skinning a lynx

Submitted by Cam on 04/18/2004 at 13:11. ( kaos2nyte@hotmail.com ) 161.184.194.122

Hi I'm doing my first Canadian Lynx and wasn't sure how to skin it. It's gonna be a life size standing mount and would to know what inscision would be the best so that I would minimize sewing. Also how do you skin out the paws, do I leave the pads on or do I remove them? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Go to

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 04/18/2004 at 14:15. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 67.200.29.107

hidetanning.net and scroll down to the article by Lonny Travis. He has an article there covering mounting also.

Now there's a conundrum if I ever saw one

This response submitted by George on 04/18/2004 at 14:35. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.69

The easy answer is the dorsal cut, but if you're a crappy seamstress as I am, you want to avoid the possibility of the stitches whorling the hair in such a visible spot.

The least stitch is, of course, the case cut, but with a big footed lynx, that's going to be trouble with a capital "T".

The ventral cut is what I'd choose. I'd cut off all 4 legs using a wedge cut in the foam so they'd lock back in when I glued them back. I'd open the back sides of the lower legs just so I could get the paws out and back in, but I'd leave the sleeves of the legs intact.

This is going to be one of those calls only you can answer.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu