Need some Beaver advice

Submitted by daveh on 2/7/05 at 11:41 AM. ( daveh@whirlawaycorporation.com ) 68.249.226.167

I just got in a Beaver for a full body mount and have a few questions. The guy wants it chewing on a tree, so do i use the real teeth and skull or just teeth or use artificial. What a bout the web between the toes, should i inject with balmex or what? Any advice appreciated.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

my opinion

This response submitted by John W. on 2/7/05 at 12:55 PM. ( ) 66.249.49.6

daveh,I would use artificial teeth,because the real teeth will crack over time.You can use Balmex for the fingers and toes if you want,but on a bigger critter than a sqirrel I would personally take the time to skin the fingers and toes out.

thats suppose to be squirrel

This response submitted by illiterate on 2/7/05 at 12:58 PM. ( ) 66.249.49.6

what can I say ,been spending too much time in the woods?!?!

beaver teeth

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 2/7/05 at 9:52 PM. ( mhoney"AT"mindspring"DOT"com ) 207.69.12.205

Daveh, I have used artificial teeth but now use natural teeth. You don't need a jaw set for a commercial mount like you describe as only the front teeth really show. I hollow out a space in the mouth for the teeth and just when I'm ready to mount the critter I fill the hollow with Apoxie sculpt and insert the teeth. Soon as the skin is positioned on the head and face I adjust the teeth for proper exposure. I finish sewing and attatch to the base and then recheck the teeth before the Apoxie cures. John W. is correct about the beaver teeth being prone to splitting but set in the Apoxie they aren't going anywhere and if they do split I don't see a real problem as they are not really all that visable. I have sculpted beaver teeth from Apoxie that were very convincing and easy to make. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu