2002. ( mrathnow@comcast.net ) 68.42.185.174

Genoa;
First of all you have to scrape all the fat off the hide.And believe me, I know for a fact there's a lot of fat on a coon.You need to split the lips, eye's, and turn the ears. Now you can salt it.You need to use non-iodized salt for this. salt the hide heavily and fold the skin, fur side out. And put it on a board, which is up on an angle so the moisture can run off. This needs to be done for 24 hrs. After that, shake off the salt. Now is the time I do a second scraping of the hide to get off all the rest of the fat and membrane. Your going to need to salt it one more time now. Leave the salt on until the hide is hard. Now your ready to tan the hide. But thats a different story, and I'm not going to go through all that here. Good luck with your coon.

Coyote

Raccoon

This response submitted by Coyote on 10/20/2002. ( mrathnow@comcast.net ) 68.42.185.174

Genoa;
split the tail and remove all of the bone. It can be sewn up later.

Coyote

some help

This response submitted by dave on 10/20/2002. ( ) 205.174.22.22

first off, split the tail, it is possible to get the bone out without, but you also have to flesh it. luckly, a racoon is a car wash friendly animal. after you get the tail split, take it to a car wash and spray the flesh out of it. I know it sounds weird, but it works. dont try to spray out the face, do that with a sharp knife, and take your time. after you get the meat out, its time to salt it and tan it. check the archives, lots of info on this process. good luck

Thank you

This response submitted by Genoa on 10/20/2002. ( ) 165.247.220.72

I just wanted to thank all of you for your quick response and for helping me out. The tail is now completely out of the critter, and the flies are going mad. I pinned the skin of the tail to the board for the yellow jackets to clean while I went to go get some sail. Any idea if a larger or smaller grain salt would work better? Thanks again.

Also

This response submitted by Genoa on 10/20/2002. ( ) 165.247.205.92

What would be a good tool for scraping? It really dosen't look like there is any meat or fat on the skin right now, 'cept maybe a bit on the tail.(I only took off the skin to the neck, so I don't have to worry about the face)

Also

This response submitted by Genoa on 10/20/2002. ( ) 165.247.205.92

What would be a good tool for scraping? It really dosen't look like there is any meat or fat on the skin right now, 'cept maybe a bit on the tail.(I only took off the skin to the neck, so I don't have to worry about the face)

Genoa

Genoa;
Buy the fine grain salt. You can purchase at most feed stores, or order it from the catalogs. But shipping will kill you. So if you have a feed store somewhere near you purchase it there.

Coyote

Thanks Coyote

This response submitted by Genoa on 10/20/2002. ( ) 165.247.200.18

Where would you recommend I look to find how to tan a hide on the net? Do you know of any good sites offhand?

coon tanning

This response submitted by cp on 10/21/2002. ( ) 205.208.167.242

Search the archives on this site there should be somthing here.

SKINNED COON

This response submitted by LEROY on 12/03/2002. ( ) 163.6.254.139

IF I SKIN A COON AND LEAVE THE FAT ON, BUT SALT AND FREEZE. WILL IT BE OK FOR LATER IF I PLAN ON SENDING THE HIDE TO A TAXIDERMISTS?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu