In over my head

Submitted by Bret on 2/12/05 at 8:51 AM. ( bodydesignsdsm@hotmail.com ) 205.188.116.200

For those of you not familiar...I started my first bear rug this morning. I have done only deer, shoulder mounts and pheasant in the past. I hung the bear up by it back last night about 11pm to thaw over night. This morning still a little frozen but paws were ok so I started them. Got one, yes I said one LOL done. My blades were not sharp, I bought cheapos. At 7:45 this morning I put him back in the freezer. I have never had to put something back in the freezer after I started it raw like that. Will this be ok? Ok commence ripping my a@# now. LOL. All info from everone has always been helpful.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

well

This response submitted by lee on 2/12/05 at 9:05 AM. ( ) 216.148.246.87

well thats probally not the best idea, esspicially on a bear but more than likely you will be ok. i wouldnt do it again thats for shure.
good luck.

it will be fine

This response submitted by fred on 2/12/05 at 9:16 AM. ( ) 64.201.199.202

Lee should learn how to friggin spell and give advice.You said your bear was still partially frozen it will be fine even if it was thawed completely one trip to the freezer or even the fridge to keep it cool is ok.

bear problems

This response submitted by Laurier on 2/12/05 at 10:10 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.48

Always take your work out in the morning so it will thaw for the next day. ALWAYS hang your work up by a back paw to thaw,let the weight of the skin open it up as it thaws.

When re-frezzing if the skin has wormed to room temp, put it in the freezer opened up for a couple of hours ,then roll it up and bag it.

go back to bed fred!

This response submitted by lee on 2/12/05 at 10:41 AM. ( westernriverstaxidermy@verizon.net ) 66.119.33.151

hahahahaha

I usually

This response submitted by cyclone on 2/13/05 at 7:57 AM. ( ) 67.137.8.225

Get all the fat and flesh off the entire hide and work the face before I tackle the paws. Salt everything after removing the heavy stuff and then go for the paws...

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu