wet tanned skin

Submitted by rick on 11/13/2002. ( newbirdman ) 205.188.208.106

I have a customer who is buying a wet tanned lifesize hide from someone and wants me to make an open mouth rug with it . Since I have never worked with a wet tan before , does this have to be sent back to the tannery to have them prep it for a rug mount or can I just dry it myself ? It was originally for a life size mount which is why it was wet tanned . newbirdman@aol.com

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

same thing

This response submitted by Patrick on 11/13/2002. ( pr338@hotmail.com ) 24.51.229.141

Wet tan is the same thing as a dry tan the tannery just does not dry it and sends it back wet.Don't need to rehydrate.Prep just like you would a dry tanned skin that you rehyreated.Hope this helped.
Patrick

Ask the tannery

This response submitted by George on 11/14/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.13

I don't think they ARE the same, but different tanneries use different procedures as well as types of oil. A rug is usually made from a hide that is broken and the tannery I use doesn't break wet tanned hides. That means it will dry stiff when you mount it if you used the tannery I use.

Ask the tannery

This response submitted by George on 11/14/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.13

I don't think they ARE the same, but different tanneries use different procedures as well as types of oil. A rug is usually made from a hide that is broken and the tannery I use doesn't break wet tanned hides. That means it will dry stiff when you mount it if you used the tannery I use.

George is correct

This response submitted by wetnwild on 11/14/2002. ( voyer1@aol.com ) 205.188.209.13

i got a nice wet tanned mountain lion last year for a full body mount. After it was all mounted and dried, it dried very stif and hard. Same thing witha wet tanned baboon i did. It dries very quickly. Some tanneries may do it differently, but my experience has been the same as george!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu