Too muck Caulk !

Submitted by Marc A on 2/8/05 at 11:47 AM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

I mounted a Bobcat before Christmas and used latex caulk for glue. The cat is laying down, and the caulk pooled in the bottom areas and is still not hardened. I noticed this last night while finishing the mount. Can't believe it hasn't slipped in these areas. I have it on its side with a fan blowing on it. Should I cut open these areas and squeeze out the extra caulk or will the fan get ur gone ?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Too Much Caulk !

This response submitted by Marc A on 2/8/05 at 11:54 AM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

Was in a rush !

not good

This response submitted by Joe V. on 2/8/05 at 1:06 PM. ( ) 216.203.7.84

Just my two cents. Poke a pencil size hole in the caulking area and pop it out like a zit. You are going to have a mess on the hair in that area but acetone will take it off quick and if it is on a non show area you should be ok. Word of advice use Epo-Grip it will never run. Then again if you use 4 or 5 jugs of it you will still have problems!

depends

This response submitted by mike on 2/8/05 at 2:34 PM. ( ) 64.233.135.38

I have had good success with no glue at all.

Syringe

This response submitted by Sam on 2/8/05 at 6:17 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

I would take a large empty syringe and suck out some of the caulk. This would eliminate the mess on the hair.

Caulk and bobcats

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 2/8/05 at 10:29 PM. ( mhoney"AT"mindspring"DOT"com ) 207.69.5.240

Marc A, Mike gave you a real tip in a very subtle way. Next time you do a bobcat try it without the adhesive- mount it like a duck, no adhesive. Done this way there is no tightening of the skin to pull the fur into unnatural patterns. You can taxi the skin around as needed for days and when it finally dries the fur is much nicer. I do use a little adhesive in the lower leg/foot area to get hock detail and on the face but that's it. Try itr once and I'll bet you put the caulk gun away. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Usually don't..

This response submitted by Marc A on 2/9/05 at 11:27 AM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

use glue on my small mammals, but this one was a little baggy, so I glued it. So far the fan is doing the job, the caulk is getting harder. I worked it around under the skin and it appears to be working. Thanks for the responces !

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu