Squirrel tails not fluffy?

Submitted by AJ on 2/8/05 at 11:13 PM. ( hilljack13@hotmail.com ) 4.138.32.86

anyone tell me why a when i mount a squirrel the tail will lay flat? it looks like someone took a comb and split the tail so that all the hair lays to either side. they were fluffy when i shot them.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Easy enough

This response submitted by George on 2/8/05 at 11:31 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.133

It's because you groom the tail toward the tip. Next time you've finished mounting the squirrel, take the mount in your hand , bend the tail wire in the pose that you want, and let the tail point upwards. Backbrush the hair toward the squirrel body. I use a fine baby's brush to do this and I make sure that the hair opens completely. Use your airbrush if that helps, but make sure the hair is BACKBRUSHED. Then get some cheap hairspray, preferable the max-hold type. At a distance of about 4 feet LIGHTLY MIST the tail. Allow it to dry. Then mist it again and let dry. By the third try, your hair will be locked in its perfectly "fluffy" condition.

UPSIDE DOWN

This response submitted by Angel on 3/1/05 at 1:22 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.133

I do the same as mentioned above and sometimes hang it upside down while its drying doesn't hurt.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu