squirrel skeletons

Submitted by chris on 04/22/2004 at 21:19. ( pluginpop@aol.com ) 152.163.252.102

hey everyone here's the deal, i was in the backyard today going to the shed and smelt something raunchy and i followed my nose and found 4 dead squirrels in my pool dead and to make a long story short i was wondering if i could use the macreation thing for this ? or would it just destroy alot of the small bones to badly? thanks, Chris

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

safe

This response submitted by Raven on 04/22/2004 at 22:34. ( ) 24.150.166.254

It will work liek a charm.. almost too well in fact. This is one of the few times that I DON'T recommend maceration to unexperienced people. As maceration will also devour teh connective tissues like cartilige along with the muscle etc... it makes finding homes for the carpals and tarsals (wrist and ankle elemnts) as well as the phalange (toe bones) a real trick. If you don't mind lots of fiddling around, then by all means go ahead and macerate and enjoy your osteological jigsaw puzzle afterwards. If you want something a little tighter - this is agood time to use dermestid beetles.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu