Alcohol/Turpentine what?

Submitted by SeaBass on 12/08/2003. ( )

Ok, all have been very helpful providing advice about preserving squirrel hides for mounting. I have two hides, soaking in alcohol/turpentine, rather dry and shrivelled looking. apparently, they should now be rehydrated in borax and water....what will that do? does it acually preserve them? so, now can i mount the squirrel on a mannakin with just DP (borax)? Any input would be appreciated. thanks to all who already gave suggestions.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

This response submitted by Old Man on 12/08/2003. ( )

Never did it that way? I simply skin,fleash,borax and mount. I have a couple of Squirrels that are 50 yrs old and still look good. I would rehydrate in water,towel dry,borax and then mount. Borax is not a tanning agent it simply makes rawhide. Never confuse the two or someone will tear you a new A--hole on this sight!

God bless.

How long do I rehydrate?

This response submitted by SeaBass on 12/08/2003. ( )

Yes, I have seen many a new a-hole torn over issues such as that. How long should I rehydrate the squirrel for? and just plain water or should i add something to it? Thanks for the advice, Old man:)

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/08/2003. ( )

Borax is a drying agent and a bug proofer. You will need to rehydrate only for a short time before the skin is quite workable. Squirrel skins are quite tough and that helps. With anything that is finer skinned it may be wise to let it go a bit longer, but I would keep a close watch on it. Any surfactant(detergent)added to your solution will help in the rehydration.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu