squirrel lips

Submitted by New at this on 2/1/05 at 5:07 PM. ( ) 4.31.110.92

When mounting squirrels, rabbits and other small mammals, do people save the inner lip and tuck it as people do for deer? Or, do they just shave off the inner lip and pin the mouth down in position?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Lips

This response submitted by Little Al on 2/1/05 at 5:43 PM. ( ) 207.14.78.28

Dear New at This,
Yea, ya better turn those little lips and tuck 'em just like the big ones. Least ways I always do. It's tedious work but the results are well worth it. Besides if ya shrink from tedious work ya might not want to do taxidermy at all. Use a very sharp scalpel and take yer time. This week I mounted two white weasels. I turned their teeny little lips and carved teeny little foam skulls complete with teeny little lip slots. Could'nt do it without my bifocals though. Good luck!
Peace!

Patience

This response submitted by Liz Donaldson on 2/3/05 at 9:12 PM. ( reflectionsofnaturetaxidermy"at"hotmail"dot"com ) 70.16.86.205

Yep. I have to agree with Al. They're a pain, but if you don't do it, you'll wind up with a bunch of crap! It takes a lot of time and patience, and when I first started it, I didn't know if I was cut out for it. I learn something new now every day, though. And the biggest thing I learned from this business IS patience. Your mounts will be better for it!

~Liz~

It's all about the lip.

This response submitted by Shadow on 3/7/05 at 7:20 PM. ( ) 168.12.253.66

New at this, I wouldn't shave off the inner lip, but I would give Liz's upper outer lip a quick shave. ;-)

Nothing compares to the Playboy Bunny belly button piercing, though. ;-) ;-)

She knows what I'm talkin' 'bout.

~Shadow~

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu