pics of my first mount-please critique

Submitted by gunner on 04/01/2004 at 23:04. ( ) 207.192.204.233

This was my first attempt at taxidermy, almost all the educational information I found in the archives of these forums. I'm posting the pics here, because of the no BS critiques I can receive. I figure the will only help in the future. I chose to mount this bobcat after I found it roadkilled at the entrance to my work, luckily it was below freezing that morning. I used the saftee tan, and it seemed to work well. The ears trouble me, as I used the earliners, but they don't look pointy enough to me. All feedback is appreciated, truly enjoyed doing this. I am now contemplating using my GI Bill to attend the Poconos Taxidermy Institute, any feedback on that would also be appreciated. thanks for your time.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Where do we look?

This response submitted by wetnwild on 04/02/2004 at 07:21. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Forgot to put a link in so we can see it!

forgot the link to pics

This response submitted by gunner on 04/01/2004 at 23:06. ( ) 207.192.204.233

here is the link
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=128494

o.k here it goes

This response submitted by Orion on 04/02/2004 at 08:16. ( orionshunting@msn.com ) 4.63.119.66

first off it seems like that you used alot of filler for the eyes.looks as if you had alot of shrinkage around the area.
second- the eyelids are uneven. one eye looks as if its afraid (left eye). then the other eye (right eye) seems that its in a angry setting.
third- the pupils on your specie need to be a bit slanted in.
fourth- the ears looks like its facing forward to much. try turning it outwards a tad bit.
fifth- one ear is higher than the other. (ear bases)
but sInse this is your first mount its not to bad. remember to never throw it away. because when you become better someday you can always look back at it and say WHOA!

What I see

This response submitted by Jim on 04/02/2004 at 08:02. ( ) 204.211.171.11

First off, it is a good mount for your first time. However, I see a couple things that need improvement.

1. Ears are too low on skull. The ears on a cat are set higher up on top of the head

2. Nose/mouth look a little crooked....its hard to really tell from the photo

3. Hair looks a little messy...grooming should help

Like I said...overall a good first mount. Read all you can a make sure to look at reference while mounting and your work will look a whole lot better....you'll even amaze yourself. Good Luck

thanks

This response submitted by gunner on 04/02/2004 at 10:03. ( ) 207.192.204.233

thak you all for the constructive criticism, I knew some things were not quite right, but I knew someone would be able to pick out the details, and tell me things I didn't notice. I'm pretty excited to have mounted it, so I knew I was wanting it to be better than it was. Thanks again

Stay excited, but never satisfied!

This response submitted by Bruce Anderson on 04/02/2004 at 13:26. ( ) 216.97.184.196

Gunner,
I would not consider telling you the things wrong with your first attempt at taxidermy. Just be excited that you accomplished it.
Learn something from every piece that you do, always using reference. Nothing beats practice and experience. It's good that you will open your first attempt to criticism. Never be satisfied with the things you do, always thinking that it could be better. Learn what you can from the pros, and after a period of time you will have the mechanics down and then can really concentrate on the fine details. Remember it doesn't take long to learn to ride a bicycle, but it takes a while to learn to do tricks on one.

look at the reference

This response submitted by Gary W on 04/03/2004 at 09:43. ( sunrisetaxidermy@aol.com ) 24.6.31.9

Gunner:

Overall not a bad mount for your first time.

Like everyone always says "look at your reference"

Get as much reference as you can and study everything from shape to hair patterns. And study it from multiple angles. Cats are tough to do and it alll lies in the face.

Keep going and you will get better.

My first to! Look in ""wildlife art"

This response submitted by David Jarvis on 04/03/2004 at 10:14. ( djarvis@nbnet.nb.ca ) 142.166.201.10

http://community.webshots.com/user/djarvis49

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu