Hair Loss Problem

Submitted by Scott Walburn on 04/04/2004 at 11:09. ( jwalburn@epix.net ) 209.74.16.68

I have noticed missing hair on some of my mounts. One of these mounts had all of its hair just a few weeks ago. Suddenly a gap developed on the should of the deer. Upon inspection I could see that the hair had been shortened in an area about 1/4" across. The end of each strand of hair appears to have a strange brownish dot at or near the end of it. What could be causing this problem. I had a similiar situtation on the nose of a coyote that looked perfect for months. I have sprayed them with insect spray and did not see any more damage. But this seems to be temporary fix. I also had a questionable condition on a pheasant.It appeard to be the same thing. Can anyone help my get this stopped? And suggest how to prevent future occurances.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Moths

This response submitted by Jack F on 04/04/2004 at 14:24. ( ) 12.152.155.140

Sounds like a bug problem moths maybe I don't know. How was the skins tanned or weren't they? Jack F

try this

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 04/04/2004 at 15:54. ( ) 209.130.218.124

check out "Deer damaged by moths" in Deer category, I threw an answer there that might help you. I guess mentioning the archives goes without saying...

mites

This response submitted by Michelle B on 04/07/2004 at 08:22. ( laurelmt@lhtc.net ) 65.167.183.63

Your mounts may be getting mites also.
I actually had to take an old freeze-dried fawn mount someone else did for a friend and drill the underside and pour "ortho" in it. And in the ears then epoxy the holes shut. He was noticing hair-loss also but he also was seeing saw-dust type stuff on the table it was on. When I checked it out closer there were pencil tip size holes in the skin.
The dark spots on the hair is either bug poop or a lice type nit egg.
Whatever the case, you've got bug problems of some sort. Spray the mounts with a "raid" or something.
Hope you get it taken care of.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu