is "stratification" used in the US for mannikin prep?

Submitted by Dizzy Satch on 07/11/2004 at 09:40. ( dizzysatchATyahoo.com ) 80.201.113.73

I am currently researching different techniques used in preparing mannekins for large mammals and have come across a technique called "stratification", used in the National Museum of Natural History in France. It basically consists of adding a layer of epoxy resin and glass cloth/ fiberglass on top of the polystyrene form until it hardens into a shell, in order to reinforce the structure and ensure its solidity. In some cases, a hole is cut into the side of the hardened shell and the polystyrene is emptied out.

Is this technique unique to France or is it used elsewhere? If so, what is it called? I searched the archives but couldn't find anything.
Thanks for your help!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

resin and glass layup...

This response submitted by J. on 07/11/2004 at 11:34. ( ) 205.188.116.200

Not really sure about the use of it in mannekins,seems like alot of extra work to acheive the same results... but I do know that a similiar operation is used in the making of some of the newer boats and yachts,hope that is of some help to you.

Urethane Foam....

This response submitted by Old Fart on 07/11/2004 at 12:13. ( ) 64.122.137.22

....Is used in the US, not polystyrene. From my limited experience with the different foams I think that the urethane is a much stronger foam, depending on density, of course.

polystyrene and polyurethane

This response submitted by Dizzy Satch on 07/12/2004 at 15:53. ( dizzysatchATyahoo.com ) 149.210-136-217.adsl.skynet.be

The museum taxidermists use a combination of polystyrene and polyurethane foam - polystyrene to create the basic (very rough) structure of the mannikin, essentially to provide the needed volume for large mammals such as rhinos, hippos, etc., then polyurethane foam for the finer details. I gathered that the "shell" is needed because polystyrene is much more fragile and needs reinforcement.
Right now I'm assuming they're the only ones using this technique, until I get a contrary reply. Thanks for the help!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu