Value of Elk Horns

Submitted by K. Stovall on 04/03/2004 at 10:51. ( hestovall@hotmail.com ) 168.215.127.126

I ran across a set of elk horns at an estate sale. They are a pretty nice 6x6 about 40" wide. They have a metal tag attatched that says it was taken in 1947 in Washington state with some other info on it. It looks like a state tag but I have no way to tell for sure. The guy says it was his grandfathers and they were mounted but the mount was in such bad shape he removed the horns. I was looking for some horns for a display. The asking price is $300. Does this tag make them any more valuable?
thanks,
Kenny

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

antler value

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 04/04/2004 at 23:54. ( mhoneyATmindspring.com ) 207.69.12.244

KS, Just my opinion, the tag could make the rack more desireable to some people as it carries obvious information but these tags don't in themselves add much value. For some the age of the rack would be a deterant to buying them as they might prefer fresher antlers with better color. There are quite a lot of antique racks around but generaly I would say they bring less money as they often have poor color. Of course a truely huge rack is another matter entirely.--Aaron H.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu