Wanted: live baby racoon

Submitted by Melissa on 07/13/2004 at 10:10. ( eeyore.me@earthlink.net ) 192.44.136.113

I would like a baby racoon to bottle fed and raise. I know this is a link for dead ones. If you happen to get a live on could I have it. My children and I would love one and we can not afford to pay 200.00 for one on line. We live in Ohio. If you know anyone around here, please let me know. I don't know what state you are in, but I would appreciate the help.

Thank you

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

WIldlife refuge

This response submitted by Joe V on 07/13/2004 at 11:26. ( ) 63.241.157.113

I know in Pennsylvania the game commission and wildlife refuge organizations will sometime allow a family to adopt a raccoon or other animal whose mother was killed by cars and things. I had two baby raccoons that I found on the side of the road beside their dead mother many years ago. I raised them and had them for a long time until they decided to go back to the wild one night. I keep them out side and not fenced in. I wanted to keep them as wild as possible so they may someday live on their own as was intended. A raccoon is not the best pet and they are ferocious fighters when they need to be! Kids and raccoons are not a great mix. The female I had used to let me hold her once in a while but would still growl and bit me from time to time. They are very wild by nature and not cute and cuddle as they look. Do you and your kids a big favor and buy a nice dog! I would recommend a Boston Terrier! They are the best dogs I ever fell in love with!

Joe V.

Melissa...

This response submitted by Griz on 07/13/2004 at 12:23. ( ) 69.66.85.79

I know a raccoon sounds like a good idea but they have their pitfalls. If they are not handled extensively on a daily basis they will "revert", which means they become wild, they aren't domestic animals you know. And even if you do handle them every day there is still a chance of reverting. Also coons stink more than a dog or cat does, they keep a layer of oil on their skin and hair, coons are somewhat aquatic- they don't live in the water like a mink or muskrat but they love to be near it. Also it is illegal in most states to purchase a coon without a breeders license so you are asking alot of a person to sell you a coon, for all we know you are a government spy looking to catch black market animal traders.lol... Coons aren't meant to be caged up and if you leave them run in your house they will poop everywhere and explore everything...with their teeth and claws. They thrive in trees near water. Also remember coons are not exactly the healthiest critters, especially if you dont but from a breeder. There are many viruses a coon carries that a dog and cat don't carry. And FYI the first coons in ohio have not just been born but are already weaned, although the ones in the south will sometimes raise two broods i think ohio is too far north, you done missed the boat by about 2 1/2 months.

figure it this way...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 07/13/2004 at 17:21. ( ) 209.130.218.227

A lick of common sense will tell anyone that wild animals dont do well in captivity, so lets save our collective (and experienced) breath and just tell her this...in Ohio, theres a ton of propagators that sell coons in all colors, dirt cheap. Theres a paper called the Animal Finders Guide out there, too. Try going to any feed store in rural Ohio and ask, you should find some very nice folks to help you out. But, you were also forewarned! I hope you have a good experience like some of my coons were, rather than some bad ones, also like some of my others were!

Laws

This response submitted by Tom on 07/14/2004 at 00:44. ( ) 207.19.167.250

In Ohio you have to have a propagators permit to keep a wild animal. If you buy one from a licensed propagator with all the right paperwork then you are all right. better call the wildlife officer in your county. I know they frown on keeping wild raccoons because there was a rabies outbreak in eastern ohio few years back they are still dropping vaccinations in bait in the affected areas. They really started cracking down on people. Raccoons make interesting pets I have raised several from kittens they require lots and lots of attention to make them tame enough to be considered "pets". Just be careful especially with children. Also try and get a female the males get a little fiesty during the breeding season (December). And be prepared for them to get into eveything and I mean everything.

SaMaNtHa851983@aol.com

This response submitted by Samantha on 8/6/04 at 12:41 AM. ( SaMaNtHa8151983 ) 64.12.116.137

I am looking for someone to give me some info on how to get a permit for a racoon

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu