How long to flesh?

Submitted by Charley on 2/4/05 at 12:18 AM. ( Charley011583@yahoo.com ) 68.11.56.19

Hi,
I just got a flesh all mini flesher and was woundering how long it should take to flesh a coon or a fox? Just trying to get an idea of where I'm at.
Thanks
Charley

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

5 minutes to flesh, 2 days to repair all the holes

This response submitted by George on 2/4/05 at 8:36 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.133

These are two thin skinned animals and you shouldn't get a mini-flesher within eyesight of those hides. Use a draw knife and fleshing beam if you can't get all the hide off by hand.

bobcat in pickle without salt

This response submitted by Gary on 2/4/05 at 9:49 AM. ( eagle1renegade@hotmail.com ) 209.215.39.48

I just posted this somewhere else and I can't seem to find it, so I will ask again. Can I put a bobcat that i just skinned in a saftee acid pickle without salting it? Then can I tan it with liquid tan? All help would be appreciated. Thanks..Gary

yes to going strait into pcikle

This response submitted by terryr on 2/4/05 at 4:57 PM. ( ) 63.85.32.76

nt

About the mini flesher

This response submitted by Greg on 2/4/05 at 9:54 PM. ( bgwaite@lexcominc.net ) 204.116.66.135

I did my first fox and fleshed it all with a pair of scissors. I was real careful and still had alot of holes. I couldn't even imagine the destruction that a mini would do! I know the coyote I just finished was real thin in areas and I did it with scissirs and a knife, I wouldn't try it with a mini.

Not true

This response submitted by Charley on 2/4/05 at 11:28 PM. ( Charley011583@yahoo.com ) 68.11.56.19

The truth is that I have used the flesher on a coon, grey and red fox, a ringtail, prairie dog, and 3 opossums. It does work on thin skinned animals, of course you have to be gentle, but it works and I save time rather than using a knife. I just asked how long it took for other to complete there animals using this tool I know I'm not the only one that uses it on small mammals and if I am than that is ok with me. Either I am not very good with a know or I am good with the flesher but I do save a LOT of time on fleshing using this tool. How many of you that posted about it not working have really tried it on small mammals?

Charley, you obviously don't know me

This response submitted by George on 2/5/05 at 10:25 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

I don't post hearsay. I post opinions based on experience. And I know what I did when I owned one. If you were to check back a few years, you'll see I sold the one I had along with extra parts for about $50 which only paid for the shipping.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu