are there such things as jackolope

Submitted by belever on 12/14/04 at 1:07 PM. ( ) 205.213.111.54

i saw a rabbit with antlers last week when i was hunting it looked like a jackolope are they even real i dont think they are intill i saw one just looking at me i was gonna shoot it but with my 12gauge and slugs i would blow it up. so it tried to take a picture but it was gone when i looked over all i saw was it running but i am 100% sure i saw one please tell me if you saw one.
and P.S. Im not crazy im just a trapper and hunter like everyone here in this website

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

They have become rare

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/14/04 at 1:12 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

Here in Texas they have become very rare. They only come out during a blue moon when they yodel at it. This is when they are in rut. If you lucky you can watch them then.

They once were plenty, but poacher who were after their trophy antlers almost wiped them out. I think they are protected now but would have to look this up in the regulation book.

Jackalopes, pink elephants and unicorns

This response submitted by cur on 12/14/04 at 1:47 PM. ( ) 4.226.60.3

Dear Believer:

Jackalopes were evolutionary developments that arose during the late Jurrasic period. At first, they had no antlers, but rather had long fangs like the smilodon. The early saber-toothed jackalopes were called Hangafangalopes. As the climate changed and marshes dried up, the jackalopes began bending the fangs while scavaging in the ever harder ground. Eventually the fangs turned upward until the animal evolved into the babirusalope, a strange creature with two large fangs growing from the center of the fore skull.

As eons passed, the upward growing fangs began to resemble antlers by forking and eventually developing into growths that very much resembled eocoileus, the dawn deer. The horns of the jackalope do not shed annually as do those of most of the deer family members, since they are actually grossly modified teeth, and not antlers or horns. Those early forms were termed, wannabeadeerlopes.

Eventually, around 10,000,000 years ago, the wannabeadeerlope group split into to groups. One tier eventually lost all trace of the "horns" and eventually became what we know today as "Jack" rabbits. They were named such because of their long ears which resembled those of a famous frontiersman named, Jack Johnson, "King of the Low Bush Prairie." The Jackalope branch of the lope clan developed strange mating and courtship behaviors around 10,000 years ago which led to their demise.

You see, the male jackalopes began running in circles to display for the females. As time and generations passed, the male jackalopes ran in ever smaller circles to display their prowess. Faster and faster they ran in smaller and smaller circles until all of the males eventually ran up their own rumps and disappeared. Without males to mate with, the female jackalopes died out by 1906. The last captive jackalope died in the Cleveland, OH Zoo in 1917.

Your sighting could not possibly have been a jackalope. It may have been, however, the very rare pronghornalope, which has not been sighted outside a very small region on a New Mexico Apache Reservation. The shy and evasive animals seem to dwell around peyote patches, or are attracted to the sound of gurgling tequila or bourbon.

Now you know the WHOLE story.

here one

This response submitted by shill on 12/14/04 at 3:16 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.132

I think if you get down too the bottom of the tequila you will find one in every bottle

Cur...

This response submitted by Michelle B on 12/14/04 at 5:21 PM. ( laurelmt@lhtc.net ) 65.167.183.57

Cur you need to write childrens books! LOL that story was to cute!

And believer, I also agree you need to lay off the sauce or whatever you're smokin'!

Children's books?

This response submitted by cur on 12/14/04 at 5:58 PM. ( ) 4.226.60.3

See Jane run? Run, run Jane, here comes Cur!

"Believe it or not"

This response submitted by Steve A. on 12/14/04 at 7:12 PM. ( ) 216.129.231.7

I was once out hunting when I was actually attacked by a very large Jack-a-lope. I don't tell this story to everyone, but I'm sure all my brother taxidermists out there will.

I was out hiking through the mountains when I heard this snort behind me. And there he was the biggest damn Jack-a-lope you ever saw. He looked a lot like a rabid bugs bunny with a big rack on his head. I'd bet he'd go around 500 pounds. And then he charged me. I emptied my 30/06 into him but he kept coming. The next thing you know my arm was in his mouth and I could hear bones breaking. Of course all I could do was play dead. After a while he quit chewing on me and I drew out my trusty bowie knife. We must have wrestled around like that for the better part of an hour before I finally stuck him in the gizzard with my trusty bowie. I later hiked home to bandage up my hurt arm. I guess I should have taken a snapshot of him to show you all.....And thanks Cur! (This is truly an educational site) I didn't know they were so rare. I recently saw a large herd of them grazing just outside our local liquor store.

When I lived in South Carolina.

This response submitted by Todd B on 12/14/04 at 9:11 PM. ( ) 4.224.195.97

We were hunting near the swamps of Santee Cooper. I had been walking all day and sat down against a tree. Well I dozed off a bit and when I awoke there was a whole family of sasquatches (bigfoot) and they were walking a jackalope on a leash. I guess they make really good pets.

Todd B

I saw...

This response submitted by Jim on 12/14/04 at 10:20 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.132

an 8 point coyote the other day that will kick your jackalope's _ss!

Papillomavirus

This response submitted by Ron on 12/14/04 at 10:39 PM. ( rktaxi@wbsnet.org ) 67.64.29.206

Actually there is a virus called papillomavirus which can cause horn-like growths on rabbits' heads. I had a guy bring one in last year and it was confirmed by the state. It had growths all over it's head and face

More Papillomavirus

This response submitted by Ron on 12/14/04 at 10:45 PM. ( rktaxi@wbsnet.org ) 67.64.29.206

Here is a link with some pictures of rabbits with the disease.
http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~hollidac/jacksforreal.html

Belever

This response submitted by Tony Spumoni on 12/14/04 at 10:52 PM. ( ) 4.156.243.178

Hey
You needa new dealer. I thinka you gotta some bad Bogger Suger.
Go to Jersey , it was on the news yesterday , Jersey is #1 , it has the best herion in the country. Dealers from all over the country go there to get there product. I don't thinka your dealer gets his there.
Gooda Luck

Laugh all you want but...

This response submitted by Henry A. on 12/14/04 at 11:59 PM. ( ) 24.121.73.86

In Southern Arizona there is an antelope jackrabbit. They are much larger than the average jackrabbit. They have a white rump patch that they flash when they run like our pronghorn antelope. I've seen a few while hunting javelinalope. Oddly enough I've only seen the does. I've also seen lots of pictures of them but once again it seems only the does can be captured on film. NOW, in all truthfulness for the nonbelievers, do a google search on antelope jackrabbit, you will be surprised. Furthermore, I am not sending anyone on a snipealope hunt. Looking forward to more replies.

Papillomotosis

This response submitted by cur on 12/15/04 at 12:02 AM. ( ) 4.253.68.228

The condition to which you refer is called Papillomotosis. It is most common in cottontails, but sometimes in jackrabbits. It is caused by the Shope's papilloma virus which is carried by rabbit ticks, and sometimes mosquitos. It is most common in the midwest and parts of the great plains, but primarily among Silvilagus, the cottontail. The growths begin as surface growths like warts and sometimes become the horn-like growths you mention. The growths reside after a few months in a good portion of the infected bunnies, and in others become carcinomas which lead to death of the infected rabbit. I have never seen a Shope's PV growth with a fork horn or six point, ten inch spread. As there are in "True" jackalopes...LOL

funny crap cur

This response submitted by Todd on 12/15/04 at 11:58 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.227

hard to type with tears in my eyes. I was a guide for 15 years and could come up with some funny stuff about animals, but damn.....

have ya seen the turty pointer

This response submitted by terryr on 12/16/04 at 12:16 AM. ( ) 12.34.180.141

nt

Finally the truth

This response submitted by Hogger on 12/16/04 at 4:31 AM. ( ) 4.7.209.111

Native Americans have long known of the elusive Jackalope. The Blackfoot called him Hockmatti, meaning "Horned Ghost". Jackalopes, long believed extinct once inhabited most of the American northwest as well as Alaska and Canada. A similar creature has a documented history in Siberia and the Bering Strait area. Only one fossil of such a creature has ever been discovered and it was in the Strait. Carbon dating approximated it's exsistance somewhere in the Chromagnun era, 20-30 thousand BC. The fossil was of an adult male that had recently shed it's antlers but still retained the boney structure at the base of the skull. Researchers believe that the origin of the early "lopes" were in Siberia and perhaps the southern reaches of what is now Russia. The theory is that at the time of the great polar ice bridge, then hearding lopes made the treck over to Alaska and eventually down to the upper reaches on the American Northwest. Scientists believe tht Jackalopes simply died off the way many creatures before them have, by simple natural selection. It is believed their design made them biologically incompetant. Scientist, comparing Jackalopes to other modern day antlered animals conclude that the calcium output and nutrient demands put upon the poor creature in order to grow such antlers/ per body weight ratio made their existance in the first place quite a miracle. While the average whitetail has 1-28 antler weight/ body weight ratio, the average Jackalope tended to have something more along the lines of a 1-3 antler weight/ body weight ratio! It is believed that IF the Jackalope did exist today, the fact that it is hardly sighted makes perfect sense. This is because, as scientists believe, that the antlers of a Lope would have to grow from stubs to full size and fall off in an astounding record time of 6 days! Otherwise the long term strain of this process would be the undoing of every male Jackalope the first time he produced antlers. Being that, as far as we know, all other charachteristics of the Lope is nearly identical to that of their close cousin the Jack rabbit, if we saw a Lope today without his antlers, as we would likely see him since he only keeps antlers for 6 days, we would surely mistake him for a Jack rabbit. It is unclear whether female Lopes were antler capable or not. One thing that is agreed upon in the science community is that the Jackalope species of original origin are most surely extinct, but that there may be a less conspicuous subspecies that may still inhabit the americas today. Sightings range all the way down to the southern reaches of Nicruagua! I believe!

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu