Is There Anyone Left On This Forum

Submitted by Matt on 2/13/05 at 6:04 PM. ( ) 216.93.76.188

i have wrote numerous questions on here and no one is answering them. I would like to know if 44 rpms is to much to tumble a fox in. I converted a dryer and it runs at this speed. Also do you wait for all the oil to dry into the fur or do u tumble after five hours even if all the oil hasn't dried. I rolled it up after i oiled it cause for the McKenzie tan it says roll it up and wait for five hours. The part on skin that was exposed on the fox has already dried and the rest is wet. Should i tumble now or wait for it all to dry all the way?

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu

matt

This response submitted by lee on 2/13/05 at 6:09 PM. ( ) 216.148.246.151

your dryer will be fine as long as there is no heat on. you can tumble now as long as the oil has soaked in the required time.
lee

I have used a dryer

This response submitted by J.Randall on 2/13/05 at 6:15 PM. ( ) 216.176.161.150

Before and tumbled Fox with no problems. I used hardwood sawdust and filled the tub a little under half way up. I have no experience with McKenzie tan but I would tumble now.
hope this helps you out.

Matt

This response submitted by Wildwood on 2/13/05 at 6:20 PM. ( ) 63.184.129.131

Exactly what are you tumbling to do, is this for a life size if so ,wait the alloted time for it to sweat. Then if your going to mount it tumble it for 15min or so to partially dry and to give luster to the fur. I use hardwood sawdust.

For wallhanger

This response submitted by Matt on 2/13/05 at 6:31 PM. ( ) 216.93.76.188

The fox is goin to be a wallhanger and i have a fan on it now and will probaly tumble later tonight or maybe tomorrow. THis should be alright correct. From now on should i roll it up when i oil it or leave it unrolled. I think i will wait for more of it to dry in. Should i do this cause like i said in a spot it has dryed where it was exposed to air for 6 hours and that spot stretches easy.

44 RPM is SCREAMING

This response submitted by too fast on 2/14/05 at 7:29 AM. ( ) 67.140.192.212

slow down to about 20 rpm

dryer speed and furrier tumbler speed

This response submitted by Laurier on 2/14/05 at 8:59 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.7

furrier tumblers and MOST dryers ( 30 ) RPM to fast will not tumble
to slow , will only role the skin.

Dryer will do a good job on a fox, but do not fill it half way with sawdust, only 4 or 5 lbs,tumble ,when sawdust is damp,change sawdust and tumble until dry,cheque the skin regularly and brake the skin
(stretch it )

McKenzie tan

This response submitted by Hogger on 2/15/05 at 2:38 AM. ( ) 4.7.219.164

Before you tumble, you can wipe/wash away the excess tan. It comes out easy with warm water. If you still have a little tan oil left on it not a big deal. Mount, let dry then with warm damp rag wipe areas affected again and let dry again. Also, maybe you're putting too much tan on the critter? A thin coat (especially on a fox) a very thin coat will suffice. There should be no puddling. The residue should be only on the edges where cut skin meets hair. McKenzie instructions say to wash briefly after tanning. But I spoke with the McKenzie folks and they said no need to wash if you aren't getting heavy residue problems.

Return to Lifesize Mammal Taxidermy Category Menu