gray fox question

Submitted by matt on 2/10/05 at 10:53 AM. ( ) 199.125.14.2

I have skinned a gray fox, and it has a green color all over one side, and it really has a bad odor, My first hought is bacteria, and rot. My question is can I save the hide, or is it ready for the dumpster. Wll it slip during the tanning process? Tahnks for any help.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

Get you some stop-rot

This response submitted by James Parrish on 2/10/05 at 11:02 AM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

Get some stop-rot and follow the directions. It may be too late, but I wouldn't give up w/out trying the Stop-rot first.

Skin should be okay...

This response submitted by tomdes on 2/10/05 at 11:16 AM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.13

Let me guess, the green was in the stomach area right? This actually starts not that long after death. Just leaving it overnight in the cold, it will start, it's the digestive juices coming out of the stomach. True, if it sits to long it will affect the skin, but I've done many with the green hue and they've come out fine. And about that smell, they always stink, that's just a little added robust! You might do as James said and soak they area in stop-rot, wouldn't hurt...

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu