Nictitating Membranes

Submitted by Never heard of them on 2/11/05 at 6:55 PM. ( ) 4.31.110.92

I ran across them on the web,looks like you use them in the eyes. What are they? Have you used them?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

they are similar to an eyelid

This response submitted by Jerry on 2/11/05 at 9:08 PM. ( beaumont2@earthlink.net ) 66.207.248.61

The nictating membrane is similar to an eyelid. the main time I remember hearing of them is in reference to sharks, this being the white "membrane" that covers the eye as they attack thier prey. if you have watched "shark week" you have seen the footage of attacks, it looks as if the eye rolls back as they attack. the shark does not have eyelids, but has the nictating membrane as protection.

Most animals (with the exception of primates)

This response submitted by jon on 2/11/05 at 9:57 PM. ( jonathan@harlequintaxidermy ) 68.184.178.161

have nictitating membranes. They are a small muscle controlled membrane that covers the eye for protection and sanitation. I deal with birds and they have them, they may be small and in some cases miniscule, but still a viable part of that animals anatomy. For a true representation of that animal, it needs to be reproduced. I'm not going to lie and say I put them on every mount I do, I simply do not. They are just one of the small things that unless you plan to take the time to do them right, chances are you're better off not worrying with them (I'm speaking in reference to birds, other animals it's a more prominant feature). My average customer wouldn't even know they were there, much less respect the fact I took the time to reproduce them.

However, if you plan to venture into the upper echelons of competition, then you're darn tooting a judge is going look for them, and they had best be there, and they had best be anatomically correct.

Jon~

Actually

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 2/13/05 at 12:32 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 205.188.116.134

Some refer to it as the 3rd eyelid. If you'll scroll to the "reference" at the top of this page,then go to mammals,and then go to large n.american large mammals to WT Deer you'll see it clearly! As usual, reference,reference reference. These are usually most prominent in high end commercial work and a must for competition. Live,learn, and you're welcome! Peace- Jef F.

Thanks You all

This response submitted by Never heard of them on 2/13/05 at 8:29 PM. ( ) 4.31.110.92

Thanks for all the great information, my questions have now been answered.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu