Skinning Lynx paws and ears

Submitted by cam on 07/07/2004 at 18:58. ( kaos2nyte@hotmail.com ) 209.162.162.122

I would like to know how far down the paws of a lynx I should skin? Should I skin them all the way down to the last knuckle before the claw or olny part way and inject with formaldahyde. Also how do I skin out the ears? Do I just turn them and tan or do I have to take the whole cartilage out and then tan? The mount is going to be a lifesize standing possibly lying down not too sure yet....as you all can see I'm fairly new to this and I'm doing this for a favor for a friend of mine.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

formaldayde is out

This response submitted by paul on 07/07/2004 at 20:44. ( ) 68.83.60.41

you will need to skin those individual toes to the last didget connected to the nail remove any meat or tissue completely out of the foot and pad area, forget the formaldahyde its a carcinogen and not necessary for a properly preped skin or anything today. if you want to remove the cartilage from the ears i would do it after your animal is tanned but do turn those ears first.

cat ears

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 07/08/2004 at 00:11. ( mhoney"AT"mindspring"DOT"com ) 207.69.13.120

Cam, On the ears- I would leave cartilage in, turn completly, tan the skin and I use Apoxi-sculpt in the ears. The slower set up time allows time to mount and adjust ears as you choose. Enjoy- Aaron H.

Thanks guys!

This response submitted by cam on 07/09/2004 at 16:10. ( kaos2nyte@hotmail.com ) 161.184.206.175

Thanks guys your help solved a lot of my problems....much appreciated!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu